WWCRD: selling a car in my collection

Forrest Gump 9

Hello all

About six years ago I bought my first AMG, since then I've added another three rare AMG to my collection. I bought them with the intention of keep them for a long time, hopefully one day these cars will help pay for my boys college tuition.

Anyway, one of the car I have is an 2000 C43 AMG. In 2000 MB only brought 22 of these C43 AMG to the US market. Mine is black on black. It's one of six in that combo.

I've owned it for about a year now, it's 8-9 on a scale of ten with 70k miles. I have a person that tracked me down and ask to buy it for more than 50% of what I paid. I really don't need the money, but it would be nice to have some extra cash. Do you think these modern classic car will ever appreciate like the 60-70 muscle car? Should I sell it and buy some old muscle car? I do want to buy an old Stingray or an 50' pickup truck.

Do you mean 50% of what you paid (losing money) or 50% over what you paid? If you mean 50% over, I'd call it a good investment and put the money in the bank until another good deal comes along so you'll have the cash waiting. Certain modern cars absolutely appreciate. I'm not super educated with German cars, but I would think a 1 of 6 AMG car in great condition with lower miles would certainly hold or appreciate in value.

Sell sell sell, the reason is to make profit and That is what you will be doing... Is waiting another 5-10 years worth the money tied up for a extra 10-15% profit??? No if someone is serious sell it and use that money to re invest and keep the ball rolling.

If there is a piece of you that says you'll regret it, then hold on to it.

I fucked up and sold the wagon :(

It's 50% more than what i paid. Took it out for a drive last night, felt pretty good.

The problem is if I sell it I don't know when I'll be able to find another one like it. But I guess the fun is in the chase right?

Honestly, I would have to know how much you paid and how much the offer is to decide without a personal attachment. 50% more over purchase price could be only a couple thousand depending how much you bought it for. Depending on the car, that may not be worth it.

I'm in much the same position, BTW. Purchased the porsche for 16k, and market value and real offers have been given to me for OVER double what I paid. Is it worth it to me? Yes. Will I have a chance to own another car like that again? Probably not. I'm still holding out for a wee-bit longer unless something else comes along.

Honestly, I would have to know how much you paid and how much the offer is to decide without a personal attachment. 50% more over purchase price could be only a couple thousand depending how much you bought it for. Depending on the car, that may not be worth it.

I'm in much the same position, BTW. Purchased the porsche for 16k, and market value and real offers have been given to me for OVER double what I paid. Is it worth it to me? Yes. Will I have a chance to own another car like that again? Probably not. I'm still holding out for a wee-bit longer unless something else comes along.

It was worth 16k to you but is it worth 32+ to you??? All depends on how mich you make etc but if I can turn 16k for little effort it would be gone faster than the ink on the title could dry. There are always more cars and toys out there to find and have fun with. If someone offered me a deal on my V it would be gone like the rest even though I have no intention to sell it currently but money always talks and "I" don't make enough money to not care about huge profits no matter how much I like the car it's still that a car.

Worst is if Samantha hit your car in her civic because she was not paying attention you can kiss your high profit % down the drain

Worst is if Samantha hit your car in her civic because she was not paying attention you can kiss your high profit % down the drain

This is a valid point. If you buy a vehicle as an investment and continue to use it it's a really risky venture.

If you bought it because it's what you want and it turned out to be an investment then enjoy the shit out of it and and if it still happens to make you money in the end then great added benefit.

My Gt3 is that way, I never Intended for it to be an investment as such I use the shit out of it as I please. The problem for me is the next car I want is doing the same things value wise putting it even further out of reach even though my current ride would make me money. Sometimes I wish it would have depreciated like any other car so I did t feel so bad about tracking it.

As for the OP. If you bought the car as an investment and it's grown as desired and you have someone offering you cash then cash out of your investment and roll into the next one.

The problem is if I sell it I don't know when I'll be able to find another one like it.

Who cares? It's an old ass Benz. Just because they are hard to find doesn't automatically make them cool. It's not as if we are talking 560sec. Do the logical thing... Sell it, buy guns.

I'll never find another 2000 C43 AMG again if I sell this one. I still kick myself in the butt every time I see your car. I had a chance to buy it but just didn't like the purple so I never went to see the car.