The fun did not last long...oil pump took a crap

caseyctsv

So, took my new-to-me 2011 Camaro SS upto Delaware to show my parents. Everything was going perfectly - parked it and had dinner. Went back out to start it and got a "low oil

Pressure shut off engine". Immediately shut it down. Checked the oil, looked good. Started it to see if maybe it was an error reading and got the same warning and shut it down, again immediately. Doing some research and find it is a known problem with the Ls3. So lucky it happened here - it is sitting in my parent's garage (versus in the 700+ mile trip home). Now to decide if I want to tackle it myself or tow it to IPS.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just recently did one on an LS3 Camaro, it sucks to do. Other tech in the shop just did one on an LS3 Corvette. I'm still at the dealer if you want another option. Sucks to hear, but at least you made it home.

any symptoms or warning signs? can this just happen out of the blue? What kind of miles are on yours?

Typically seems to be happening on start-up, relief valve sticks open, dumping oil back to pan. Possibly thicker oil being used than called for? Even a 10wt in older ls engines seems to raise oil pressure quite a bit. Nonetheless, Not well thought out design. No warning.

As CDK said, no warning. Given this is a new car to me and I have been worried about probs since day 1, I have watched the gauges like a hawk. Took my dad for a quick spirited drive and all gauges were good. Idled in his driveway a while as neighbors wanted to hear it :). Shut it down and when I fired it up after dinner is when I got the warning.

The releif valve sticks, it can be intermittant and not even do it consistantly. The pump design hasn't really changed since the LS1 came out so nobody, other then maybe some engineer at GM, can tell you why the LS3s seem to have more of the issue.

Sorry to hear about your new car. At least you caught it on time. Hopefully no damage to the engine.

I actually read where someone said I should start it and floor it...apparently that is supposed to free up the stuck valve...

That sound like a troll move. Either that or that man is a gambling man.

Thanks guys - yeah I was up a good chunk of the night last night doing research. It seems that most in my situation put a new pump on and are good to go. There are some that end up with catastrophic damage but I am going to hope most of those guys were driving when it happened or drove it with no pressure. I am certain it had good oil pressure right up until that start up with 0 oil pressure. For what it's worth it appears to affect ALL LS3s and ALL years at least through 2013.

Thanks guys - yeah I was up a good chunk of the night last night doing research. It seems that most in my situation put a new pump on and are good to go. There are some that end up with catastrophic damage but I am going to hope most of those guys were driving when it happened or drove it with no pressure. I am certain it had good oil pressure right up until that start up with 0 oil pressure. For what it's worth it appears to affect ALL LS3s and ALL years at least through 2013.

After it's fixed you'll have the piece-of-mind that you will never have to worry about it failing again.

The trick is getting it towed and into a repair shop without some dude starting it again...

Exactly.

My Elise oil cooler line busted open on the freeway and sprayed all of it's oil everywhere, and the dumbass dealer it was towed to started it.

My Camaro was the one that just recently had the oil pump do the same thing. Freaked me out. Luckily I haven't modded the car and got it covered under warranty.

Good luck with getting it fixed. Hopefully its a one time deal for us.