Invisible Speed Bump Rage

acklac7

:fuckyeah: I call it how i see it good buddy.

Sorry but you cant hit one of these and go all out of control and wreck if you were going the speed limit.

Hell i used to hit these things in my ranger tapped out didnt faze me :lol:

Okay, so now input dumb rich soccer mom hitting the "invisible speed bump" who doesn't know how to drive, panics and drives up over some kid walking along the road at night (when he shouldn't be out either) and kills him. "OMFG!!! What a fucking tragedy, remove all speed bumps every where." Is what they'll say then, but some poor bastards tearing up their cars on surprise speed bumps is cool? Yeah becomes a double edge sword very quickly, they should at least be marked.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so now input dumb rich soccer mom hitting the "invisible speed bump" who doesn't know how to drive, panics and drives up over some kid walking along the road at night (when he shouldn't be out either) and kills him. "OMFG!!! What a fucking tragedy, remove all speed bumps every where." Is what they'll say then, but some poor bastards tearing up their cars on surprise speed bumps is cool? Yeah becomes a double edge sword very quickly, they should at least be marked.

True, but there are a 1000 scenerios that could go back and forth about this. All in all do the flippen speed limit, quit cutting through random neighborhoods, and party on garth.

:lolguy:

I disagree, with this, cause all there going to do is speed, then slow down for the bump, then speed right up.

If the intent is to reduce speed then it is is still more effective at night to have them marked than not having them marked. Under your example they would still be seeing them and slowing down twice rather than just running at speed and not slowing down at all.

Also it opens up either the city or the HOA (and whomever put them up) to liability for damage and injury, where as having them marked wouldn't. Anytime you create a situation where someone can sue you it's not efficient.

• Confused 1

Speed bumps reduce the effectiveness and response times of emergency response vehicles, and in some cases can disable them. If you were in an ambulance, would you want the driver to hit an invisible speed bump that tore the axle out of the ambulance?

Don't speed. Don't cut through neighborhoods. Problem solved.

This is a terrible argument, and not an actual solution to a problem.

Speed bumps reduce the effectiveness and response times of emergency response vehicles, and in some cases can disable them. If you were in an ambulance, would you want the driver to hit an invisible speed bump that tore the axle out of the ambulance?

Paul and Pntbll309 says stop speeding through neighborhoods and stop dying. Problem solved. And if not, Paul can pay the taxes for submersible speed bumps for emergency vehicles. lol

What solution would you like? Some bright neon signs and reflective tape all over the speed bumps so you can temporarily slow down the. Speed right back up to a speed over the posted limit? Would you like for somebody else to be responsible the next time you make a mistake? I drive a car that has less ground clearance than probably 90% of the cars on here and daily it and have had no issues. Maybe I'm just getting lucky?

Don't speed. Don't cut through neighborhoods. Problem solved.

Here is an idea, never go anywhere ever except where you are supposed to go. Point A to B in the fastest route. Don't even look out your side windows at other's neighborhoods. ever. In fact, don't leave home, sell your car, work from home, and have your groceries delivered.

Here is an idea, never go anywhere ever except where you are supposed to go. Point A to B in the fastest route. Don't even look out your side windows at other's neighborhoods. ever. In fact, don't leave home, sell your car, work from home, and have your groceries delivered.

Here's an idea. Go drink some bleach.

So you were traveling 40% over the posted speed limit, and you are wondering why the people who live there are trying to keep you off of their road? And the best part is that you stated that you were "just" 10 mph above the speed limit.

are they plastic? bet a good burnout would chew right through

Maybe with some winter studs. :)

I think those plastic speed bumps would chew up your tires/suspension first. They're pretty damn tough.

Funny story a bit of-topic:

Had a buddy years and years ago with one of the old mk1 Preludes slammed. While moving into a right hand turn lane, he spent a moment too long gawking at some girls to his left in a car and hit a bunch of those raised, yellow, "candy" dots that are used to separate lanes and discourage lane changing at the last minute.

The bottom of his car, ie; oil pan and/or tranny (can't recall if it was one or both) proceeded to chew up a row of those things, ruining them and the bottom of his car all while an officer watched it go down.

He received a huge ticket, the cost for those dots were astronomical and he was on the hook for them, adding insult to automotive and pride injury.

Just a follow up I said maybe 10 miles over the speed limit, maybe. And when I hit the second one I was definitely doing the speed limit, probably less, and I still got RAPED. New struts/suspension on all 4 corners too. As others have said someone is going to hit one of these doing the speed limit, bust a balljoint/strutmount/etc and loose complete control of their vehicle.

Just a follow up I said maybe 10 miles over the speed limit, maybe. And when I hit the second one I was definitely doing the speed limit, probably less, and I still got RAPED. New struts/suspension on all 4 corners too. As others have said someone is going to hit one of these doing the speed limit, bust a balljoint/strutmount/etc and loose complete control of their vehicle.

Well, thankfully they will probably be going 10-15 mph at most, and slide to a stop in 50'.

I know this is a forum on which all opinions can and often are voiced. But I am absolutely gobsmacked and flabbergasted that anyone on a car forum is speaking in defense of invisible extra-vicious unmarked speed bumps. Are you intentionally contrary or infected with crazy?

I know this is a forum on which all opinions can and often are voiced. But I am absolutely gobsmacked and flabbergasted that anyone on a car forum is speaking in defense of invisible extra-vicious unmarked speed bumps. Are you intentionally contrary or infected with crazy?

No, they're just infatuated with playing devil's advocate. I can't be too mad. I occasionally enjoy arguing simply for the sake of it, as well. ;)

I can only speculate that if the neighbors in this particular area didn't want these 1992 sc300 suspension killers, then the wouldn't be there. I would suppose if people weren't driving down their street, at speeds greater than the posted speed limit , then there would be no need for these parking curbs.

Since you see no harm in driving over the speed limit in the neighborhood where you decided to cut through, I would guess to save time, how do you see harm in the people trying to deterr you from from doing something that certainly does them no good at all?

It's sad that they have had to resort to this to stop people from speeding through their street. Pretty sure you won't be cutting through that road again.

I would have made the same comment when I was 18-24 years old. Nobody likes invisible speed bumps. But nobody likes dead children either. When someone says "I was going 25 mph (10 over), and this 2' high speed bump came out of nowhere", I interpret it as he was likely going 35mph, and not really paying attention.

I have the benefit of living in a neighborhood with only 10 houses. There's minimal traffic, and everyone goes slow. I feel safe when my kids go barreling down the driveway on a big wheel. If I lived in a traditional neighborhood where every idiot cut through, then yes, I would want a damn invisible barricade to smash the car of everyone cutting through. I realize that seems unreasonable

I can only speculate that if the neighbors in this particular area didn't want these 1992 sc300 suspension killers, then the wouldn't be there. I would suppose if people weren't driving down their street, at speeds greater than the posted speed limit , then there would be no need for these parking curbs.

Since you see no harm in driving over the speed limit in the neighborhood where you decided to cut through, I would guess to save time, how do you see harm in the people trying to deterr you from from doing something that certainly does them no good at all?

It's sad that they have had to resort to this to stop people from speeding through their street. Pretty sure you won't be cutting through that road again.

That's it. Where's the neighborhood? I'm teaching everyone a lesson, cutting through this place and going around the speed bumps.... If I've basically gotta drive over a curb anyway. Might as well start in someone's driveway and leave off from another. :p

I would have made the same comment when I was 18-24 years old. Nobody likes invisible speed bumps. But nobody likes dead children either. When someone says "I was going 25 mph (10 over), and this 2' high speed bump came out of nowhere", I interpret it as he was likely going 35mph, and not really paying attention.

I have the benefit of living in a neighborhood with only 10 houses. There's minimal traffic, and everyone goes slow. I feel safe when my kids go barreling down the driveway on a big wheel. If I lived in a traditional neighborhood where every idiot cut through, then yes, I would want a damn invisible barricade to smash the car of everyone cutting through. I realize that seems unreasonable

Why can't you do like other neighborhoods and put those yellow signs up telling kids to go slow? :D