Nice places to go eat in Columbus

The_buster

The Top. We got out of there under 200 (not including tip) last night for our anniversary. Always a good meal.

Looking like we will try this place. Menu looks good. Is there a decent view? Thanks! And we will definitely be trying out all the other places mentioned. Thanks again everyone!

And if anyone has any other places feel free to list them. I want to try to take her out once a month. Just for some us time.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Top is my favorite place for steak in Columbus.

But that said, I don't think of it as romantic. I guess there's no accounting for people's varied tastes in such things. There's dark wood paneling, amber-colored plastic light shades, it's loud at times (sometimes live piano performances), and about half the patrons are retired.

The view? There's a great view of the 1960's there.

I'll be anxious to hear what you and your wife think. Bon appétit!

Looking like we will try this place. Menu looks good. Is there a decent view? Thanks! And we will definitely be trying out all the other places mentioned. Thanks again everyone!

And if anyone has any other places feel free to list them. I want to try to take her out once a month. Just for some us time.

No view...but it's a good time. I've been going there the past 25 years so I enjoy it because I grew up going there. The food is awesome and the atmosphere is old school. You can enjoy a good meal for a nice price, our bill included a $60 bottle of wine my wife likes.

But that said, I don't think of it as romantic. I guess there's no accounting for people's varied tastes in such things. There's dark wood paneling, amber-colored plastic light shades, it's loud at times (sometimes live piano performances), and about half the patrons are retired.

I think it's romantic... When it's not hopping with people. Dimly lit, hasn't changed in decades, comfy booths, good food and service, works for us. :)

Well I mean they do advertise themselves as a "true 1950's supper club"

I personally think the atmosphere is pretty cool.

2 things..

1. I just searched "lago" and found a thread where someone asked about a good spot for under 80 bucks and I saw a reply where someone said Bel Lago sucked and I commented in a nature where I agreed whole-heartedly. I have been to Bel Lago 2 times. First time we sat on the upstairs patio, had a drink, and then we went downstairs to sit down and left after being seated because the menu sucked and there were bugs (by the 100's) crawling on the window will next to our table. 2nd time was a work function... Their johnniewalker black was as good as anyone else's..

2. Realistically (based on your accusation/opinion), throw out a dollar amount of how much I'd have to pay you to leave The CR forum entirely. I am tired of your threads/replies.

Might just be the hangover I have... Sorry if I'm moody...

Bel Lago was the 3rd awful restaurant to be in that building. All have sucked, all have gone out of business. It's a shame too because the building and location are great

Bel Lago was the 3rd awful restaurant to be in that building. All have sucked, all have gone out of business. It's a shame too because the building and location are great

I assume it's a location-thing. The owner/creator of Bel Lago is a very successful guy. He's built a much more complex business than that place in his other venture.

I assume it's a location-thing. The owner/creator of Bel Lago is a very successful guy. He's built a much more complex business than that place in his other venture.

I dunno, everyone I know that ever ate at Bel Lago thought it was awful, including me. The location is fine, but it needs to be one of those night menu/day menu places. During the day serve good burgers and the like for people who just want the setting and some good food. At night switch to more of a traditional casual restaurant menu (italian would probably work). Everyone in that are WANTS something good there, but all 3 restaurants have just had awful food. You should have seen the parking lot on Thursday nights when Bel Lago did their wine and appetizers special. People would have to park at the shopping center and walk over.

Top has very good food. I'm just not into the whole "old raggedy place that you are supposed to think is cool because it's old and ragged". Just my 2c obviously.

I dunno, everyone I know that ever ate at Bel Lago thought it was awful, including me. The location is fine, but it needs to be one of those night menu/day menu places. During the day serve good burgers and the like for people who just want the setting and some good food. At night switch to more of a traditional casual restaurant menu (italian would probably work). Everyone in that are WANTS something good there, but all 3 restaurants have just had awful food. You should have seen the parking lot on Thursday nights when Bel Lago did their wine and appetizers special. People would have to park at the shopping center and walk over.

I see what you are saying

That area is just dead. The shopping center is dead. Infact I tried to lease the old tanning salon in that shopping center across from Bel Lago but they would rather it sit empty then lease it as they are trying to sell it.

The only people who visit that area are residents within a 1 mile vicinity.

The Bel Lago building is outstanding but something really special has to go in with good food to be successful. I completely agree with you LJ on a day/night menu.

That area is just dead. The shopping center is dead. Infact I tried to lease the old tanning salon in that shopping center across from Bel Lago but they would rather it sit empty then lease it as they are trying to sell it.
There have been many good businesses that tried to get into the shopping center. The owners chased them all off. Hopefully they sell it to someone competent.

The only people who visit that area are residents within a 1 mile vicinity.
There is a LOT of money in the area, Medallion, Mariner's Cove, all the houses in Galena and the area around Hoover. Hell, land goes for over $20k per acre in the area. Any good, well managed business can succeed there. When the Big Bear closed it has been the highest grossing store in the company's history.

There is a lot of money in that area no doubt. That area also has a bunch of people who are house poor.

Seemingly less than other affluent areas though. The 43082 foreclosure rate and vacant home rate are lower than places like Powell and Dublin.