Cameraman/Newscaster shot and killed on live: man hunt over-shooter dead

mrs.cos

I have to say...I AM NOT A TRUMP SUPPORTER...but I thumped my chest when I read that he is trying to carry the message that this tragedy is a mental health issue, not a gun issue. Spot on, in my opinion...

http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump-reacts-to-wdbj-shooting-this-isnt-a-gun-problem-this-is-a-mental-problem-video/

+1

While I think there should be more regulations and restrictions to get a gun, I feel like this guy would have used a hatchet if he wasn't able to get a gun. I think that mental health is a much bigger issue in this country and would rather see that addressed more so than gun control.

If you added a small tax (think gas tax, like $.50 a box) to ammunition and a tax to assault riffles and other non-hunting guns (think gas guzzler tax, like %5 of purchase price) you could probably help fund a good chunk for a better program for better back ground checks and mental health issues. Of course, the government would turn around and spend that money elsewhere anyway.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This country cracks me up with the crusades it goes on.

I took care of at least 3 different patients within the past 2 weeks that all suffered GSWs to the head (and am probably at 50+ GSWs for the year) and there was not a care in the world by the masses.

A black guy shoots some white folks, or vice versa, and all of a sudden, "WE'VE GOT TO DO SOMETHING!!!! GUNS ARE BAD! MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES!!1! RACE WARS!! Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Breaking News: This shit happens every single day. You aren't going to stop it. You can't legislate free will, and its going to continue to happen no matter what dumb laws you try to pass to prevent it (do I need to list example of these failures?). People have been killing each other since the beginning of time and they will continue to do so.

Society is funny.

• Upvote 1

This country cracks me up with the crusades it goes on.

I took care of at least 3 different patients within the past 2 weeks that all suffered GSWs to the head (and am probably at 50+ GSWs for the year) and there was not a care in the world by the masses.

A black guy shoots some white folks, or vice versa, and all of a sudden, "WE'VE GOT TO DO SOMETHING!!!! GUNS ARE BAD! MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES!!1! RACE WARS!! Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Breaking News: This shit happens every single day. You aren't going to stop it. You can't legislate free will, and its going to continue to happen no matter what dumb laws you try to pass to prevent it (do I need to list example of these failures?). People have been killing each other since the beginning of time and they will continue to do so.

Society is funny.

+Rep

and you are going to keep asking. I don't find your inquiry relevant to this conversation and am therefore ignoring it.

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/b98c4a8fcaa400047b76acee68100bed1398146333_full.jpg

“In the cam video, it showed plainly that no bullet struck the female reporter. She did not react physically. She never winced, fell back, bent over or even grab at the wound to which everyone does. There was no blood, no rips, no hole or any sign that a bullet had hit her at all. Not only that, she remained upright, turned and ran away full speed with no sign of injury.” – PK

LOL, I mean, like in the movies right?

“In the cam video, it showed plainly that no bullet struck the female reporter. She did not react physically. She never winced, fell back, bent over or even grab at the wound to which everyone does. There was no blood, no rips, no hole or any sign that a bullet had hit her at all. Not only that, she remained upright, turned and ran away full speed with no sign of injury.” – PK

LOL, I mean, like in the movies right?

I LOL'd as well. Dude's clearly never seen a bullet entry wound.

and from the comments...

Notice how the cameraman turns towards the field so as to not look at the shooter? They are in the middle of a interview and he’s not even facing the women he’s supposed to be filming?

yea you moron he was taking B roll footage of what they were talking about so the freaking viewers could see.

If this had not happened on live tv, we likely would have never heard anything about it. Also I believe that if someone nearby had been carrying and reacted properly, then at least one life (if not both) could have been saved.

This being said.... say all 3 were carrying.....

How would they have defended? No one payed a moment of attention, even after his gun was shown.....

I'm serious. How was this "defend able"????

KillJoy

+1

While I think there should be more regulations and restrictions to get a gun.

If you added a small tax (think gas tax, like $.50 a box) to ammunition and a tax to assault riffles and other non-hunting guns (think gas guzzler tax, like %5 of purchase price) you could probably help fund a good chunk for a better program for better back ground checks and mental health issues. Of course, the government would turn around and spend that money elsewhere anyway.

The process in place now is very functional. What needs more attention is the speed at which new crimes that disqualify people from buying a gun, are updated to the system. The church shooting last month is an example of that I believe. If they want to require private transactions to go through an FFL, fine with me. I don't really like it, but if I have to give on something, that works.

Taxing Americans on a second amendment right, is going to send things in a bad direction. Mental conditions fall into a HIPPA issue, so there is no system to report someone who should not have a gun for that reason. It's self admittal when you fill out the paperwork. There will never be enough money from tax to fix the medical industry to function for the gun side, in a reasonable time to be up and running, so that will get shot down(pun intended). Changing medical process to release information is a nightmare. People have suggested taxing this before, and using the money to aid victims and their families. Who is managing that money? The government, the state, or the ATF? And to what extent do people receive benefit? Why not take the gun maker, and the ammo company involved in the shooting to court? What if it's a child who gets ahold of a gun shots themselves, or someone else? That's the adult's fault. But, should people be able to that the gun and ammo company to court? Where does it end, and what is realistic?

None of that works. So, no on taxing gun related items.

How about we stop giving every kid a trophy? Not everyone is a winner. Raise kids to know their place and that a happy life doesn't have to be a status related competition. How about parents stand their ground and not cave into the kids wants all the time. If you are raising a child you need to provide leadership and set the example. Right now, we have 40+ years of many parents wanting to be friends with their kids and giving up on being a parent by the time the kid is 13. We don't need a law, or a tax to show change or effort. We need to grow the fuck up and be responsible for our actions and those of our family. Shame means nothing anymore, because pride is gone. It's acceptable to screw up time and time again. That is what we are ok with today. "The laws are in place to protect us". The people breaking the laws do not care about the repercussions. They are not afraid of what will happen to them, because they have rights and will be protected. And we are going to sit here and try to write laws against irrational actions? We are going to tax the rational people who obey the laws and are not the issue?

We need to get back to raising kids with respect and to know their place. Parenting is not a hobby, it's a full time job, eight days a week and 30 hours a day. Let's fix that, and hold people accountable for their actions. When we stop being passive people who do nothing to better our society, maybe then we will see some change.

Edited by Mojoe
  • Upvote 1

The process in place now is very functional. What needs more attention is the speed at which new crimes that disqualify people from buying a gun, are updated to the system. The church shooting last month is an example of that I believe. If they want to require private transactions to go through an FFL, fine with me. I don't really like it, but if I have to give on something, that works.

Taxing Americans on a second amendment right, is going to send things in a bad direction. Mental conditions fall into a HIPPA issue, so there is no system to report someone who should not have a gun for that reason. It's self admittal when you fill out the paperwork. There will never be enough money from tax to fix the medical industry to function for the gun side, in a reasonable time to be up and running, so that will get shot down(pun intended). Changing medical process to release information is a nightmare. People have suggested taxing this before, and using the money to aid victims and their families. Who is managing that money? The government, the state, or the ATF? And to what extent do people receive benefit? Why not take the gun maker, and the ammo company involved in the shooting to court? What if it's a child who gets ahold of a gun shots themselves, or someone else? That's the adult's fault. But, should people be able to that the gun and ammo company to court? Where does it end, and what is realistic?

How about we stop giving every kid a trophy? Not everyone is a winner. Raise kids to know their place and that a happy life doesn't have to be a status related competition. How about parents stand their ground and not cave into the kids wants all the time. If you are raising a child you need to provide leadership and set the example. Right now, we have 40+ years of many parents wanting to be friends with their kids and giving up on being a parent by the time the kid is 13. We don't need a law, or a tax to show change or effort. We need to grow the fuck up and be responsible for our actions and those of our family. Shame means nothing anymore, because pride is gone. It's acceptable to screw up time and time again. That is what we are ok with today. "The laws are in place to protect us". The people breaking the laws do not care about the repercussions. They are not afraid of what will happen to them, because they have rights and will be protected. And we are going to sit here and try to write laws against irrational actions? We are going to tax the rational people who obey the laws and are not the issue?

We need to get back to raising kids with respect and to know their place. Parenting is not a hobby, it's a full time job, eight days a week and 30 hours a day. Let's fix that, and hold people accountable for their actions. When we stop being passive people who do nothing to better our society, maybe then we will see some change.

I quoted this because it should be read twice.

It was that good of a post. :fuckyeah:

How about we stop giving every kid a trophy? Not everyone is a winner. Raise kids to know their place and that a happy life doesn't have to be a status related competition.

How about parents stand their ground and not cave into the kids wants all the time. If you are raising a child you need to provide leadership and set the example. Right now, we have 40+ years of many parents wanting to be friends with their kids and giving up on being a parent by the time the kid is 13.

We don't need a law, or a tax to show change or effort. We need to grow the fuck up and be responsible for our actions and those of our family. Shame means nothing anymore, because pride is gone. It's acceptable to screw up time and time again. That is what we are ok with today.

As a parent I will say these three points are worth a stickie of their own.

This being said.... say all 3 were carrying.....

How would they have defended? No one payed a moment of attention, even after his gun was shown.....

I'm serious. How was this "defend able"????

KillJoy

If all 3 were carrying, maybe it would have been possible for one of them to stop him, though not likely the way things went down. I was more referring to if there would have been a bystander that may have seen what was about to happen. Not saying that's what would have happened, just saying it could have been possible.

A piece of shit got the jump on three people, realistically little could have been done, as normal people don't walk around constantly looking over their shoulder for surprise attacks.

I've been in sketchy situations where my awareness was heightened or shitty parts of town where I paid extra attention, but these people were working, and how often do folks stare, get close to, or want to be around the local newscasters/reporters. We had a story make the news in my old neighborhood in blacklick and I must've seen half my neighbors outside walking down towards the interview trying to get on TV, or see what was happening. So I can imagine that these people are relatively used to having random folks cycle in and out of their periphery, and they're probably instructed not to lose focus on the job at hand because random plebians moving about.

The process is still in need of much improvement to get where we want to be. In terms of logistics I 100% agree it needs improvement with respect to speed and accuracy. There is an IT component people never talk about to all of these issues in the form of logistics and tracking.

This is not a problem where a "total" solution may exist. It is also not a problem that can be treated from the medical side of things because of the current systems. to that point I agree. This may not be a problem that can be solved with broad sweeping legislation full stop. From an economics standpoint taxes make a lot of sense in driving behavior regardless of who administrates the back end money. I don't think this is something where there aren't going to be sacrifices all around - so every option is a viable option the secret is finding the one that has a good ratio of negatives to positives. It's nice to think about positive uses for the money but the back end revenue generation isn't the point of the tax - the point of the tax is to drive up the cost to influence behavior. Is an increased tax on ammo and arms a good idea? it certainly would restrict access but again it does it along socioeconomic class lines rather than the lines of actual groups we are looking to exclude. Maybe the argument can be made that gun related crime is more prevalent in the lower socioeconomic strata, but is it cause and effect? or a matter of population size and other factors.

This is nonsense. I mean it's a good rant, and there are a few things (very few) I agree with but in the context of this situation this is about as realistic as asking the man in the moon to affect gun violence by changing the tides. I'm not saying it isn't good advice for parenting, it's just not a viable solution given the many factors involved. It's also highly generalizing, more opinion than fact, and not really something you can base a go forward policy of improvement on. If you are already being a "good parent" (whatever that is) you can't really force the guy next to you to be the same.

In terms of how we have been as a society I don't think any of this bit about shame or responsibility is no more or less true than it was 50-100 years ago, it just feels different because things are more public due to the nature of modern technology. Whenever I start to hear about how much better things were in "the old days" it reminds me that in addition to this "halcyon" concept of honor there was massive institutionalized racism, sexism, classicism, lack of employment protections, etc... This isn't ancient history, If you are in your mid-30s this openly happened in your lifetime and still continues to happen at certain levels in more invisible ways.

The process is functional but is it really any good? Speed and efficiently seems to be lacking, but how & who updates it? Is it a national database? Are Psychologists, psychiatrist or even judges able to add people to it? Is it just for guns? Because you could put a sales restriction at stores on ammo too. This guy was told to seek mental help in a court document when he sued for wrongful termination and discrimination. To me that's an automatic red flag. I haven't researched if he bought his stuff at a store or from a private individual.

I would go even further to have guns registered and user have permits just like you have to have a title for a car and a license to legally operate it. Then really the biggest issue would be private sales. Obviously people will still do things illegally and always will. But when the "War on Drugs" is over (or lessened when Marijuana is legal), those officers need something to do.

You can tax the 2nd amendment, Alcohol is taxed which is granted by the 21st. Marijuana will be taxed once it's legal and cigarettes are taxed. You're taxed to register your car, for the gas you put in, for the land you live on and own. Anything can be taxed. Sure some people will be pissed off at first, but if they want it, they'll pay for it. 2nd amendment is a little out dated anyway, no one is going to form a militia and take over or protect the Government. Sure they can try a military coup but we all know it's not going to end well for them. As far as what the tax money goes for, it would first be for improving the system in place or a new better system. Who manages it? Who manages the current system? Benefit/aid the victims? Nope. That's why you have health and/or life insurance and the ability to sue the party at fault. Sue the gun company? I say no, but people sued tobacco companies and won.

Mental health funding, just a thought but there probably wouldn't be enough left over from trying to implement the system. And the health care debate is probably best served for another time but mental healthcare in this county is lacking.

I would go even further to have guns registered and user have permits just like you have to have a title for a car and a license to legally operate it.

I'm not naive, this will never stop all gun violence but it could deter it. As with most things, it will take time to see the numbers go down. I'm all for conceal and carry, I'm not for everybody having gun like it's the wild wild west. Anything more than a hand gun or hunting riffle seems overkill to me but the same could be said for cars was massive amounts of horsepower. But we have a gas guzzler tax for that.

I don't own a gun, never felt the need to own one. I'm not scared of the neighborhood I live or work in. I guess I just don't see the benefit to owning one. I've shot guns and it was fun to do target practice and would like to eventually take one of your classes when life permits. I think that would be a fun experience. But I don't ever see the need to have one handy. If I get shot by some crazy person, sucks for me. I highly doubt having a gun myself would prevent that.

I'm not saying my idea is perfect, possible or even plausible. I doubt it's possible because I'm not rich enough to buy any politicians. Maybe I'm just the only one getting tired of seeing it on the news every week and would like to see something change. That and seeing people saying "they shoulda had a gun too". That's just fucking ridiculous.

How about we stop giving every kid a trophy? Not everyone is a winner. Raise kids to know their place and that a happy life doesn't have to be a status related competition. How about parents stand their ground and not cave into the kids wants all the time. If you are raising a child you need to provide leadership and set the example. Right now, we have 40+ years of many parents wanting to be friends with their kids and giving up on being a parent by the time the kid is 13. We don't need a law, or a tax to show change or effort. We need to grow the fuck up and be responsible for our actions and those of our family. Shame means nothing anymore, because pride is gone. It's acceptable to screw up time and time again. That is what we are ok with today.

Agreed with all this but not sure this is the best solution for gun violence.

As far as irrational people/laws, there's laws against murder, child porn & bestiality to name a few. So yeah, we have a lot of laws for irrational people.

USA! USA! USA! We're #1!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/files/2012/12/firearm-OECD-UN-data3.jpg

USA! USA! USA! We're #1!

Fun graphic.

Let's take guns out of the equation though and just look at intentional homicide rate.

In that case the US falls down to #111. So 110 countries with a higher homicide rate.

How can that be possible without them having all the evil guns though?? :no:

UNODC murder rates, most recent year

Country Rate Count Region Subregion Year Notes

Honduras 90.4 7,172 Americas Central America 2012

Venezuela 53.7 16,072 Americas South America 2012

Virgin Islands 52.6 56 Americas Caribbean 2010

Belize 44.7 145 Americas Central America 2012

El Salvador 41.2 2,594 Americas Central America 2012

Guatemala 39.9 6,025 Americas Central America 2012

Jamaica 39.3 1,087 Americas Caribbean 2012

Lesotho 38.0 764 Africa Southern Africa 2010

Swaziland 33.8 416 Africa Southern Africa 2012