Need Speeding ticket Lawyer advice.

944s2

Ok so my cousin got caught speeding 82 in a 65 otw home from Cleveland Sunday. He lives in Dayton so he does not want to have to appear in Cbus and obviously would not have to if he just paid the ticket through the mail, but his goal is to get a no points violation/lower fine AND not have to drive to/appear in Cbus. He did a quick google search and the first Cbus lawyer that came up was Doug Riddell. Anyone know anything about this guy or have any recommendations?

Cliffs: Cousin wants to use his money to avoid points on license, who is in good with the prosecutor?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing here constitutes as legal advice. Your cousin is not my client, not is there any intention to create a client relationship.

82 in a 65 in Cbus, the plea deal they will likely offer him right off the bat is to bust the ticket down to under 10mph over the limit which will not show up as points on his license (it may still report to your insurance company as a speeding violation). So if he doesn't want to hire an atty that is the deal he will likely get if he just shows up with his proof of insurance card with him. This is from my own personal experience and not my professional experience.

I don't know anything about Doug Riddell. But to be honest do you need to know much? I mean really all your cousin may need is a warm body to show up on his behalf to get what he wants so one atty is as good as another in this instance. It might cost him more than the violation and insurance increase would be, but if he needs a clean license for another reason or he just can't show it is preferable to just paying the fine. My suggestion is to call up whatever atty you are going to hire and interview him or her over the phone. Ask about how the case disposition will go - explain where your cousin needs to be and let the atty make the case for hiring him. DUI and traffic attys make their money off of volume so at the very least the practice will be predictable and he should be able to generally tell your cousin how it will go and how much it will cost.

From the past experience of a guy I know......not legal advice:

He may have to just bite the bullet and show up

However, on the points issue: asking for no points and having the magistrate grant your request doesn't prevent your insurance rates from going up....it just means not having points added to your record.....if that's the only goal.....then one could show just show up at the court date and just ask that no points be added ....one should .have a good reason though....e.g. Based on previous driving record if applicable

If one is looking for no rate increase, then one could plead not guilty and the court would give another a court date....if one is lucky, then the officer may not show and the case could be dismissed

Jason Blum (bloom). Tell him Tim Lauro / Tamie Snyder sent you his way. He'll treat you right and worked with my wife at the prosecutors office. He knows his way around the system.

Thank me later. Good luck.

I have used Doug Riddell for a speeding ticket in Franklin County court before. I'm unsure what exactly happened, but the ticket was thrown away and not changed to a lesser charge; I didn't even pay court cost.

Or, follow Tim's advice.

Thanks guys, he was super impressed with Doug, the guy called him back right away after his initial inquiry, then after looking into his ticket information says he can most likely get it knocked down to nothing for like $250. Then he calls my cousin back and says,

"Well this is rather awesome. The lawyer just called me back. The city I got the ticket in has a program I can just do online. I pay the fine and for that program and the offense never gets reported to the BMV. Don't need to get a lawyer or anything"

I thought that was pretty cool, Doug could have just kept mum about it took my cousins "out of town" money and done the same thing for him but instead chose to lose the client and tell him about this program. So it's gonna cost my cousin $185 total.

Thanks again for the advice though everyone.

Thanks guys, he was super impressed with Doug, the guy called him back right away after his initial inquiry, then after looking into his ticket information says he can most likely get it knocked down to nothing for like $250. Then he calls my cousin back and says,

"Well this is rather awesome. The lawyer just called me back. The city I got the ticket in has a program I can just do online. I pay the fine and for that program and the offense never gets reported to the BMV. Don't need to get a lawyer or anything"

I thought that was pretty cool, Doug could have just kept mum about it took my cousins "out of town" money and done the same thing for him but instead chose to lose the client and tell him about this program. So it's gonna cost my cousin $185 total.

Thanks again for the advice though everyone.

Good, now tell your cousin to not be a dumb ass and dont speed so he doesnt have to worry about these things. If you speed you gamble to get these tickets man up and take the consequences.

25 over is not an automatic reckless, either.

Source: I have a speeding ticket ONLY last year for 100 in a 65. Still 4 points, but reckless was not tacked on. Paid it online, didn't even require a court appearance. All this from a state trooper, lolol.

Good, now tell your cousin to not be a dumb ass and dont speed so he doesnt have to worry about these things. If you speed you gamble to get these tickets man up and take the consequences.

Dont be a troll, everyone knows the risk when speeding. I clearly stated be was just trying to get out of the ticket. There is no "manning" up and paying your fine. It's not like you get to throw down in the ring with the judge and if you knock him out you get out of a fine. It's stupid government bullshit (hence the reason it's so easy to get out of).

25 over is not an automatic reckless, either.

Source: I have a speeding ticket ONLY last year for 100 in a 65. Still 4 points, but reckless was not tacked on. Paid it online, didn't even require a court appearance. All this from a state trooper, lolol.

I got hit with a 65 in a 35. No reckless op. I showed up in court and the prosecutor approached me and offered to reduced to a less than 10 over, paid grand total of $100, and went home.

I knew that cop was bullshitting when he said I was going that fast. Car at the time had a failing CV and would have been shaking like a paint mixer if I was above 50.