New to shooting

TimTaylor751647545500

I shot rifles and shot guns when I was a kid, but I've been to the range twice recently and had a blast both times. Shot a Glock 26 the first time and took my Stepdad to the Bullet Ranch last Thursday for Father's day and shot a Glock 19 (which I liked a lot more). Definitely interested in shooting more (especially since there are 3 ranges not far from my house), so looking for suggestions on what models I may enjoy shooting. Hoping to eventually purchase a hand gun for range shooting and home defense as well.

Thanks ladies & gents.

Did you like the built in trigger safety? If so, you have a couple good choices for similar guns. I am personally not a fan of those (but I do own one, S&W M&P). I think that is a great gun for the money.

It really depends on your budget.

400.00-600.00 - M&P or Glock

600.00-900.00 - HK or Sig

Also, check out CZ. They make some really nice stuff for the money 400.00 (CZ P07) all the way to 650.00 (SP01 Tactical).

Through it all I will start by saying "If I read your post and just wanted to throw a gun out" there I would go with the HK USP, HK P30L, HK VP9, CZ P07, or the Sig P226.

Next point. I bought a handgun and an AR15 to start. You could feasibly have both for under a G (CZ P07 and a S&W M&P15).

379 - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/58053

539 - http://www.gunbuyer.com/p-58570-smith-wesson-mp-15-sport-ar-15-556mm-16-301-collapsible-stock-with-no-forward-assist.aspx#.U9q1HbHDV7g

Again, budget is a major consideration in a firearms purchase.

Best bet is to find some friends with an assortment of guns and try them out. Or just rent a few from a range and try out each gun to see what feels best.

Or you could always ask some fellow Cr members to bring some guns and try them out. Im sure some one would be willing to help out.

+1 million

Best bet is to find some friends with an assortment of guns and try them out. Or just rent a few from a range and try out each gun to see what feels best.

Or you could always ask some fellow Cr members to bring some guns and try them out. Im sure some one would be willing to help out.

Shoot as many guns as you can to get an idea of what YOU like.

I have never found a glock that I like to shoot, but found the S&W M&P to be perfect for me.

You could be completely opposite. :)

Renting guns at the range will get expensive, fast. Find one you like, buy it, then master it.

Enjoy.

IMO this is bad advice, guns are $500+.rRenting a gun is 10 bucks. ide rather rent 10 guns then be stuck with a expensive gun i dont like.

You don't necessarily get "stuck " with a firearm if bought at the right price.

I would rent some or meet up with some of us on the board. I have plenty of hand guns you can try out also.

Don't take someone else's advise on what you will like just go shoot a bunch.

A couple of my favorite that I carry is glock 43, glock 23, glock 27, and xds9. Among others.

Next point. I bought a handgun and an AR15 to start. You could feasibly have both for under a G (CZ P07 and a S&W M&P15).

379 - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/58053

539 - http://www.gunbuyer.com/p-58570-smith-wesson-mp-15-sport-ar-15-556mm-16-301-collapsible-stock-with-no-forward-assist.aspx#.U9q1HbHDV7g

Again, budget is a major consideration in a firearms purchase.

Damn these are tempting.

So, I see both sides of the argument.

Oh one hand "Shoot a lot of guns and find one you like" is a good way to see what's out there.

On the other hand.... I've never done that. I just make sure I buy it at the right price in case I end up not liking it.

For example.... I bought an HK45 Tactical last summer for 800 (used). the gun costs 1300 at vances and about 1075 online. I sold it to a buddy for 800 after I shot it and didn't like it. I see these guns sell used for about 900-950 often. So, technically I didn't really waste/lose any money.

PLUS, S&W doesn't sell M&P's by the millions because they are bad guns. They are easily adaptable to most people. Then again, for 550.00 I'd buy an HK VP9 instead.

Renting guns at the range will get expensive, fast. Find one you like, buy it, then master it.

Enjoy.

IMO this is bad advice, guns are $500+.rRenting a gun is 10 bucks. ide rather rent 10 guns then be stuck with a expensive gun i dont like.

Paul is hitting it right, something the wife may never have told him. Haha

But seriously, there are so many shit guns out there and so many differences from shooter to shooter. I hate certain makes of gun for my hands and how I want them to function.

Tim, get your hands on all you can and get your comfort sorted out. Know what you want the gun for, range and home deference use are good full size guns. Getting into a carry gun will need more thought for comfort on body, capacity you want, and caliber consideration. I don't have the variety in caliber that I use to, but you are welcome to come out and see what hand guns I do have and go over a few thing.

• Upvote 1

Lots of great advice in this thread. Going to put on my Glock fanboy hat for a second. If you liked the way the Glock 19 felt in your hand when you shot it you probably won't go wrong buying that particular gun.

I'd shoot an a Smith M&P also. Those two guns represent the two most prevalent grip angles. That will allow you to narrow your search down a bit.

Paul is hitting it right, something the wife may never have told him. Haha

:lol:

Yes, knowing and mastering your home defense firearm is bad advice. Take Pauls word for it.

:rolleyes:

Im not disagreeing with mastering what firearm you get. But How can you master a gun you dont feel comfortable shooting...? Spend a little bit of time find the right gun FOR YOU, then master said gun.

Find one you like,

:lol:

Im not disagreeing with mastering what firearm you get. But How can you master a gun you dont feel comfortable shooting...? Spend a little bit of time find the right gun FOR YOU, then master said gun.

....Why are we arguing this? :lol:

My personal suggestions on 5 to try (some already mentioned):

Glock

S&W M&P

Ruger SR9

Springfield xD9

and my all time personal fav, FNP9

Can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion. While I agree that Glocks are extremely reliable and proven as such, I personally dislike them. I'd take the FNP9 over any mentioned thus far, but that's me.

Let me know if you want to try and meet up to try an FNP9 or FNP40.

Yeah, Glock frames aren't for every one. That's why I don't own one. I don't see a lot of people mentioning the HK VP9...? That's probably the most ergonomic grip of all the guns mentioned in the thread.

Also, there's a lot of "he needs to make sure he buys the right gun". And while I do agree... We are talking "first gun" AND "under 600 bucks"... It's not exactly the most permanent/stuck/expensive decision he's ever going to make.

Hell, buy an HK VP9 for 525-550, shoot the hell out of it. And if you don't like it. I'll give you 25 bucks less than you paid for it. "I guarantee it" (men's wearhouse). There you go, barely any risk...