Volunteer work recognized (also some self promotion)

mrs.cos

There's a full interview in the article but i have no way of embedding it (that i know of)

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2015/08/06/1-pinup-pets.html

When Susan Frazier decided to adopt a dog last year, she hopped online and started browsing the websites of central Ohio animal groups.

Within minutes, the North Side resident happened upon a picture of a Shar-Pei mix — and fell in love.

“I saw that face and the cock of his head, and I’m like: He’s mine,” said Frazier, 50.

But if the personality of the puppy — now named Chance — hadn’t been captured by a photographer, he might still be waiting for a permanent home.

“That picture was everything,” Frazier said. “If there’s no picture, I won’t even look.”

As more and more people use the Internet to search for adoptable animals — and just about everything else — photos are proving increasingly important.

“It’s kind of like dating for humans,” said Angela Christianson, coordinator of the cat foster program for PetPromise, an area animal-welfare organization. “If there’s no picture up, they’ll just click right over them.”

Which explains why many animal groups are seeking volunteer photographers to make sure that their critters awaiting homes are shown in the best light.

CHA Animal Shelter on the Northeast Side, for example, has two volunteers who take photos of shelter animals.

“They’re able to catch a personality a little better,” director Stephanie Wimbish said. “If I would try to do it, it would look like the dog would be pulling . . . and nobody wants to adopt a dog that appears that it’s pulling or might be difficult.”

Trish Halterman, a professional photographer who lives in Hilliard with her husband and pets, has been taking pictures of animals as a PetPromise volunteer for the past two years.

“People tend to respond to a good visual,” Halterman said. “If you see an already-happy animal, you can see the future. You can see walks in the park with your happy dog or snuggling on the couch with your kitten.”

Inviting visuals aren’t necessarily easy to capture.

On a recent Monday night at her studio in the Franklinton neighborhood, Halterman photographed 19 kittens and cats, including a hissing dark tortoiseshell named Morticia.

Before Halterman took pictures of each cat, though, she wiped the sleep from the animal’s eyes.

“You guys are very eye-boogery today,” she told a 3-month-old kitten named Tippy. “Can I scooch you back just a little bit?”

Tippy mewed and stopped moving just long enough for Halterman to snap a few pictures.

Other cats were less keen on sitting still for the camera.

To command their attention, Halterman skittered a hand on the table or had a helper wave a branch of fake flowers, a jingly ball or a piece of ribbon in the air.

The effort required is worth the time and effort, said Halterman, whose photos are clean and crisp, highlighting the animals’ eyes — which, she said, helps people establish a bond with them.

“When you look at a picture, you want to be able to connect with it,” she said. “And when you see their eyes . . . you can really feel who they are as an animal and whether they’re going to fit in your life.”

• Upvote 1

Volunteering for a worthy cause is always a good thing. But using your professional talents and skills to amplify your effort is the optimum.

I couldn't agree more with your view that it's the photo of the animal that captures the heart of the person considering adopting.

Great work, Trish. :thumbup: