'90s Cheap Cars - Jack B article

zeitgeist57

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a26591/remembering-the-golden-age-of-cheap-cars/

*Le sigh*....this article brings back fond memories. I miss my rust-free Suzuki Samurai.

I do think it's funny how he talked about all the "rich kids" getting cars their parents bought for him...and then goes on to say how his dad ordered a nicely-equipped VW Fox!

Great article. This line spoke to me the most:

"Those kids, however, often form lifelong attachments based on their first cars."

Which is why I've owned this for over 10 years now:

10258934_10203550303227761_1541664476602945085_n.jpg?oh=29189878e846dfb3f6dcf9785ab8a292&oe=5667A32B

Not my first, but my second car, was a 1985 four banger Mustang. No way could I ever afford the insurance nor the cost of the 5.0 GT, so the four banger had to do. My '86 GT above is actually my 4th four eyed Mustang, as I've owned one other 4 banger and another '86 GT. I also had a '93 Cobra while I was in the Air Force.

And just for the record, I'd sell my Cobra and my G8 way before I'd part with my '86 GT... :cool:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a26591/remembering-the-golden-age-of-cheap-cars/

*Le sigh*....this article brings back fond memories. I miss my rust-free Suzuki Samurai.

My brother's first car was a Samurai in perfect condition inside and out. He sold it after a month to get some POS truck. He hates himself for it now

I do think it's funny how he talked about all the "rich kids" getting cars their parents bought for him...and then goes on to say how his dad ordered a nicely-equipped VW Fox!

I think he meant to say his dad covered the cost of the upgrade from the basic white one to the silver one, not that his dad had paid for the whole car. His writing is not the greatest so I don't always know what he is trying to say, but such is the nature of fast and cheap internet content.

At 17 I bought my only new car - the 1995 jeep wrangler I am still driving today. Technically it was my 4th car, but only the second that was legally registered and insured. My first was a Buick Skylark that had a blown transmission that my dad abandoned in our backyard in Queens. It hadn't run since 1985 when he bought the VW Rabbit Diesel but he said if I got it running I could have it. I packed that turbine 200 full of sawdust, showed him it could back down the alley and pull forward he gave me the keys. When the frame rail rusted through and broke a month later he junked it and gave me the $500 he got for it which I immediately put into a 1967 SS396 Chevelle roller.

In NY you can't get your license till you are 17 (Cinderella licenses at 16 but the paperwork is a pain) so once I got the chevelle running I couldn't register it or insure it. A drunk driver wrecked it when it was parked on the street and my dad was relieved because he was tired of talking to the neighbors about their missing license plates.

the Day I got my license he gave me his 1987 Jeep Cherokee 2 door Laredo. He had bought it new with a 5 speed, A/C 6 way manual seats, and an AM radio. Weird. I paid all gas, insurance, and registration. It had been hit in the door and not fixed well so the rain got in on the drivers side and after I put the Studebaker supercharger on it - it went from mildly shabby to ragged out in no time. When I traded it for the 1995 Wrangler I was shocked the dealer gave us $2K for it with 140k miles.

Which brings me to my 1995 wrangler. Never mind that it is rare in that it is an SE with the 3.55 gears, factory air conditioning, and towing package, or that it was the last new YJ sold on Long Island that was not a Canadian import. But every time I think about getting rid of it I think about how much fun I have had with that car, how much of my life has been tied up in it. Last year at a moment of weakness one of my old high school buddies put it best: "who would you be without your jeep"? Who indeed.

My first car was a 1987 Nissan Pulsar NX (the weird one with the t-tops and removable hatch.) So was my second car. But I never was, nor am currently, a Nissan guy. I do, however, have an appreciation for cars that have descriptors like "small","simple", and "weird". :)

Gutless twin stick colt? He wasn't driving it right. I drove the heck out of mine, it was indestructible and as reliable as a swiss watch. I couldn't get the thing to stop running. I'd buy one in a second if I could find one still in one piece. Between my father and I we had 3 of the things. The only thing that really sucked on the car was the defrost. You basically had the bottom 2 1/2- 3" of the windshield to look out of. lol

My first car was a 1987 Nissan Pulsar NX (the weird one with the t-tops and removable hatch.) So was my second car. But I never was, nor am currently, a Nissan guy. I do, however, have an appreciation for cars that have descriptors like "small","simple", and "weird". :)

I had one of those... silver. I really enjoyed it with the tops off. My first car was a Tracel... there was no attachment there.

I think he meant to say his dad covered the cost of the upgrade from the basic white one to the silver one, not that his dad had paid for the whole car. His writing is not the greatest so I don't always know what he is trying to say, but such is the nature of fast and cheap internet content.

At 17 I bought my only new car - the 1995 jeep wrangler I am still driving today. Technically it was my 4th car, but only the second that was legally registered and insured. My first was a Buick Skylark that had a blown transmission that my dad abandoned in our backyard in Queens. It hadn't run since 1985 when he bought the VW Rabbit Diesel but he said if I got it running I could have it. I packed that turbine 200 full of sawdust, showed him it could back down the alley and pull forward he gave me the keys. When the frame rail rusted through and broke a month later he junked it and gave me the $500 he got for it which I immediately put into a 1967 SS396 Chevelle roller.

In NY you can't get your license till you are 17 (Cinderella licenses at 16 but the paperwork is a pain) so once I got the chevelle running I couldn't register it or insure it. A drunk driver wrecked it when it was parked on the street and my dad was relieved because he was tired of talking to the neighbors about their missing license plates.

the Day I got my license he gave me his 1987 Jeep Cherokee 2 door Laredo. He had bought it new with a 5 speed, A/C 6 way manual seats, and an AM radio. Weird. I paid all gas, insurance, and registration. It had been hit in the door and not fixed well so the rain got in on the drivers side and after I put the Studebaker supercharger on it - it went from mildly shabby to ragged out in no time. When I traded it for the 1995 Wrangler I was shocked the dealer gave us $2K for it with 140k miles.

Which brings me to my 1995 wrangler. Never mind that it is rare in that it is an SE with the 3.55 gears, factory air conditioning, and towing package, or that it was the last new YJ sold on Long Island that was not a Canadian import. But every time I think about getting rid of it I think about how much fun I have had with that car, how much of my life has been tied up in it. Last year at a moment of weakness one of my old high school buddies put it best: "who would you be without your jeep"? Who indeed.

http://s28.postimg.org/aren7oxfh/seriously_your_post_might_be_a_little_too_long_o.jpg

Every. Single. Post. :lol:

http://blogs.constantcontact.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/10-Mistakes-image-600x187.jpg

This post? 2,328.

tl;dr

...It's late.

Hey yenner,

I get it, you are illerate. I'm sorry my writing is making you extremely self conscious of the fact but there are some great adult education programs that can get you back on track. It's not to late to get your life turned around. You can do it buddy!!!