Oil consumption in an 04 STi

Grudes

I wanted to get some opinions on what other people are experiencing with they're EJ motors. Mine is an 04 with 95K on it, stage 2 with some other bolt on stuff, still VF39 turbo. I just did an oil change about 500 miles ago with Mobil1 5-30, checked the oil today and it was down a quart and a half. It did have a little blue smoke when I started it after lunch today. Im hoping its no cracked ringlands. Ill have to do a leakdown test on Monday when I go back to work to verify but I wanted to get some other experiences first.

Two things:

1. Subaru's EJ engines seem to LOVE drinking Mobil 1. A lot of people have seen excessive consumption with M1 which went away when they changed to a different oil. Rotella T6 5-30 Synthetic is popular in the Subie crowd. Other good choices are Amsoil, Redline, and Pennzoil Platinum.

2. Do you have a catch can or oil separator? The flat engine design has a tendency to puke a lot of oil into the breather lines when you drive hard, especially when cornering. A catch-can is always a good idea.

Two things:

1. Subaru's EJ engines seem to LOVE drinking Mobil 1. A lot of people have seen excessive consumption with M1 which went away when they changed to a different oil. Rotella T6 5-30 Synthetic is popular in the Subie crowd. Other good choices are Amsoil, Redline, and Pennzoil Platinum.

2. Do you have a catch can or oil separator? The flat engine design has a tendency to puke a lot of oil into the breather lines when you drive hard, especially when cornering. A catch-can is always a good idea.

T6 is a diesel oil. Is that safe to run in a gasoline engine? My A4 is burning/leaking/consuming and i happen to be running mobile 1. Looking to change things up.

T6 is a diesel oil. Is that safe to run in a gasoline engine? My A4 is burning/leaking/consuming and i happen to be running mobile 1. Looking to change things up.

I used it exclusively in my Mazdaspeed 3 based on the recommendation of many. the direct injected engines benefit from the Rotella T6. If I remember correctly, the direct injection tends to put gas in the oil - the Rotella T does not break down as bad.

Two things:

Thanks Ill switch my oil. I have a Grimmspeed air/oil seperator, its the fill tube one

I would look at the turbo also, has the oil screen ever been removed or cleaned?

Yea the oil screen was removed and cleaned before I got it. It had the infamous waste gate crack and they welded it. Im getting ready to do a turbo swap so im going to put new lines it when I do that too

I used it exclusively in my Mazdaspeed 3 based on the recommendation of many. the direct injected engines benefit from the Rotella T6. If I remember correctly, the direct injection tends to put gas in the oil - the Rotella T does not break down as bad.

Hmm then in that case, I may run rotella t6 in my SAAB since it has a direct injection turbo engine.

I've run Rotella T in all my cars since 2006. 9 second Colts and 850whp RX7s included :)

Yeah I literally run it in everything. From Elise to abarth. Can't go wrong with 19$ a gallon synthetic. Free shipping on Amazon

Two things:

Did you mean Rotella T6 5w-40? I cant find T6 5w-30

Forgive my ignorance; I know a lot of people run "diesel" oil's in their gas engines, but what specifically makes a "diesel" oil just that, and are there any negative side affects to running a "diesel" oil in a gas engine, specifically pertaining to emissions, (where they test here annually)?

Forgive my ignorance; I know a lot of people run "diesel" oil's in their gas engines, but what specifically makes a "diesel" oil just that, and are there any negative side affects to running a "diesel" oil in a gas engine, specifically pertaining to emissions, (where they test here annually)?

Diesel Oils have more Anti-wear (ZDDP), higher viscosity (sometimes), and more additives per volume (usually Detergents).

From what I have been reading on Rotella T6 is that it is very close to if not exceeding some very high grade gasoline synthetics.

Anybody here run one in a VAG 2.0T? The Audi eats about a quart of Mobil 1 every 5K miles.

I've used M1 on all the 2.0Ts I purchased New (2), and because of my break in, never had oil burning in 5k change intervals.

This used one I just bought, I think burns oil. I'll be monitoring going forward, but it is what it is.

I've used M1 on all the 2.0Ts I purchased New (2), and because of my break in, never had oil burning in 5k change intervals.

This used one I just bought, I think burns oil. I'll be monitoring going forward, but it is what it is.

It is hit or miss actually which makes me more concerned. Some intervals it burns nothing, some it burns a little, and others it swallows a whole quart. Seems to be temp sensitive too - more consumption in the winter vs less or not at all in the summer.

What's your break-in?

I subscribe to the very aggressive break in method.

I used motoman's method on two motors. this current one, I beat the snot out of it from the moment it started and I had air bubbles out of the system and the rings were seated in 10 miles.

Diesel Oils have more Anti-wear (ZDDP), higher viscosity (sometimes), and more additives per volume (usually Detergents).

From what I have been reading on Rotella T6 is that it is very close to if not exceeding some very high grade gasoline synthetics.

Anybody here run one in a VAG 2.0T? The Audi eats about a quart of Mobil 1 every 5K miles.

used to have a high level of ZDDP, but with the recent events in the past couple years and the push for greener oils, ZDDP has been decreased in a lot of on-the-shelf oils, including T6.

Rotella used to score in the 12-1300ppm, but I believe it's down to 800ppm as of late. Hardly what it used to be. Porsche guys won't even touch if for their air cooled cars anymore.

used to have a high level of ZDDP, but with the recent events in the past couple years and the push for greener oils, ZDDP has been decreased in a lot of on-the-shelf oils, including T6.

Rotella used to score in the 12-1300ppm, but I believe it's down to 800ppm as of late. Hardly what it used to be. Porsche guys won't even touch if for their air cooled cars anymore.

Yep.

It's no longer branded as a diesel only oil either, the back shows use for cars as well.

Seems strange, esp since the more detergents the more your oil acts like a sanding agent as well as a lubricating agent. I get they want the high zinc content but eh....what did they use before Rotella T6?