Anyone have/used outdoor natural gas heaters?

cruizin01

Moving into a new house next week and it has a nice covered patio on the back.

We are looking to have a natural gas line ran with quick disconnects to run a grille (probably MHP) and possibly an outdoor heater of some type.

I originally wanted a glass tube style heater as they look awesome but a nice one (lave heat) is about $1k and people complain they don't output what they advertise 40-50k BTU. So Im tempted to not go that route due to cost and not knowing whether they are worth a crap. There aren't even any dealers in Ohio.

So at this point I might just buy a mushroom/normal bar style cheap Chinese version for ~$200 and see how that goes.

Looks like a lot of them are similar and rebranded with different names.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

My 2nd question is can I use it under a sloped metal roof with 2x4 wood rafters? The roof is about 9-10 feet sloping to 7-8ft towards the outside. I see most of these are about 6-1/2 feet tall. Is there a concern with heat above the reflector and or "exhaust" under the roof?

And yes I know the grill shouldn't be under the roof but Im not sure if these heaters have the same recommendation.

TIA

Derek

http://http//guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/101/12/24/9/dayton-1tgr2-patio-heater-gas-type-ng-ss-8-ft-radius_2049399.jpg

I think all you need is typically 30" of clearance all around...so if you can get that you are good. If not you may look into the ceiling mounted or wall mounted versions...like in a restaurant patio for example. If it is open air, exhaust really isnt an issue. You are simply heating air, so it will immediately dissipate...which is why you only really feel warm when close to them.

Now, the grill...not smart at all to have under a porch...completely different animal. When you smoke the house out you will move it anyway.

I have both. I love the look of the glass tube. They are more expensive, but the only reason I think they don't put out the heat they are supposed to, is the metal deflector on the top is not large enough. I'm actually in the process of trying to create a larger deflector to push the heat down rather than letting it escape. The larger Mushroom style heater works fantastic but they get to look pretty ugly after a few uses and tip over easily in the wind. The triangular shaped glass tube style never tipped over, but needs more modest improvement in order to make them more efficient.

I have both. I love the look of the glass tube. They are more expensive, but the only reason I think they don't put out the heat they are supposed to, is the metal deflector on the top is not large enough. I'm actually in the process of trying to create a larger deflector to push the heat down rather than letting it escape. The larger Mushroom style heater works fantastic but they get to look pretty ugly after a few uses and tip over easily in the wind. The triangular shaped glass tube style never tipped over, but needs more modest improvement in order to make them more efficient.

Do you know what brand/model glass tube style you have? And I thought the same thing about the small reflector on top.

I think all you need is typically 30" of clearance all around...so if you can get that you are good. If not you may look into the ceiling mounted or wall mounted versions...like in a restaurant patio for example. If it is open air, exhaust really isnt an issue. You are simply heating air, so it will immediately dissipate...which is why you only really feel warm when close to them.

Now, the grill...not smart at all to have under a porch...completely different animal. When you smoke the house out you will move it anyway.

Thanks for the tip. I assumed there was a typical distance recommendation. I think the height might be the only issue. But with a large reflector the distance above might be less of an issue. It would be easy to keep an eye on.