Advice: junk, part out, or repair? Honda 2005 V6 Accord

Bad

Transmission folded up and died.

Car has 200K on it. Engine is strong and well maintained with oil and service.

Body is decent, interior is decent, needs rotors and tires soon.

Looking on a nudge on what to do with the car. Sell it to junkcars for $1000, part it out, or put a new tranny in (used 100K tranny for $2200 installed, rebuilt for $3000 installed, buy a 100K tanny for $1700 and install myself.)

What used to be a simple decision in my life now has be a total ambivalent crossroads where I just want to slip a coin. I don't have any triple sided coins though.

Not a "for sale" thread or a "WTB" thread. If you have input in those topic areas PM me.

Let the collective intelligence weigh. In 24 hours I'll make a decision.

Thanks for your time and feedback in the requested categories.

Edited by Bad
Stupidity errors

Car-Part lists a local transmission with 112k for $800. $1700 seems steep, and if you're just going to fix it and sell it then you just need a transmission that works, not necessarily one with low miles.

With 200k miles it looks to be a $3500 car. Paying someone to replace the transmission is pretty close to a wash vs scrapping it for a grand. Installing a $1000 transmission yourself and then selling it seems like the way to go if you have the time.

What you really need to ask yourself is how much do you like the car? If you like the car, then fix it and carry on driving it.

Has it had it's second timing belt?

How much oil is the engine using?

What are the tires like?

What I'm getting at here is what is the rest of the car like mechanically? If you spend say somewhere near $2,000 to fix it that's like having a $170 a month car payment for a year as long as nothing else goes wrong that is a major expense. The question then becomes can you get something that will be better than the car fixed for $170 per month. If no, then fix it and drive the thing.

Being a mechanic i'm a little biased towards fixing, especially knowing there is no way I'd spend over $1k.

A good working car is just more valuable, if you can't fix it yourself then sell it to someone who can. I think paying over $2k unless you're attached to it is stupid, and it doesn't sound like you are.

What you really need to ask yourself is how much do you like the car? If you like the car, then fix it and carry on driving it.

Has it had it's second timing belt?

How much oil is the engine using?

What are the tires like?

What I'm getting at here is what is the rest of the car like mechanically? If you spend say somewhere near $2,000 to fix it that's like having a $170 a month car payment for a year as long as nothing else goes wrong that is a major expense. The question then becomes can you get something that will be better than the car fixed for $170 per month. If no, then fix it and drive the thing.

Sean,

It's due the second timing belt.

Oil use is nil. Hardy half-a-quart per 6.5k Mobil 1 changes. I know, premature changing is a waste to some. I say 200k is a badge to my strategy.

Tires are actually good for tread...the rubber has aged to where rain is slippery again.

I bought the car for my now 20-year-old...second owner. No attachment to the car. Just the idea of scrapping it kinda eats at me. Then there is the 17-year-old who might want a car.

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.

Tony

Edited by Bad
Sean

Car-Part lists a local transmission with 112k for $800. $1700 seems steep, and if you're just going to fix it and sell it then you just need a transmission that works, not necessarily one with low miles.

With 200k miles it looks to be a $3500 car. Paying someone to replace the transmission is pretty close to a wash vs scrapping it for a grand. Installing a $1000 transmission yourself and then selling it seems like the way to go if you have the time.

Greg,

I'll have to check later this morning...if I can find a tranny for $800...I am liable to be tipped into clobbering my weekend with a project (Mikee?) Yeah paying for labor puts me on the scrap side. Thanks for the input.

Edited by Bad
Be=me

Being a mechanic i'm a little biased towards fixing, especially knowing there is no way I'd spend over $1k.

A good working car is just more valuable, if you can't fix it yourself then sell it to someone who can. I think paying over $2k unless you're attached to it is stupid, and it doesn't sound like you are.

It's the insurance and the drivers on my policy that pulls me down. With three women with points ranging from 17, 20, and my wonderful trophy wife...you get the picture.

I would sell it as-is and move on with life, but I've been known to be lazy.

I'm lazy after two other jobs during the week. Then there's the honey-do list of renovations. <sigh>

I see $1956 for a rebuilt from Shift Point through CarParts.com.

2005 Honda Lx V6 3.0l

I had a 2000 accord v6 for quite a while, it ended up going through two transmissions I believe and I know Honda actually got sued over the transmission problems with that model. Transmissions going were a pretty common problem with them.

Just saying, might not last too long on a rebuilt one either if you're thinking of keeping it after fixing it. I'd probably cut your losses and sell it.

I own/operate a small auto repair shop just west of the city. I do these regularly (Honda v6 Trans replacements). If you still need it replaced my advice to you is to stay away from a used/junkyard trans. I can do these for about $2600 with a Reman trans with a 3 year 50k mile warranty. I've done many, many of these with no issues or problems after repair regardless of mileage.

Sorry, my point was that if the car is still in reasonably good condition other than the trans then its probably worth fixing. Honestly the only real problem with these cars is the trans, these Honda's are great and will run forever.

I own/operate a small auto repair shop just west of the city. I do these regularly (Honda v6 Trans replacements). If you still need it replaced my advice to you is to stay away from a used/junkyard trans. I can do these for about $2600 with a Reman trans with a 3 year 50k mile warranty. I've done many, many of these with no issues or problems after repair regardless of mileage.

Thanks for the insight and offer Jeff. I'll keep you in mind.

Only reason car is not gone yet is JunkForCars dropped their price on me.

So considering $2200 to rebuild-and-replace through another shop in Hilliard.

Only reason car is not gone yet is JunkForCars dropped their price on me.

To what? sounds like a dick move but that is their business model - pay as little as possible for something they are going to part out.

To what? sounds like a dick move but that is their business model - pay as little as possible for something they are going to part out.

Dropped from $1000 to $900. No reason why...waiting on a call to explain. 10% is a significant irritant to me.