Cable Dogs: electrical code for low voltage wiring?

Nate1647545505

I am not an electrician or code guru.

Contact your local electrical inspector(s). Most places they are superbly helpful.

Does whatever you are doing have to meet code? Honestly it's low voltage (probably relatively low current and power too), so I personal wouldn't fret too much over it. Use common sense and in wall rated wires and you'll be just fine.

Edited by Trouble Maker

Just Run it....Tell me what your doing.

Make sure to attach where needed, use grommets to protect from chaffing where ever. If you want to be bad ass and the walls are all open, make a low voltage conduit run everywhere you need it and mark it as such and I don't think it gets inspected at all.

Don't have access to the NEC, but if its going into a ceiling or wall it needs to be fire resistant. We have some cheapo cat 5 at work that is fine for running cables along the wall or under desks, but cannot be in the ceiling or walls.

Don't have access to the NEC, but if its going into a ceiling or wall it needs to be fire resistant. We have some cheapo cat 5 at work that is fine for running cables along the wall or under desks, but cannot be in the ceiling or walls.

I think you are confusing ceiling and walls with needing to be plenum rated, whenever it will see an area used as a return air system for HVAC. A lot of commercial ceilings are considered a plenum in that way.

The NEC gets updated every 3 years so I'm not sure how it would be outdated, I haven't done electrical work in 10 years so I'm not up on it anymore at all, but we always ran low voltage basically the same as running normal wire. Carefull not to pinch it or run it near the higher voltage stuff to try and keep interference to a minimum.

Like it has been said calling the local inspector and asking what if anything he/she would want to see, I doubt it's much.

I think you are confusing ceiling and walls with needing to be plenum rated, whenever it will see an area used as a return air system for HVAC. A lot of commercial ceilings are considered a plenum in that way.

The NEC gets updated every 3 years so I'm not sure how it would be outdated, I haven't done electrical work in 10 years so I'm not up on it anymore at all, but we always ran low voltage basically the same as running normal wire. Carefull not to pinch it or run it near the higher voltage stuff to try and keep interference to a minimum.

Like it has been said calling the local inspector and asking what if anything he/she would want to see, I doubt it's much.

I am the fail at the Googles, as I ended up on some random pages that cited article 800 from a dated copy of the NEC. :(

When I spoke to Joe Holebrah (Delaware County) he stated anything lower than 50V is not inspected per state and he mainly inspects the cold air returns to verify no cable is run.

Plans for work: Running Cat6 to all the rooms, putting a small wall mount cabinet for a POP, running the Coax connections, HDMI in-wall - that stuff.

Now it's just dealing with Time Warner, ugh.

Plans for work: Running Cat6 to all the rooms, putting a small wall mount cabinet for a POP, running the Coax connections, HDMI in-wall - that stuff.

For that kind of stuff, pretty much anything goes. The only caveat, as has been noted, is that if you are running through any sort of air duct, the wire must be plenum-rated. Past that, just make sure you don't put too many holes in load bearing beams.