BMW head cracked - welding fix?

zeitgeist57

I already texted a couple of people on here for opinions, but unfortunately I discovered last night that the head to my BMW 318 (M42B18 - 1.8L 16v 4-cyl) is cracked at the #3 cylinder by one of the intake valves and a waterjacket. The headgasket LOOKED to be alright, which the crack would explain why the cooling system was pressurizing and overheating without much in the way of steam out of the exhaust.

I've already dropped it off with Mike @ M&M Head Service in Delaware who rebuilt the 300ci inline-6 in my Ford F100 a few years ago. He said they would disassemble the head and clean the parts/valves, then his cast aluminum welder will look at what it takes to repair the crack. Provided it can be properly welded (grind, weld, oven bake to cool down the head properly), they will machine the head and reinstall everything. Range for entire R&R and repair is $300-$500.

I've gotten guarded responses from people, and I'm certainly aware this can be a risky repair though I do have faith that if someone can fix it, it's M&M. Anyone gone through this process before?

If I got a used head (M42club.com has some dude with a bunch in Pittsburgh) I'm going to be in it for nearly as much money in transportation/machining as I would just repairing this head. Truly, I'd get a used head if there was a better option locally.

FWIW...this ain't no Geo Metro engine...the head is massive on this thing; shipping is $150+ for any meaningful distances with the used ones I saw on eBay.

So...I could get something used and gamble, or pay just as much money on shipping for a rebuilt head than I could have Mike @ M&M do a full rebuild locally. I'll wait to see what his prognosis is next week.

FYI because I am sensitive to this...

- I've got the rebuilt (but without cams and trays) M42 head on eBay for $550 shipped as a back-up option.

- Car-part.com showed a couple junkyards with M42 heads, but already one near Cincy was actually an M44 head which I can't use.

Going to find out what Mike has to say...