SUV for Manly Man

greg1647545532

My sister asked me for help finding her husband a car, but I've been given some tough criteria to work with:

Under $18.5 OTD

Under 100k miles

4WD

Can tow a small trailer with two ATVs

No domestics (preferred shop is foreign only, supposedly)

Must be extremely butch

Within 100 miles of their location (in NC)

He likes the FJ Cruiser, but they're not easy to find within that price/mileage range. I was thinking 4Runner with some aftermarket wheels/tires and some aftermarket off-road gizmos would be a wiser choice while still putting off the butch vibe that he needs, but even those are way more expensive than I thought. He mentioned XTerras but I haven't really looked into those.

I don't think he needs something body on frame, but other than the ludicrously expensive new Cherokee Trailhawk*, I can't think of any car-based foreign SUVs that can pull off a butch appearance. Am I forgetting something?

(* foreign? dunno)

These arent near NC im just giving examples of what could work, they can do the work to find something local to them.

The hummer h3 fits the bill every thing on your check list except its domestic.

http://www.ricart.com/used/HUMMER/2008-HUMMER-H3-a1627bc80a0a00de46d99725dc750611.htm

Toyota highlander seems not to bad eathier.

http://www.ricart.com/used/Toyota/2010-Toyota-Highlander-26fdaee20a0a00655893007c690f223d.htm

Wont be disappointed if he can find one. There are plenty of FJs under 100K for around that price. Just gotta look. 18.5K should net around 80K miles with a good deal.

The manual ones are full time 4WD and automatically come with the locker. ATs are part time (rear when in 2HI). The Manual ones thus always feel more planted to the road.

If he's on the book, check out the NCFJ page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ncfjcruisers/

I've wheeled with many of those guys and they may be able to assist. Good people

4Runners can be great as well. They are not as capable out of the box, but they have many perks. You have to think of the FJ as almost a 2-door. Also no auto opening rear windows (they sell an electric ram kit). Have to crack the rear glass to get any good airflow through with the windows down, when in contrast the 4RNR has power rear glass (along with the rear side windows)

The Highlander would be perfect for them but I can't find any pictures of one that's decked out to look manly enough. I'm guessing it wouldn't pass muster.

Thanks for the info, iwashmycar. He seems really set on the FJ and it's not my money, but I think he'd be much happier with the 4Runner if we can make it look the part. He's going to be a total poser, no plans to do any sort of real offroading.

LOL at Paul thinking the H3 and Highlander are manly.

Hell no i dont, but its the manlier of the possiblity of his choices. Most choice are all wheenie mobiles ( the kias, nissans, hondas)

What about a pathfinder?

Sounds like his brother in law needs to be less picky and just settle on a yukon or a excursion and be done with it.

Why not a crew cab truck?

I think he wants a 3rd row, they have 3 kids. Although I'm not sure what use the FJ 3rd row is considering you literally lose the trunk if you use it.

Are there any nice compact crew cab pickups with leather seats? I looked briefly for a crew cab Tacoma but didn't see anything nice.

I think he wants a 3rd row, they have 3 kids. Although I'm not sure what use the FJ 3rd row is considering you literally lose the trunk if you use it.

Are there any nice compact crew cab pickups with leather seats? I looked briefly for a crew cab Tacoma but didn't see anything nice.

Compact crew cab??? My first thought is TITAN, Tacoma, frontier, and ridge line if it must be import

2nd gen xterra would hit all points and be his best bet IMO. Real body on frame. Actually the same chassis as a full size Titan just reworked a bit. 270hp v6. Can tow over 5000lbs. Real 4x4 with locking diff (dana 44 on off-road models). You can even get one with a 6speed manual. You can fit a 33 inch tire under them without any real mods. 2nd gen started in 2006 or 7 but the facelift and little bugs were worked out by 2009.

I don't know what 'butch' means other than a penis extending 1 ton truck with 40" tires on it? I'm sure it doesn't fit that criteria, but for what it sounds like he's going to actually do, the Rigdeline is probably perfect. I'm not sure how much a trailer plus 2 ATVs are, but I can't imagine it's anywhere near 4.5k#s. The only sticking part might be the image that you can't fit 3 car seats into the back of a 4 door truck. Which is 100% not true, especially if it's an uoften occurance, but suddenly when people have 3 kids they need an MBZ Sprinter. But this is going to be a 'problem' with anything that's not an SUV with a true third row.

Honestly, maybe I'm not really sure what he's going to do with it because I think your distaste for this guy and his truck preference are bleeding through into this post too much rather than an understanding what they actually want/need.

Butch means it needs to be feminine yet trying to be masculine. Something that's a bit confused. Ridgeline, Pilot, MDX, 4Runner, etc. RAV4, Highlander, CRV, Subaru SUVs are downright feminine. Butch is never a good look, except to the lesbian partner.

Honestly, maybe I'm not really sure what he's going to do with it because I think your distaste for this guy and his truck preference are bleeding through into this post too much rather than an understanding what they actually want/need.

Man, I think you might be reading into this a little too much. But fine, here's the background.

I like my BIL well enough; he's got some strange ideas about religion but he's a nice enough guy and a great dad. He's a very talented electrical engineer; there's a good chance you owe some small part of the phone you're using to his chip designs.

Of course, he married my sister. She's mean and belittles him in front of us. I won't air all the dirty laundry here but frankly I feel bad for him, he could have done a lot better but rushed into marriage because, like I said, crazy ideas about religion. Also he's like 5'5" and giant computer nerd and was probably thrilled at the prospect of some poon. No judgement here, he and I have a lot of nerdness in common.

Anyway, he's got a 2002 Camry that needs some work and they don't want to spend money on it. They bought some land last year and he's started getting into hunting. He needs a new DD, but he wants something that will tow a trailer and get him around on his land (nothing too crazy, from what I've seen. Like I said, he ain't tackling the Rubicon.)

He's picked an FJ Cruiser, based on what I can only assume is its rugged appearance considering that a RAV4 would probably do fine for what he needs. And that's fine, most car purchases, including my own, are made for irrational reasons because people fall in love with a certain car. Clearly he likes something about the FJ, and I doubt it's the ground clearance or the 3 windshield wipers. I think he just likes the way it looks.

But his overbearing wife has put a set of restrictions on the purchase that I'm finding hard to work with. Yes, there may be an FJ Cruiser with less than 100k miles within a 100 mile radius of his house for under $18.5k, but I haven't found it. Also, they want to buy it next week, so it's not like he can sit around waiting for the right car. This is all pretty tough.

So I figure, if I can find a suitable substitute that looks the part but is more plentiful and cheaper, they'd probably appreciate it.

Surprised no one has mentioned the 2005-2011 pathfinder. Has third row and its useable. They look mean and have tons of features.

Look great lifted as well

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii192/goblue90/Post-Lift/RachoSpacer_Left.jpg

Looks like just the truck if you ask me.

:fuckyeah:

Id never get an FJ with 3 kids. I will never have 3 kids. Ive had one for 9 months now and I am still on the "never again" boat. I couldnt fathom getting a family of 5 into an FJ with the suicide doors in any parking lot. Its hard enough with a diaper bag and one kid lol ...but thats why we got the Rav4 too!

I secretly pine for an 80 series Land Cruiser, but I dont want to depend on something that old when I am so used to a newer truck.

To add fuel to the fire: 18 grand for 80K miles and a ton of good mods - http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/vehicles-sale/315050-2007-titanium-18-000-80k-miles.html

(I know it isnt close to him, its an example)

One in Columbia SC - 100K for 16.5. - http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/vehicles-sale/365146-2007-silver-4wd.html

Richmond - 125K for 15. - http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/vehicles-sale/345066-2007-silver-fj-16500-a.html

Edited by iwashmycar