WTB: sub-$2K "vacation car"...or "Back in the car game Part IV"

zeitgeist57

Now take this car and flip it for a car you actually want to drive. Jk, sounds like you got a good deal on it. If this is going to be a Florida only car, why bother with trying to make the paint look good? I would just put a couple coats of rattle can clear over it as it will just start peeling again soon enough.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now take this car and flip it for a car you actually want to drive. Jk, sounds like you got a good deal on it. If this is going to be a Florida only car, why bother with trying to make the paint look good? I would just put a couple coats of rattle can clear over it as it will just start peeling again soon enough.

Agreed. And if you're serious about lowering the car, spend that money on some tint to keep the interior cooler in Florida. It's a nice car for $800 though!

Some clearcoat peeling on the roof but I'm going to respray it before 4th of July. If the basecoat is exposed, do you need to repaint or can I just flash 2-3 coats of clear over them? It's black so color matching isn't a big concern.

Do this: get a little hand sander and 300 grit. Sand the roof smooth so you can't feel the clear coat peel. Get some rustoleum satin black. Spray the roof satin black. Reapply every two years. No wax no rust no problem.

Good ideas, guys...I do have a HVLP gun and other air tools for sanding...thought I'd try a decent product and try my luck. Will see about getting a car cover for FL.

Wife/kids going to Maine next week...will tackle Cavalier maintenance items. :thumbup:

Eventually I still need to fix the BMW as well. How sad that I'm freshening up a Cavy first... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

http://i.imgur.com/pfbtgL4.jpg

Big thanks to Wes (TheMrWes) and Kerry (Geeto67) for numerous nights helping me tune up and polish the Caddilier. Made the trip to the Smoky Mountains in GA and then 85+mph on I-95 through FL flawlessly.

Passat (background) is going to CarMax Naples in the morning for sale. She's been a good car.:(

I continue to appreciate the assistance guys on CR provide. Thanks everyone! :thumbup: