WTB: Porsche 911 [930/964/993] 1980-1998

ItzaME

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Danny popp driving my c5z I think it would be quite interesting

With Sebastian Vettle driving my flying carpet I'm sure it'll be faster yet. Either way a stock C5z isn't going to touch Andy's GT3.

Cars are never a good investment but good cars in the years you are looking at are all only going up in value. If it were me I'd find the best deal I could find on an SC or 964, keep it close to stock and make it as nice as possible and you will never lose money on it, might even make money on it.

To be clear this is not true on post 993 cars unless they have a GT badge on them.

Makes sense but Id want to drive it a lot and keeping stock might be a challenge. Might have to get two.. or three lol..

"For the money, though," is the saving grace of every Corvette owner.

I see their point too. I highly considered one as a replacement to my rx7. A C5z would be faster, more reliable, and ultimately likely cheaper than doing another Rx7 track car. It's the best speed per dollar you can buy out there, but it just wasn't "me" and I didn't think id like the ownership experience outside of the track as much.

Yes with the shell I would be going the renegade hybrid ls swap route. Investing ~15k into a beast like that is do-able and I don't see it as a crazy amount in a badass car like that. I'd rather get familiar with the format of the car that way anyway. Throw a set of wheels on it and could easily get my money back if not make profit if I decide to sell..

I hate to burst your bubble- but the generation of cars you are talking about are valuable because of the air cooled engine and pure feeling that newer cars have muted due to bigger sway bars and tires (not my words)

A Renegade Hybrids swap and a set of non Porsche wheels to one of these shells will not allow you to "easily get your money back or profit" in any way whatsoever.

I don't know how the 911 RH kits are but I have personally done the RH 924/944 V6 V8 kit and I wish I would have started from scratch with my own kit.

It's the sliding scale of pointlessness, though. If a C5Z is only a few seconds slower than a GT3 for half the price, and a base model C5 is only a few seconds slower than a C5Z for half the price again, and ....

That's how I ended up with a Miata :)

Exactly and a C6Z or C7Z will be dead even or faster in the 'ring for less money.

Andy, I don't know why we are even talking about GT cars in this thread? The OP asked about 86-98 cheap 911s? And I never even brought up my C5Z but I will admit when he mentioned the LS swap I was definitely tempted ;-)

My father had a 1 of 16 M491 cab he bought new and only drove about 10K miles he sold back in the early 2000s. Neither he nor I miss that car in the least.

If you are looking for a track beast and are Porsche crazed why not an SC or 2.7 car and LS swap that- The 993/996 fiberglass will bolt on.

If you want status the later cars are a bargain to be had.

FWIW I threw Danny Popp in there as he is the best corvette driver I know and I have heard Andy is quite the driver.

Exactly and a C6Z or C7Z will be dead even or faster in the 'ring for less money.

Andy, I don't know why we are even talking about GT cars in this thread? The OP asked about 86-98 cheap 911s? And I never even brought up my C5Z but I will admit when he mentioned the LS swap I was definitely tempted ;-)

My father had a 1 of 16 M491 cab he bought new and only drove about 10K miles he sold back in the early 2000s. Neither he nor I miss that car in the least.

If you are looking for a track beast and are Porsche crazed why not an SC or 2.7 car and LS swap that- The 993/996 fiberglass will bolt on.

If you want status the later cars are a bargain to be had.

FWIW I threw Danny Popp in there as he is the best corvette driver I know and I have heard Andy is quite the driver.

Andrew..I enjoy your good humor and the fun banter back and forth...i fear we've derailed this thread though. Danny in your car vs. my car would be an interesting match...dude could set lap records in a radio flyer wagon!!! My car is an '04 GT3

To clarify - the only reason I mention water cooled GT cars in reference to the raising values of the air cooled cars, they are the only water cooled choice that is going up not down in values. Honestly his best bet at a "good" car in his price range is a 996 but it won't have values like the air cooled stuff. Though I agree you put a renegade kit in an air cooled car and it's not doing anything for value either.

Why such a huge range of 911? There are some big differences in driving experience, equipment, styling, etc. in that range. Have you driven one at all? Just curious because my assumption at this time is no. I come across 911's somewhat frequently "for sale" on the down low sorta like a interview process. Cars come in for service and the owner will drop "well, I would consider selling" and if we mention no one they are happy to just keep it.

There is a '71 ish targa behind the shop right now that needs the suspension, brakes, and carbs completely overhauled that if he decided to sell would probably go for sub $10K. We sold a 205K mile '89 Anniversary car for $5K that ran and drove, but was a huge project, etc.....

Why such a huge range of 911? There are some big differences in driving experience, equipment, styling, etc. in that range. Have you driven one at all? Just curious because my assumption at this time is no. I come across 911's somewhat frequently "for sale" on the down low sorta like a interview process. Cars come in for service and the owner will drop "well, I would consider selling" and if we mention no one they are happy to just keep it.

There is a '71 ish targa behind the shop right now that needs the suspension, brakes, and carbs completely overhauled that if he decided to sell would probably go for sub $10K. We sold a 205K mile '89 Anniversary car for $5K that ran and drove, but was a huge project, etc.....

In an earlier post I mentioned that I have not driven one. I've heard countless times however and talked with a few owners.. I could deal with it and with all the modern suspension and parts that are offered today its not a huge problem. PM me details on that targa if you can I'd be interested and that '89 also sounds like something I would have been interested in while it was selling. Not looking for a mint 911 as my first would rather get more familiar with them. I've been following a few builds and one guy has an immaculate 911 that he wrenches on in his driveway and had no experience with Porsches before hand. I'd rather learn and shouldn't get myself into a deep hole even with the worst luck & everything failing.

Ran across this pover996 and made me think of you. Roll the dice for $11k?

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/5076947369.html

Looks like an okay price for the car but hate those headlights, would be my very last choice for a 911 and could probably finish up a lightly damaged one with a lot less miles for less then 10k.

Listen to this bullshit! Found an 83' targa 911 posted 3 hours ago few hundred miles away and he wanted 10k. Needs new paint from sitting outside and some interior love but zero rust or rot and runs/drives well. I'm talking to him & getting info and then half hour later he tells me he is sorry and that the owner is raising the price to 15k?!? Uhhh wtf... so close but yet so far... Oh well

I checked 911SCs a few weeks ago and I didn't see a complete/running one for under $25K except for one with a salvaged title at $20K.

Do you know the secret hand shake?

Ok So what would you pay for a running/driving '83 911 targa with 90k miles that needs paint and minor interior work with a clean title?

No idk the secret handshake but it sounds fruity.