Family games

The_buster

D&D is not really age appropriate for a 6 year old. It's also a bear to learn if you don't have someone guiding you.

Wizards of the coast released an abridged starter set last year ($20 approx) with stripped down rules and preset character sheets. Honestly this is the best situation for someone looking to dip their toe in, since character sheet strategy is a game within itself (and one you play alone with many die of more than 6 sides).

http://io9.com/the-d-d-starter-set-is-a-great-way-to-introduce-newbies-1602583516

but before all that, it might be worth it just to sit in on someone's game and just watch. Either you'll think it's fun or you'll realize this is some intense nerd shit and not be a rabbit hole you want to fall down. D&D enjoyment depends heavily on the people you play it with. When I did in middle school it was like living heavy metal album covers, but my brother's games make me want to punch someone in the face for geeking out about the different species of owlbears possible through hybridization.

Also D&D can sometimes lead to LARP in the way that sex can sometimes lead to herpes.

When I was about 6 jenga and connect four were my jam. And it really honed my skills for my later in life games of "drinking jenga".

Wasn't planning on involving the kids in d&d, due to the fact a friend tried to explain some of it to me and it went over my head. I'm a hands on learner, so sitting in on a game or buying a cheap starter set would probably work best. The wife and I were looking for something fun we could do together that wasn't just sit and watch a tv series. We just finished SOA, and started on Game of Thrones.