Virtual Machine questions

87GT

Yeah I looked at it. It is just like the multi-desktop option on my Mac. I used that often when my Mac was my primary machine. I guess what I want to accomplish is impossible and that is okay. If there is no way to login to a VM I will just make a guest account and a second account for my VM windows 7 legacy apps. Keeping everything separate in their own windows login is asking for too much.

Well, in theory you can do what I said earlier which was to use the guest account. Hide the desktop and create and event so that when the user logged on the VM would start up right away and a second event so that when the VM was "shut down" the system would log off.

I guess many people will ask... Why are you booting into OS A and then trying to load OS B as a primary inside OS A. why not just load OS B from the beginning? If you have an SSD and enable AHCI for the Native Command Queuing then dual booting will not be an issue at all seeing as it should be really fast when switching.

I enjoy the challenging aspect is the idea and I believe you can accomplish what you want, but it will take some work.

It's not really about OS A and OS B from the sound of it; even if he was booting into Win 7 and creating Win 7 VMs the same principle applies -- creating a sandbox for your users to dick around in without fucking up the core OS. But now I'm wondering, if each core OS user is launching a separate VM? If they all log in and then switch users, will there be 4 or 5 instances of the VM running? Or will they all use the guest account on the core OS and then log in with their own accounts on the VM?

Could you just get a separate, low buck computer and a KVM? Tell your 4-5 users to hit computer B on the KVM and do whatever they want?

My goal is to NOT spend money. I don't want to buy a low end PC for this. All 4 users will not have their own VM running but I need at least 2 with the option for a 3rd. 1 for my legacy apps and the others for the guest users.

Oh and I do have i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and 3GB on my video card. It should be fine.