WTB: sub-$2K "vacation car"...or "Back in the car game Part IV"

zeitgeist57

I have a friend selling a 2004 Saturn L200 with less than 100k miles for 2500. Nothing wrong, his wife is upgrading to a Rogue. Only issue is the a/c doesn't work (compressor is toast). Basically perfect shape, they've put over 1500 in it the last year with all new brakes, etc.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend selling a 2004 Saturn L200 with less than 100k miles for 2500. Nothing wrong, his wife is upgrading to a Rogue. Only issue is the a/c doesn't work (compressor is toast). Basically perfect shape, they've put over 1500 in it the last year with all new brakes, etc.

Pics? I need a gas sipping beater...

-Marc

Well, I convinced my wife that the Buick Roadmaster is a great idea. Unfortunately, the two cheap wagons I called/texted were both some flaky motherfuckers. One was "Oh yeah, the A/C needs recharged", the other was a dealer who didn't have maintenance records and had no idea the history of the car. Craylist gon' cray...

For emphasis: Looking for a good, cheap car on the used market is not as easy as it looks...nor is it worth the hassle/frustration. Gonna talk to the wife about expectations this weekend...

OK...so after a lot of start/stop searching, I think I'll be picking up a 2004 Cavalier LS Sport sedan with 105k miles. I'm definitely not proud of it, but it's a one-owner car in very good condition. They bought a new Sonata Limited and this thing is sitting. It'd be $1000 or a little less...owner's talking to his wife today. More to come. Thanks to Steve-O for a price estimate over the phone that seems to make them happy. :)

One-owner, window sticker'd at $18k, 41k miles on Goodyear tires, Ecotec 2.2L DOHC, terrible "lot rot" ( dusty funk all over the bumpers/side molding/rear spoiler/door handles, you can see how "stuck" it was on the asphalt driveway, not sure if the rotors are just horribly rusted or if there's a wheel bearing with issue as well as I drive it). The A/C blows ice cold, everything works, and I've already got a $200 parts list on RockAuto. :)

Some clearcoat peeling on the roof but I'm going to respray it before 4th of July. If the basecoat is exposed, do you need to repaint or can I just flash 2-3 coats of clear over them? It's black so color matching isn't a big concern.

Should be a great runner! Wish it was a 5-speed manual instead of the 4T40 automatic but oh well...at least its PW/PL/Cruise/CD-AUX stereo. Gonna drop it 2" and then I'm good. :D

I guess if you have to go Cavalier...get the "top-of-the-line" model. :gabe:

"You never go full cavalier!"

Clays family on the way to Florida:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/f8daf82dfb980fc75af0cbff533a7a99.jpg

I remember a guy on here a while back, definitely years ago now, that had a very modified cavalier. It was white and actually looked pretty nice. If I recall had swapped a 3.4 or 3.8 in it?

I did a quick search and came up empty back to 2009ish. Might be older than that. Somebody else has to remember this thing.

I remember a guy on here a while back, definitely years ago now, that had a very modified cavalier. It was white and actually looked pretty nice. If I recall had swapped a 3.4 or 3.8 in it?

I did a quick search and came up empty back to 2009ish. Might be older than that. Somebody else has to remember this thing.

I remember a guy with a turbo 2.2 Cavalier that was white, and another one on here that I thought was orange maybe?

I remember a guy with a turbo 2.2 Cavalier that was white, and another one on here that I thought was orange maybe?

Just found it lol.

User name is datwhitecavy

It was actually a turbo 2.4 :)