Machine shop recommendations

stavman

Mike is awesome honestly. Went in there yesterday, talked to him and he is knowledgeable, knows what I want and even gets excited when I mentioned stroker kit :)

Went back today and he remembered me, knew what I wanted and we're moving right along.

I have no problem with the way his shop is. I think some of the stuff sitting there has been there since the last time i was there a couple years ago. I've yet to see 1 bad review on here about him other than his shop being full of parts.

They do amazing work and will always go out of their way to help you out, it's kind of his Mad Scientist lair. Anything you bring in gets tagged, taken care of, comes back to you cleaned and bagged and professionally worked.

Just brought it up so you guys who don't ever get this kind of work done can see "The Lair"

So after the CarQuest machine shop closed, I was forced to take my latest set of heads to M&M. They gave me someone else's Subaru heads. Where the pipe is resting is where the EGR should screw in on an 05.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MegamanEXE/1D05B51C-6FDB-4D61-B6DA-60099FC54868_zpsk82ynjdc.jpg

my experience with m&m this last time was horrible and i will never take another motor back to him. I took my 302 there to be bored .30 over have my dss's put on my rods and him assemble my shortblock. Safe to say the block was not bored straight he didnt assemble the shortblock and along with that wanted to argue about the work I had asked to be done. the little work he did do he charged a outrageous price for. $700 just to screw up the bore on the block and put a set of pistons on the rods. to much imo for that little of work.

$700 for boring and piston assembly sounds a bit high for him. I had my block (6 cylinder) bored, decked on both sides, both heads decked, my crank balanced to the rotating assembly (which required moly due to heavier pistons) as well as cleaning everything, balancing all the pistons and rods, and installing new freeze plugs and cam bearings for $750. Everything that I got back was in good shape and bagged up. I can understand if people don't want to take things to him. In terms of the subaru stuff, I can say if he doesn't tag it right away it could be easily lost in all the other subaru parts bc he does a lot of them. Not saying he was right to mix them up though.

Mikes does great work, and that is still my first choice for any machine work. Sorry, about the fellows that had some issues, this rarely happens but does happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo...I found out that Wirthman Bros on E. Main has a good head for my 318. I stopped by M&M to grab my head and gasket kit, not having spoken to Mike since I dropped it off a few weeks ago to repair the crack in my aluminum head.

Yup....head was still sitting in the same place I left it 3+ weeks ago.:yuno:

NOW...in this case I was very HAPPY, because I don't want to reweld a head when I can just machine a better core. BUT, for those of you on a timeframe, you may want to sit on Mike as he apologized profusely and said that one of his guys just quit and the other is in the hospital.

I will still definitely use Mike and M&M in the future, but as stated before I give him a 2-3 month window before a job is completed unless I stand on him.