Alphabet Soup is almost gone, only CTS and V left.

Draco-REX

So, I have very unsuccessfully tried to fend off the new car bug. It bit me hard and no countermeasures have been effective.

I miss the comfort and amenities of the S5, but not the DCT. The Fiancee doesn't enjoy long trips in the STI, and frankly, I'm not digging it either. Apparently, at some point I wasn't looking, I got old.

But I'm not giving in to Father Time just yet! It's gotta be comfortable. It's gotta be fun. and it's GOTTA have a stick shift. I've tried nice cars with autos twice, and both times I was happy to get into a lesser car with a stick. I'm not going to make the mistake a third time.

I looked at a lot luxury brands, but I kept coming back to BMW. And really, what car enthusiast doesn't know about, or want a M3. The latest ones have had a good dose of comfort added as well. I really want a M4, but I just couldn't figure out a way to make it happen. So that brought me to the E92 with it's screaming V8.

These things seem to have a MASSIVE churn rate. There are quite a few for sale, but they pop up and get sold quickly. Refining the choices makes it even harder. I wanted a manual, coupe, fixed roof, EDC, and as I researched them I added the Competition Package to my list. The comp. package lowers it 10mm without changing spring rates, gives a wider range of damper control, and widens the track by 10mm. It also adds 19" forged rims.

This car is on the way:

20639746615_122eacd17d_b.jpg

20017199324_d294df3c7f_b.jpg

20453060069_52c181f8bd_b.jpg

19K miles, $51K

I wasn't feeling the grey/grey at first, but the more I thought about another black car, the more I felt that I've owned enough black cars. I think this one will look great in a grey/black scheme. My only beefs with this car aren't big ones. 1. I'd rather the sexy CF roof instead of a sunroof. 2. A kid of one of the owners at Dennis drives a Grey E9x M3.

So. Am I insane? I'm not committed to this car yet.

Or should I snatch it up as the last N/A generation M car and one of a dying breed of manual cars?

BTW, my 2011 STI hatch is for sale..

Edited by Draco-REX

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the car doesn't already have a front plate and you DON'T want one. Call carmax and tell them, or it will be getting a bracket ordered for it.

Already has one, unfortunately. But if it's just a matter of two holes in the bumper, that's easily corrected.

Only thing I'd change, is the sunroof, really. Make sure you fit with a helmet in there...

I'm not locked into this car, so I'll try to remember to bring my helmet with me. The BRZ is staying as my AutoX/Street Carver/Pure Driver car, so I don't plan to AutoX the M3 much. But it will likely see a cone or two.

There's time before it arrives. There are a couple others I may look at; this one is just the really easy choice. Carmax just makes everything so convenient.

The pics look like they have a black and white filter. Aside from the depressing gray/gray, that is a gorgeous car. Go for it!

Yeah, I just wasn't feeling it. But, it won't be another black on black car when I'm done, and any color I do add (caliper repaint?) will POP.

I'd personally get a CTS-V, pulleys and tune. Have $$$ left over.

Comfort, speed, and you wouldn't be a BMW owner

Ultimately, I've had too many bad experiences with domestic cars. The Big 3 have really turned me off. If I go against my gut and get a domestic and it turns into a headache, I'll kick myself.

As for being a BMW driver, yeah there's that, but whatever. :lolguy:

at least test drive a cts-v------best daily driver i had before my audi. and it can be had with a stick. and would blow the doors off the M3. not that you'd race the car every day, but i'd be willing to bet the caddy makes double the torque of the bmw from 2000-4000 rpms where you use the car most.

i don't know what these cars go for, but that seems high for a 3 year old car with 20k miles

and i had zero issues with my ctsv in 3.5 years of ownership---zero

at least test drive a cts-v------best daily driver i had before my audi. and it can be had with a stick. and would blow the doors off the M3. not that you'd race the car every day, but i'd be willing to bet the caddy makes double the torque of the bmw from 2000-4000 rpms where you use the car most.

i don't know what these cars go for, but that seems high for a 3 year old car with 20k miles

and i had zero issues with my ctsv in 3.5 years of ownership---zero

Sure the V is quicker, but the M3 is a much better driving car. Exhaust note of these are great to boot, nice score.

I've just been so soured by the big 3 that much as I think the CTS-V coupe is neat, I'm not going to add it to the list.

As it is, this will be the most powerful car I've owned or driven (by maybe 70hp or so). Fun as big hp is, I just don't seek it out; driving feel is higher on my list.

I like it and I think you should buy it.

Re: the carbon fibre roof - personally I like sunroofs in street cars because 1) they are not race cars and a sunroof is nice for a little more air on nice days, 2) there isn't really a need, other than to impress BMW fanbois for the CF roof, and 3) if it is anything like keeping up with a CF hood ownership is a pain in the ass.

Also who cares what someone else drives.

I like the gray/gray way better than black/black but I am one of those people who finds black/white/gray boring unless you pair it with a wild interior color like red, tan or blue. The dove gray interior with steel gray outside is different enough to be quirky.

Drive it. If you like it and can afford it, buy it. if you want to hold out for your perfect car in the marketplace expect to pay for it and for it to take a lot of time and likely you will have to ship it. The only way to insure getting it perfect and timely is to buy it new and that is not an option with these cars anymore.

Have you driven one?

It's a super high rpm engine, that requires serious motivation to keep it boiled and pulling hard. I wouldn't be surprised if the s5 feels faster in real world daily driving. You really have to Rev this car out for it to feel fast.

Also do your research on the rod bearings.