Thinking of a picking up a pick-em-up truck.

JaSSon

I'm looking to trade in my 335i, and I've never had a truck. So why not? I'm not sure what direction I want to go, or how much exactly I'm willing to spend; it's early in my search. I do know I want a crew cab short bed 4x4. My work commute is over 70 miles a day, so I need to get a few MPGs. Ideally I'd like a 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, but dropping $40k+ on a truck is out of the question.

So far I've looked at a 2014 Silverado LTZ. Nice truck, but stretching it at $34k. The truck reported 25MPG on 270 on my test drive, but I've read they do closer to 20.

I also looked at a b̶r̶o̶d̶o̶z̶e̶r̶ 2011 Ram 2500 Laramie LongHorn. I REALLY like it. But again, expensive. $33k and over 150k miles.

I'd consider an F-150 EcoBoost, but after my HPFP adventures with my 335i, I'm gun shy about buying another DI TT-V6. I have heard that Brian works magic on them. Jordan has 3 on the lot, but they're pretty base and have 100k+ miles on them. I'm uneasy financing a vehicle with that many miles on it, especially if there are no toys in the cabin.

I'd also consider an Excursion with the 6.0, if it's had the head studded and the EGR eliminated. I've seen reports of them cracking 32MPG once modded. And, you know, being a giant bad ass turbo diesel torque machine.

So CR, I ask you to chime in with your thoughts. What have you driven? Has it been reliable? I've read about the diesels chewing up front suspension components; overblown? Is the 3.5L EcoBoost reliable? How about the Cummins in that 2011 RAM 2500?

And most importantly: CAN I go from a manual transmission turbo charged coupe to a (comparatively) lumbering automatic truck? The noises of a turbo diesel would make me feel better.

What about the Colorado/canyon? The 3.6 scoots nicely and would be a great driver. Ive read a lot of positive reviews. My dad has a Ecodiesel. I couldn't tell you about noises. It's massive inside, gets about 20 mixed but has hit 30 mpg highway going 5 over with five people inside. Gets about 16-18 mpg pulling a 29' camper

I think you will love a giant truck. If your head is that much into it go for it.

I went from my old slammed turbo Mini to the lumbering lifted FJ...was a huge difference. Still one of the best decisions I have made as I love driving it...slow, auto, ect. Sure youll miss a fast handling car sometimes, but maybe you have other cars for that...I dunno.

You can get a LOADED 5.4 F150 (2011-2012 or so FX4 / STX / ect) for around 20. Lot of truck for the money. It isnt all over 100K for 30 large unless you are really looking at the supreme models...which you may be.

I really like having a truck in the fleet, but as an only vehicle they get boring for a car guy.

If space isn't an issue you may want to consider an older truck + fun car. Driving my F250 was a blast even when the CTS-V was an option just because they are such different rides.

I'm calling bullshit on a 32mpg excursion.

Diesel engines can do some impressive shit. Torque up, RPMs down. Granted these are both extreme examples, but I see no reason why 28-ish wouldn't be possible on a tuned excursion.

If space isn't an issue you may want to consider an older truck + fun car. Driving my F250 was a blast even when the CTS-V was an option just because they are such different rides.
That's why I'm even considering Excursions. I could purchase one for cash.

Just bought a F350 supercrew with a 6.2 gas motor, I've never seen a truck that does great MPG's, and I wouldn't even consider a TT Ford 3.5 again...... just got rid of a 15' Explorer Sport....with a gaggle of problems

Please elaborate. PM if you want.

And most importantly: CAN I go from a manual transmission turbo charged coupe to a (comparatively) lumbering automatic truck?

No. You'll have tbss'itis all over again like when you switched over from your Mustang. I guarantee you'll have slivers of regret a few weeks later. Trucks are nice to have as a second vehicle so just buy a beater truck and keep the car, like I did.

Edited by Not Brian

No. You'll have tbss'itis all over again like when you switched over from your Mustang. Trucks are nice to have as a second vehicle but I bet money you'll have slivers of regret a few weeks later. Just buy a beater truck and keep the car, like I did.

That's a bingo.

No. You'll have tbss'itis all over again like when you switched over from your Mustang. I guarantee you'll have slivers of regret a few weeks later. Trucks are nice to have as a second vehicle so just buy a beater truck and keep the car, like I did.

+ Andre3000.

Diesel engines can do some impressive shit. Torque up, RPMs down. Granted these are both extreme examples, but I see no reason why 28-ish wouldn't be possible on a tuned excursion.

That's why I'm even considering Excursions. I could purchase one for cash.

I'm very familiar with Diesel engines. 28 is still a stretch.

I have an 07 GMC sierra (new body) with a 6.0l gas motor. It's a nice truck. Every bell and whistle possible other than sunroof and Denali chrome trim / wheels. It's not a bad place to spend some time and I enjoy driving it more than I could have ever imagined.

However no way as a car guy I could live with owning a truck as my only vehicle. 2nd or 3rd car yes, only means of transportation I'd probably make it 3 months before I was completely over it.

I have an 07 GMC sierra (new body) with a 6.0l gas motor. It's a nice truck. Every bell and whistle possible other than sunroof and Denali chrome trim / wheels. It's not a bad place to spend some time and I enjoy driving it more than I could have ever imagined.

However no way as a car guy I could live with owning a truck as my only vehicle. 2nd or 3rd car yes, only means of transportation I'd probably make it 3 months before I was completely over it.

I concur with Andy.

Currently I have a K2xx and while I LOVE LOVE LOVE my pickup trucks (I had a GMT800), I hate driving them. They make my 3800-lb CTS-V feel so agile and very light on its foot.

Don't replace your 335i with a pickup truck, *ANY* pickup truck. Add one to your stable.

Jason I'll let you trade your car for my truck for a week. I bet money you'll be so happy to get it back. I love them open 'merican feels in one, but it's like hanging with the loud funny guy at the bar; Fun occasionally but you don't let him move in with you.

Jason I'll let you trade your car for my truck for a week. I bet money you'll be so happy to get it back. I love them open 'merican feels in one, but it's like hanging with the loud funny guy at the bar; Fun occasionally but you don't let him move in with you.

ok comparing your 01 ram standard cab gasser to what hes looking for is like comparing my grand marquis to a new Bentley. No comparison at all.

Take angry bmw on his offer, or hell go to a dealer and ask them to test drive it for a day and do this a few times in a week to see if it is something you want.