Shudder when braking - new rotors/pads up front and still does it.

bucd

Quick question.

Car shudders when braking, can feel it in pedal and sometimes steering wheel from high speed. So I thought, front rotors and pads and I'm good to go.

Did that last night, shudder still there. Rear are drums, so I want to get some thoughts on this. So I cruise up to about 30mph and use my ebrake to slow down, it shakes. Is this a valid test that the drums or shoes is the culprit?

I've never swapped out drums or shoes before so I'm not sure what to look for if I was to take it apart.

thanks in advance,

-D

That's a possibility. Drum friction surface can still be affected by the elements creating uneven friction. The parking brake test seems to point in that direction. Have the drums turned if replacement is cost prohibitive.

the checklist:

___ tires (bumps, flat spots, bubbles, etc)

___ brake components (rotors, pads, drums, etc)

___ wheel bearings

___ CV Joints (cracked boots, worn joints)

___ ball joints (control arms & rack)

___ control arm bushings

___ sway bar links

___ Upper strut mounts/bearings

If it only shakes under braking something is obviously related to the brake components or what they are mounted to. Drums do get out of round, and by applying the e-brake you've proved that they are out of round. If that's not you're only issue, and you've replaced fronts already it's likely a hub issue. Either it's corroded and not sitting flat or it's warped.

I had a shake under braking and over certain speeds when i had a bad CV joint. how are your CV boots?

Had this happen to me many of times giving the same issues not when i do the ebreak though

Or too many fat chicks in your car.

Just throwing this out there as food for thought. Just because you put new rotors on does not mean they are perfect. We turn brand new rotors with an on car brake lathe every brake job and it's surprising how many rotors are not within tolerance right out of the box. Yes, that is with cleaning the hubs, and yes that is with "ultra premium" high end rotors.

You can always pop the drums off and run them by most shops and have them turned. Probably cheaper than replacing them if you are doing the work yourself.

Just throwing this out there as food for thought. Just because you put new rotors on does not mean they are perfect. We turn brand new rotors with an on car brake lathe every brake job and it's surprising how many rotors are not within tolerance right out of the box. Yes, that is with cleaning the hubs, and yes that is with "ultra premium" high end rotors.

You can always pop the drums off and run them by most shops and have them turned. Probably cheaper than replacing them if you are doing the work yourself.

What he said.

I have seen this before so it's something to consider. This is where having a dial indicator and actually checking it will save you a lot of guessing and time.

I agree with Crossle on aftermarket rotors & drums being warped out of the box, BUT did you check the brake caliper slides? if on of those are sticking it'll cause vibrations when braking, see it all the time on Honda's

Ive only done front rotors and pads. Slided are good, i greased them as well. I will probably do drums next and go from there. If that doesnt do it, ill look at front end suspension.

Thanks again all,

-D

Just wanted to update you guys on this. I was able to work on it last night. When i took my wheels off. When i go to turn the drums, i can feel uneven drag, smooth for 1/3 turn and then it drags and then frees up again. So i took off the old drums and shoes looks great, clean up and thought i would test fit the new drums. So i put them on and started turning them, and they have a slight drag but even all the way around. So i thought well, let's see if it's just the drums. Did this to both side and took a test drive.

Sure enough, smooth as can be now with just replacing the drums.

Thanks again guys. Was just really odd to feel shaking on both pedal and steering wheel and it wasn't the front rotors. The ebrake test kinda confirm the rears, but like i said i've not work with drums before so wasn't sure.

-D

Yea we have seen it plenty on times from GM. Warped out of the box.

Just wanted to update you guys on this. I was able to work on it last night. When i took my wheels off. When i go to turn the drums, i can feel uneven drag, smooth for 1/3 turn and then it drags and then frees up again. So i took off the old drums and shoes looks great, clean up and thought i would test fit the new drums. So i put them on and started turning them, and they have a slight drag but even all the way around. So i thought well, let's see if it's just the drums. Did this to both side and took a test drive.

Sure enough, smooth as can be now with just replacing the drums.

Thanks again guys. Was just really odd to feel shaking on both pedal and steering wheel and it wasn't the front rotors. The ebrake test kinda confirm the rears, but like i said i've not work with drums before so wasn't sure.

-D

Noice man. Glad you got it resolved. Such a good feeling when you fix something that has been troubling you for a while.