Right in my feels

Lauren

So my mom was diagnosed with Breast cancer yesterday :( she was in for a routine mammogram and they saw something. Did some other scan then ultrasound and then biopsie. Sample in bewbie is cancer. Luckily sample in lymph nodes were negative.

She is going into the breast cancer center this coming week to get the full diagnoses from the doctors. Luckily she works for Mayo Clinic and has Mayo insurance so she is in good hands but still tough to wrap my mind around.

Anybody have a loved one go through this? What can I expect? I have never had to deal with this.

My dad was also hospitalize this past week and found out he has diabetes.

So sorry to hear. My mom is a survivor. All her best friends are survivors of breast cancer as well.

http://www.teamtowanda.org/our-story.html

http://www.teamtowanda.org/our-board.html

My mom is the President of Team Towanda Foundation. Her best friend, Judith, was the first of their friends to be diagnosed and is the founder of TTF. TTF's main goals are to raise money to provide services for uninsured or underinsured women for prevention and treatment, but there are SO many resources on that site to help with your mom's fight. Attitude is absolutely, no question, the most important thing she can do. The doctors and hospitals will take care of her treatment, all she can do is try to stay positive, laugh, and smile. First and foremost, cancer is a horrible ugly thing but if it doesn't take away what makes your mom special, it'll never win.

In the "Resources" tab of the website are a number of things that will hopefully help her keep a positive attitude.

Again, so sorry to hear but I wish you and your family all the best in fighting this disease. Your mom cannot be defeated so long as she has a fighting spirit, a smile, and a loving family by her side.

My FiL is a breast cancer surgeon at Riverside...cancer is always a bish but hopefully they caught it early enough. It's amazing to hear what some of these women go through, but lots of happy endings. There are a lot of very strong options for treatment.

Best of luck to your mother and your family!

My mother beat cancer 7 times, bro. It's not a death sentence, just a call to arms. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you, my man.

My mom battled through it.

It sounds like your mother is a tough one. Keep her spirits up, it seems a positive attitude goes an incredibly long way from the experiences I've seen.

Best advice in the thread here. ^

Sorry to hear that man. My mom has been battling 4 types of cancer for the last 6 years. She just finished up 18 weeks of chemo and has to have another surgery on the 28th. It's tough on the family, but also brings you together. She'll have good days and bad, just be there for her either way.

PM me if you ever need to talk. She just turned 60 on July 4th- way too young for this BS.

My mother beat cancer 7 times, bro. It's not a death sentence, just a call to arms. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you, my man.

This is the best way to think about it.

A call to arms. A great suppot system is the best help through all of this.

If you beliong to a church- use them.

If you belong to clubs of any kind (or she does) use them.

https://www.takethemameal.com/ is a great resourse making sure Your mom (and dad?) dont have to worry about meals while dealing with all of this. Get your friends and family involved.

encourage her to go to support groups. I know that some of hte hospitals have makeover days, and other fun things for patients to do. Encourage her to be open with her feelings, and realize that she's going to be scared and she NEEDS to be able to say "im scared." Let her be scared, but reassure her that youll do whatever you can to be there for her.

She will get cold easily- Keep blankets around if she gets chemo- her body temps will be all out of wack. Go with her for her treatments- Trade off with your siblings- Yes it will be hard to watch, but honestly the company helps while they are there- and it gives others in teh family a break.

DO FUN STUFF- low energy during Chemo- have a board game night-

Laugh. A lot.

Fuck. Cancer.

My mom battled breast cancer on/off for 19 years, ultimately losing her life in the end. It was 7 years ago and it still hurts. Not a day goes by that I wish she could be here watching my son grow up.

Just encourage her and make her know she's not doing this for herself. Let her know how much she means to your family and tell her I love you every time you see her, end every phone call with I love you. Help her anyway possible b/c chemo can take a huge draw. Cherish the time with her doing things you have always put off.

It's not a death sentence, but you never know.

My wife was diagnosed in '09 just after her 31st b-day. The only thing you need to know is not only put a support system in place for her, but also for your father or whomever is going to be the one primarily taking care of her. I'm as grateful for the people that looked after me as I am for the people that helped look after my wife.

F' cancer

If he's in network we had a really positive experience with Clay's FIL (Dr. Larry Lilly)...he was fantastic to work with.

Thanks for all the support guys and gals with your posts and sharing your stories. I had no where to vent or turn to and although I'm a nana fan I appreciate you all taking time to respond.

My mother lives in Minnesota and I'm in Ohio. I'm going to do everything I can do from afar. My moms sisters and parents and my sister live in her town so I k ow she is surrounded by people who will take care of her.

As others have said, it's not all doom here. Advances in the area of treatment have come light years in a short amount of time. I know a lot of survivors that in the end had a wake up call and are continuing with life in bigger and better ways. FWIW I only know one person that passed from Breast Cancer and at least a dozen plus that are doing great. Many are 20+ year survivors.

Use this as an opportunity to change your life and the lives of others. Get involved and even if it's just a change in how you live your life with better choices and awareness, that works. Those changes impact and influence others and the chain of good things continues on.

Good luck to you sir. Keep positive thoughts. Negative ones will never help.