PSA: Don't Fucking Text and Drive!!

jeffro

This is why I no longer own a motorcycle.

Me too. Have wanted one since I was 15...not gonna do it. Not with the way traffic/driver's are these days.

I have to consciously exert effort in regards to not making phone calls or texting while driving, but this vid demonstrates exactly why I do so. Not worth it. Even bluetooth phone capabilities. Doesn't matter if both hands are on the wheel or not. I literally blew right through a red light while talking on the phone a few years ago even using bluetooth through my truck. By the grace of God there was no accident or citation, but at that point I told myself nope...no more. Personal call? It can wait. Work call? It can wait. Neither of those are worth someone losing their life over.

Me too. Have wanted one since I was 15...not gonna do it. Not with the way traffic/driver's are these days.

I have to consciously exert effort in regards to not making phone calls or texting while driving, but this vid demonstrates exactly why I do so. Not worth it. Even bluetooth phone capabilities. Doesn't matter if both hands are on the wheel or not. I literally blew right through a red light while talking on the phone a few years ago even using bluetooth through my truck. By the grace of God there was no accident or citation, but at that point I told myself nope...no more. Personal call? It can wait. Work call? It can wait. Neither of those are worth someone losing their life over.

This is exactly how I am, except i feel as i dont need to really put much effort into it. I put my phone in my pocket, dont bother checking it at all for the text sound while driving, and if its a phone call ill look at it (To determine if its a priority, parent calling etc.) and go from there. If im even talking on my phone while driving (Which again is rare cause holding a touchscreen smartphone with your shoulder and driving a stick doesnt work well) i generally tell the person that im driving and ill call them back later.

Im so against people using there cellphones while driving, and not even just cellphones, but ALL the ridiculous shit I see people doing while driving, instead of driving. Be great if the police could enforce the no phone use while driving, but look at them. There on there phones just as much, plus all the other distractions the officer has between the radio, laptop, driving, etc.

Theres a lot more I have to say about distracted driving but i cant put to words what im trying to say at the moment. Nearly every single one of these drivers made it worse for themself when they looked up and over reacted, looks like almost every video shows them yanking the wheel the opposite way then ending up off the road or whatever.

Edited by Fubar231

There needs to be an app for that. Seriously. you are getting in your car, turn on the app. It automatically silences your ringer/vibrate function and alert notification. Also, when it receives a call or a text, it automatically responds with a text letting the person trying to reach you know that you are currently driving, and that you will be notified of their attempt once you reach a safe place to chat. Hell, you could probably get that funded by the .gov and make a mint. Cell phone carriers would be selling it as a free service with their phones.

There needs to be an app for that. Seriously. you are getting in your car, turn on the app. It automatically silences your ringer/vibrate function and alert notification. Also, when it receives a call or a text, it automatically responds with a text letting the person trying to reach you know that you are currently driving, and that you will be notified of their attempt once you reach a safe place to chat. Hell, you could probably get that funded by the .gov and make a mint. Cell phone carriers would be selling it as a free service with their phones.

My 4 year old razr came with an app called Drive. It does all that and turns on my phone's GPS.

My 4 year old razr came with an app called Drive. It does all that and turns on my phone's GPS.

If it's already out there, then why the fuck aren't folks more aware of it? shit, you would think some soccer mom whose kid was affected by this would be out on the campaign trail espousing it's benefits to the world at large.

Eh live once, You just have to be extremely vigilant. With that said I have one close call every week during the warm months on two wheels, people suck but there's a million ways you can die easily.

If it's already out there, then why the fuck aren't folks more aware of it? shit, you would think some soccer mom whose kid was affected by this would be out on the campaign trail espousing it's benefits to the world at large.

Dom Tiberi.

most new cars have bluetooth integration where you can operate your phone from the steering wheel without taking your eyes off the road (it will even read txts to you). I'm not talking about only '15 cars here, most of the rentals I have driven for work for the last 2 years had them. It takes 15 minutes to setup properly and yet most of the people I know with this functionality don't use it. go figure. People are just stupid and lazy.

I set it up for my father in his volt last time I was in NY, he's 71 so he wasn't going to use it without a setup and a tutorial but now it's the only way he uses his phone in the car.

As for riding bikes - well it ain't driving a car. If you can't devote all your concentration and focus to operating a motorcycle (and I mean everything) then it is probably not for you. It is not the place to just sit in the saddle like a sack of potatoes and contemplate the nice weather. If you can be situationally aware at all times however, managing the risk of riding is not difficult even in today's traffic. from 2006-2011 I rode into Manhattan on 30+ year old motorcycles nearly every weekday and never had an issue - ohio traffic? cakewalk. But I couldn't think about my day or what am I going to have for lunch on the way it - it was always Where am I, where do I need to be, what are the cars around me doing, etc....

God damnit, between this and the don't drink and drive thread, I'm running out of activities to do while driving. Still got meth tho!!

No shit, I couldn't do my job if I couldn't read/write emails, texts, take calls, read technical manuals, search part catalogs or surf the net while in route to clients.

Wrote this at 70mph on I77. And didn't take my eyes off the road. Bunch of noobs.

Those kids also need to work on crash avoidance. Veering onto the the berm? Better yank this fucking steering wheel as hard as I can the other way.

This. One teen car control clinic (which are readily available, esp here in central ohio) and half of those accidents don't happen. Yes the cause is still the same they aren't paying attention but over correction caused more trouble than it helped there.

Those kids also need to work on crash avoidance. Veering onto the the berm? Better yank this fucking steering wheel as hard as I can the other way.

This. One teen car control clinic (which are readily available, esp here in central ohio) and half of those accidents don't happen. Yes the cause is still the same they aren't paying attention but over correction caused more trouble than it helped there.

Least I wasnt the only one thinking this...

The girl at 1:12... that is what happened to our babysitter... except her car ended up rolling multiple times and she died.

She drifted way Left of Center...but I will say she didn't panic and remained calm unlike most of the others.

This is why I no longer own a motorcycle.

I had 3 different bikes. Sold the last one within 2 weeks of owning it because of close calls. Never again will I own a motorcycle. 95% of drivers I pass are texting or fucking with there phone.