WTB: Porsche 911 [930/964/993] 1980-1998

ItzaME

Realistically, what's your budget? How much money have you put aside to throw into a car like this?

The rule of thumb nearly everyone talks about in the air-cooled forums, was buy the best example you can afford because these cars are more expensive to fix up rather than buy in good condition the first time around.

Buy something with engine trouble, you're looking at an easy $5k rebuild. Body parts and miscellaneous parts need replaced? That stuff adds up REAL quick.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that I hope you know what you're getting into.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically, what's your budget? How much money have you put aside to throw into a car like this?

The rule of thumb nearly everyone talks about in the air-cooled forums, was buy the best example you can afford because these cars are more expensive to fix up rather than buy in good condition the first time around.

Buy something with engine trouble, you're looking at an easy $5k rebuild. Body parts and miscellaneous parts need replaced? That stuff adds up REAL quick.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that I hope you know what you're getting into.

Realistically 15-20k range. That is without straining myself and selling all my toys/being able to pay off the rest of my two years tuition.

something like this if I picked it up for 20k or less would do, lots of new parts and the thing is if I ever want to get rid of it I should have no trouble re-selling because I watch damaged ones sell for 10k+ all day:

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/5079843486.html

Since its about to be sold within a few hours here's the one that needed some paint and interior work that was up for 10k, this again is a good car for what I'm looking for. Just like many people get hook-ups I would pay a fraction of what most would pay to have the exterior looking minty. Have been working with one of the best professional painters in the area since I've messed with cars and he'd have it shining. Even buying it for the new bullshit adjusted price of 15k id be able to have it looking pretty great for less then 20. But him being in Boston and me in Cleveland is the downfall making it difficult to make the buy:

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/5080488088.html

@dq_driver

I was looking around and there is this 911SC for a decent price and I offered him 24k and he was thinking about it thoroughly, you can tell he wants to accept or is a few grand away from letting it go. If I bumped it up a bit and told him I'd come out today and its all cash in hand it would probably seal the deal but It was more of a test to just see what his bottom dollar was but just shows there's decent ones for ~25k running and driving.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5081177509.html

I suggest putting an additional 10-15k aside, on top of that 20k.

It will be there. But most likely car will be gone if I have to spend more money on it then I know I can get out of it. I know it comes with owning these cars but its not too hard to balance everything out.

@JewToys if I find a nice low mileage 930 for less then 30k, will you pay me the difference from my price purchased and 30k? Has to be clean title and less then ~70k miles of course.

@JewToys if I find a nice low mileage 930 for less then 30k, will you pay me the difference from my price purchased and 30k? Has to be clean title and less then ~70k miles of course.

Why would anyone do that? If he really wants one he would find it himself. He wouldn't need you to be a middle man.

Why would anyone do that? If he really wants one he would find it himself. He wouldn't need you to be a middle man.

Exactly, that makes absolutely zero sense to me or anyone who isn't a fucktard with half a brain.

I do kick myself for not picking one up 2-3 years ago for mid 30s, but that's life.

I don't understand the point of this thread if you can get a 930 for 30k, but want to spend 20k on something beat..... Take a look at what 930s are trading for.

Exactly, that makes absolutely zero sense to me or anyone who isn't a fucktard with half a brain.

I do kick myself for not picking one up 2-3 years ago for mid 30s, but that's life.

I don't understand the point of this thread if you can get a 930 for 30k, but want to spend 20k on something beat..... Take a look at what 930s are trading for.

Kill yourself.

:lol: You guys read that wrong. I'm not saying HE buys the car and then pays me money, I was saying I uy the 930 and he gives me the difference of 30k..

For example I buy it for 28k and difference is 2k but anyway it was more of a joke then anything who the hell would give someone money for the free.. no need to get butt hurt fruits.

However, I did find one for a little over my budget and situating the deal right now. If everything goes through should have by mid next month.

Will keep ya updated

:lol: You guys read that wrong. I'm not saying HE buys the car and then pays me money, I was saying I uy the 930 and he gives me the difference of 30k..

For example I buy it for 28k and difference is 2k but anyway it was more of a joke then anything who the hell would give someone money for the free.. no need to get butt hurt fruits.

However, I did find one for a little over my budget and situating the deal right now. If everything goes through should have by mid next month.

Will keep ya updated

I'm just trying to wrap my head around, why you wouldn't pick up a 930 you can get for 30k or less? But want to spend 20k on some ratted out Porsche? That 930 would easily yield a 30k or more profit if it's as you state? :no:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around, why you wouldn't pick up a 930 you can get for 30k or less? But want to spend 20k on some ratted out Porsche? That 930 would easily yield a 30k or more profit if it's as you state? :no:

The only reason was I wanted to stay under 20k is because its the amount of money where even in worst case I can make most of anything spent back. There is just a tipping point to me where it becomes a real gamble and in my situation there is no reason to gamble with that amount of money.

The one I'm talking to you about now is what I'm in the process of getting. We shall see if seller comes through.

It's a Porsche. Some cars never really make financial sense, so if it doesn't come together for you you may have to come to terms that this is a car you might lose money on due solely to the nutzo fruitbats that have seemed to enter the Porsche marketplace in the last 2 years.

Gotta ask yourself, do you want a 911 or a flip, because you may not be able to have both. I am not saying you shouldn't try, but at the end of the day there is the car marketplace and the Porsche marketplace and the two are not the same.

honestly this is all just a lot of flap for a vw beetle with two more cylinders and a speed snail.

It's a Porsche. Some cars never really make financial sense, so if it doesn't come together for you you may have to come to terms that this is a car you might lose money on due solely to the nutzo fruitbats that have seemed to enter the Porsche marketplace in the last 2 years.

Gotta ask yourself, do you want a 911 or a flip, because you may not be able to have both. I am not saying you shouldn't try, but at the end of the day there is the car marketplace and the Porsche marketplace and the two are not the same.

honestly this is all just a lot of flap for a vw beetle with two more cylinders and a speed snail.

Pretty much summed it up.