KA-BOOM!!! (Tianjin, China Explosion)

ShowHBK

Holy shit. BBC's site said something about a shipment of explosives going off around a bunch of chemicals from a plant was the cause

The explosions were the equivelent of 3 tons of TNT, and tipped of Seismetronic meters (earthquake thing whos name is failing me miserably)

22T would be a semi truck.

Did you SEE the size of that mushroom cloud over those high-rise buildings? 2.9 on the Richter Scale? I think 22,000 tonnes is a reasonable guess, considering it's a heavy shipping port...

Also...these pictures remind me how disappointed I am at how massive of an industrial force China has indeed become. :(

BBC World on XM this morning reported that the company was in the business of handling highly toxic materials and compounds. The new danger currently is if any of these toxic compounds were released into the air via this explosion and if they are currently spreading in the area.

No other way to say it... This was a terrible incident.

Well its not about to get any better--

Matt Simon @MSimonTV

We are told the cyanide that's leaking is on ground, not air. Crews deploying hydrogen peroxide to combat. [CFP PIC]

http://i.imgur.com/qd0QlJB.jpg

This is what really is the sad part.. we will never know the full effect this will have.

The Tianjin Binhai New Area explosion, just how many people were killed? Officially published figures say 50 people died in the accident, 11 of which were members of the firefighting effort. However, "Apple" reporters followed family members of those missing, and police cars into the disastor-zone investigation. According to the police, 120 firefighters and armed police entered the site to help, but only 4 came out. Added with the others, there should ought to be approximately 200 dead.

The police also said, there were many dead from those living in their houses, mostly from broken shards of glass. The power of the explosion was enormous, with everything within 10 kilometers being affected. Police also criticized firefighters for improperly fighting the fire with water; you must not use water, use chemical foam fire extinguishing instead.

Most strange is this: I have a friend on WeChat (Chinese IM service), her friend was a soldier involved in the rescue, who told her that they had already lifted, two or three hundred bodies from the site. Internet users also said not to trust the news from the mainland."

Watching these vids, I seriously keep looking to see if I can catch a glimpse of the Cloverfield monster...

Micheal Bay is crapping his pants right now.

Best wishes to those close by, especially in dealing with the "fallout" of this. China is not known for their level of "give a fuck" for their citizens.