Pet adoption experts chime in....- WWCRD?

TTQ B4U

Okay, so we as family all have a hole in our heart for having lost our boxer and really miss having two dogs. Our current pit mix is about 70lbs and we've had him since he was about 6weeks.

Today we went to a couple shelters and at the Franklin County one off Morse Rd. we found a very very sweet and lovable female pit/pit mix that apparently had pups but was found by the dog warden and brought to them about 1-2 weeks ago. She's about 50lbs but needs some love and a couple good meals as she is thin.

Where I'm looking for opinions is that our current pup and how to introduce them. He got along great with our boxer but is very territorial and seemingly not friendly with other dogs - at least when we walk him.

We did introduce him to my mother in laws dog, a puppy, and it took a couple days but he was fine. We did so at our home by putting them in kennels side by side and gradually getting them to know one another. I'm thinking that would work here again.

I know everyone says to do it on neutral territory, but he's not good while walking him and it doesn't allow for much control other than the leash. I also think he's likely protective of my wife while on walks. At least here in the house he has a cage and a leash.

He's very good with our kids and the new pup was lovable and great with the kids today too. The volunteer said she was snipping with small dogs at the shelter but is fine with larger ones.

So what would CR Do? Thanks in advance for the insight.

All she wanted was to be held and petted and loved on. Very sweet girl.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/crms3er/20150927_164541_006_zpsfnv1941m.jpg

Our Sheltie is territorial and we just introduced them and let them work things out... for a while we only let them around each other when we were with them... the Sheltie finally warmed up to her and now they are fine. Now if we could only get the puppy house trained faster, that would be great!

I think that Franklin County requires you to bring your current dog in before adopting to see if the animals get along. It's definitely worth a shot, and if it doesn't work, then you aren't out any adoption fees. The only negative is the high-stress environment of the shelter on your current dog, so it may not make for the best meet-and-greet experience.

I think that Franklin County requires you to bring your current dog in before adopting to see if the animals get along. It's definitely worth a shot, and if it doesn't work, then you aren't out any adoption fees. The only negative is the high-stress environment of the shelter on your current dog, so it may not make for the best meet-and-greet experience.

Good insight guys and thanks to Ryan for the phone call. It's a tough decision but we as a family are going to have to let this girl go to another home.

They don't require we bring our current dog there but it's a good idea. Unfortunately our current one would be worse off doing so as with ALL those dogs and scents around I know he wouldn't do well and would be on edge.

We are going to look at getting a very young puppy instead.

Thanks for the input everyone.

It's easier sometimes to let the dogs meet off leash. If your holding onto your dog with the leash it may feel it has a job to protect you while it's on him. Most people tug there dogs back from smelling other people and dogs on walks which sometimes gives them the sense you don't trust other people and dogs.