Cutting the cord DVR question

Richard Cranium

I'm getting closer and closer. I started looking at the high def antennas, looks like there are some nice ones out there for not much money. One question I have for those that have cut the cord is about DVRs. I've gotten to love just recording shows and watching them later. I would have a hard time giving this up. Who is using a DVR with an HD antenna?

What are you using?

Why did you pick the one you have?

Would you buy that one again, or a different one?

I have several TVs in the house. It would be nice to network them and be able to watch recorded shows on other TVs. Just looking for ideas and input.

As far as antenna choice hit http://www.antennaweb.org/ it will tell you what type of antenna to buy and where to point it.

I use a DVR with OTA but unless you're a geek my solution is not something I'd recommend.

Cool, I'll check out the antenna info, thanks! I was just going to grab an antenna off Amazon, but I'm always open to a better product and better experience.

I am a nerd and an IT instructor, so my threshold of technology is high. I was just reading a C/NET article about the Nuvyyo Tablo. Sounds like interesting tech. Only additional cost beyond the hardward is $5/month for guide information.

http://www.cnet.com/products/nuvyyo-tablo/

Cool, I'll check out the antenna info, thanks! I was just going to grab an antenna off Amazon, but I'm always open to a better product and better experience.

I am a nerd and an IT instructor, so my threshold of technology is high. I was just reading a C/NET article about the Nuvyyo Tablo. Sounds like interesting tech. Only additional cost beyond the hardward is $5/month for guide information.

I'm running a linux box with MythTV and using Kodi on all the remote "TVs" as a front end. I'm blessed with having no shortage of computer hardware to use as clients. My scheduling info comes in from SchedulesDirect for like $12 a year.

here's the answer to all your problems... jetflicks.mobi.. it integrates with the Roku and other devices as well... it's I think 130 a year and streams HD... it's like HULU but WAY better... it has allowed us to completely drop down to basic cable with internet (only reason for keeping basic is because it ended up being cheaper because of the internet discounted rate if you bundle with cable.

I'm getting closer and closer. I started looking at the high def antennas, looks like there are some nice ones out there for not much money. One question I have for those that have cut the cord is about DVRs. I've gotten to love just recording shows and watching them later. I would have a hard time giving this up. Who is using a DVR with an HD antenna?

What are you using?

Why did you pick the one you have?

Would you buy that one again, or a different one?

I have several TVs in the house. It would be nice to network them and be able to watch recorded shows on other TVs. Just looking for ideas and input.

We have a Tivo Premier . Its working ok with the antenna. This series of Tivo has known pixelation issues with antennas however- it helps that it has built in apps for Hulu, Amazon instant video, netflix and youtube.

I would possibly by a new Tivo, if i didnt have a million other things to spend the money on first. It works for our needs

I bought this one and get 28 channels very clearly

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KVUAGU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Xbox One will support hooking up OTA antennas. They are supposed to allow recording as well to a USB hard drive. You would have to read up more on that. This is probably not worth the money if you do not already have an xbox one :p

Can you name some of the channels? Just starting to look into this and we probably only watch a couple hours of TV a week across maybe 5 channels, so the $130/month for cable doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks

Your not gonna get special channels- they will all be

ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/CW/USA/WOSU/PBS

and varients of each of them

Check this for a better list. http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

CW/USA only work half the time for me, but i have a shitty antenna

List from hilliard

Stations Antenna

W23BZ-D 23.1 IND

RF Channel: 23

8 miles at 155° Yellow

WBNS-DT 10.1 CBS

RF Channel: 21

5 miles at 112° Yellow

WCLL-CD 19.1 DAY

RF Channel: 19

5 miles at 112° Yellow

WCMH-DT 4.1 NBC

RF Channel: 14

5 miles at 112° Yellow

WCPX-LP 48 AZA

RF Channel: 48

5 miles at 73° Yellow

WCSN-LD 32.1 IND

RF Channel: 33

5 miles at 73° Yellow

WOSU-DT 34.1 PBS

RF Channel: 38

15 miles at 41° Yellow

WSFJ-DT 51.1 IND

RF Channel: 24

23 miles at 75° Yellow

WSYX-DT 6.1 ABC

RF Channel: 48

6 miles at 131° Yellow

WTTE-DT 28.1 FOX

RF Channel: 36

6 miles at 131° Yellow

WWHO-DT 53.1 CW

RF Channel: 46

28 miles at 180° Yellow

WGCT-CD 8.1 REL

RF Channel: 8

7 miles at 71° Red

WDEM-CD 17.1 IND

RF Channel: 17

5 miles at 112° Violet

The Xbox One will support hooking up OTA antennas. They are supposed to allow recording as well to a USB hard drive. You would have to read up more on that. This is probably not worth the money if you do not already have an xbox one :p

Well since gaming systems were brought up.... PS4 has its whole own cable service and DVR app starting to be released(PlayStation Vue). It's only in 3 major markets right now, so I'm not sure of prices yet, but I may consider getting it when it it comes to our area pending pricing and if I can really pick and choose what I want to keep cost down. I haven't had cable/dish for over 3 years and the only thing I miss are my sports stations because I can't find a cheap way to stream them.

I'm running a linux box with MythTV and using Kodi on all the remote "TVs" as a front end. I'm blessed with having no shortage of computer hardware to use as clients. My scheduling info comes in from SchedulesDirect for like $12 a year.

Damn that is tempting. I was looking in to that and really considering it ... then I remembered I'll have to teach my wife to use it. If I was single I'd probably go that route. I think I'll probably end up with a more complete pre-packaged solution.

Damn that is tempting. I was looking in to that and really considering it ... then I remembered I'll have to teach my wife to use it. If I was single I'd probably go that route. I think I'll probably end up with a more complete pre-packaged solution.

My wife has actually been pretty tolerant of my experiments.

Although compared to most cable boxes its apparently easy to use. None of our guests ever seem to have trouble with it. The only minor annoyance is a separate remote to turn on the TV which I could work around with a serial cable if I *really* wanted to.

All the menus are pretty intuitive, and I programmed the "power" button on the remote to kill all the pertinent processes and relaunch them. So if anything does go wonky it's a one button fix, at absolute worst I can SSH through my phone from anywhere I am and reboot the box.

The MythTV recording side is rock solid though. I only ever had issues with it once and that was because of a PCI tuner card that was failing. I'm using a HDHomeRun network attached tuner now and it's easy to setup and the bonus is super short coax runs.

There's been countless threads made of this exact question. Hit search, type in cable and hit enter. There will be at least 4 quality threads in the top 10 of that search.

You're Welcome.

/thread.

none of them are about DVR's you tater, go chop some wood

Well since gaming systems were brought up.... PS4 has its whole own cable service and DVR app starting to be released(PlayStation Vue). It's only in 3 major markets right now, so I'm not sure of prices yet, but I may consider getting it when it it comes to our area pending pricing and if I can really pick and choose what I want to keep cost down. I haven't had cable/dish for over 3 years and the only thing I miss are my sports stations because I can't find a cheap way to stream them.

Oh nice I didn't even know about that. Well I have 2 choices since I own both systems :)

if you are just wanting to record local shows, why not just use HULU?

I'll probably add HULU to Netflix and Amazon once I cut the cord. I'm not so much a sports person (unless engines are involved) but she is. I'll regret any solution that doesn't let her watch her Bengals. I also assume that HULU doesn't carry everything (awards shows, etc...) that we/she likes to watch.

To be honest, i could probably get by without the DVR myself (most everything I'm interested in I can stream).

I'll probably add HULU to Netflix and Amazon once I cut the cord. I'm not so much a sports person (unless engines are involved) but she is. I'll regret any solution that doesn't let her watch her Bengals. I also assume that HULU doesn't carry everything (awards shows, etc...) that we/she likes to watch.

Your wife has her priorities right where they need to be.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the trigger on this TABLO setup. Seems to be pretty feature rich and a little outside the box. The unit is up and running with an external 2TB drive for storage. I used a medium grade Amazon brand antenna I picked up for cheap. The unit does not connect directly to a TV, but into your house network. I ordered a couple ROKU boxes from WOOT yesterday to connect the DVR to the TVs in the house. That will also give me access to Netflix and HULU with a simple interface on a single device. I can also watch recorded shows on a PC, tablet, smart phone, etc... I can schedule recordings from any device as well. If I reconfigure my router, I'll be able to stream my recorded shows outside my network and watch TV remotely over the internet on any mobile device. So far so good. It was a little pricey to get set up, but I'm hoping the ease of use will pay off in the end. I should recoup my entire investment in tech within 5 months. It was more than I planned, but I didn't skimp like I could have. I did buy the 4 channel DVR and the 2TB hard drive.

I pulled the trigger on this TABLO setup. Seems to be pretty feature rich and a little outside the box. The unit is up and running with an external 2TB drive for storage. I used a medium grade Amazon brand antenna I picked up for cheap. The unit does not connect directly to a TV, but into your house network. I ordered a couple ROKU boxes from WOOT yesterday to connect the DVR to the TVs in the house. That will also give me access to Netflix and HULU with a simple interface on a single device. I can also watch recorded shows on a PC, tablet, smart phone, etc... I can schedule recordings from any device as well. If I reconfigure my router, I'll be able to stream my recorded shows outside my network and watch TV remotely over the internet on any mobile device. So far so good. It was a little pricey to get set up, but I'm hoping the ease of use will pay off in the end. I should recoup my entire investment in tech within 5 months. It was more than I planned, but I didn't skimp like I could have. I did buy the 4 channel DVR and the 2TB hard drive.

How many channels are you pulling in on your antenna? And are they clear or does the signal fade in and out?