Looking For A Bug Person

Fiji ST

Seems like a woodpecker has punched two holes in my wood siding and I would like someone to come out and make sure I don't have termites or something crawling around in there. Can anyone recommend me something who won't sell me a bunch of bull?

Thanks.

Seems like a woodpecker has punched two holes in my wood siding and I would like someone to come out and make sure I don't have termites or something crawling around in there. Can anyone recommend me something who won't sell me a bunch of bull?

Thanks.

There's a good chance there's nothing. What diameter are the holes and have you seen the actual woodpecker?

There's a good chance there's nothing. What diameter are the holes and have you seen the actual woodpecker?

The one hole is about the size of a silver dollar, the other one is smaller. I have seen the woodpecker, which apparently there's two now according to the wife. She's telling me she has seen a thin one with a longer neck and the one I've seen is a pudgy bastard.

The one hole is about the size of a silver dollar, the other one is smaller. I have seen the woodpecker, which apparently there's two now according to the wife. She's telling me she has seen a thin one with a longer neck and the one I've seen is a pudgy bastard.

Given the time of year, larger holes generally indicate a bird's attempt at nesting. Many wooden parts of a house have a bit of a hollow sound to them when pecked so they think they can bang out a hole and there'll be a cubby in there. When they bang for grubs, etc, the holes are usually in multiples and far smaller.

Can you get to the holes? You should be able to visually confirm any insect burrowing. Do the birds just keep hammering out the same hole? If so, that's another nesting indicator. It's probably too late now, but you can try providing nests specifically for those types of woodpeckers you're seeing.

If it's nesting behavior, a little research will probably net you a few other alternative solutions.

If you can get up there and snap come good pics, post them up. Of the birds, too, if you can catch them in the act.

After figuring that out, get ready for carpenter bee season. :p

Given the time of year, larger holes generally indicate a bird's attempt at nesting. Many wooden parts of a house have a bit of a hollow sound to them when pecked so they think they can bang out a hole and there'll be a cubby in there. When they bang for grubs, etc, the holes are usually in multiples and far smaller.

Can you get to the holes? You should be able to visually confirm any insect burrowing. Do the birds just keep hammering out the same hole? If so, that's another nesting indicator. It's probably too late now, but you can try providing nests specifically for those types of woodpeckers you're seeing.

If it's nesting behavior, a little research will probably net you a few other alternative solutions.

If you can get up there and snap come good pics, post them up. Of the birds, too, if you can catch them in the act.

After figuring that out, get ready for carpenter bee season. :p

Interesting information. I'll have to do some more research on this. Thanks for the insight.

I have seen the woodpecker, which apparently there's two now according to the wife. She's telling me she has seen a thin one with a longer neck and the one I've seen is a pudgy bastard.

Sounds like most marriages. :p