Fast 4 Door AWD Sedan or Wagon

hpfiend

Hey all-

Now that I have school drop off duty I have been driving my 2001 Outback Wagon H6 3.0 outside of the winter season. The more I drive it, I enjoy it further. I actually just got a set of BBS wheels for it with the thought I could use them on an 818 someday.

Starting to have the crazy idea of selling the c5z and making the subie into a sleeper wagon. If the 2010 or 2011+ CTS-V wagon or sedan was AWD I would already have it. I am basically looking like for a 4 door winter capable version of my c5z. The wife's Acura RL is actually pretty close with some boost, stiffer suspension and a diet.

The only car that comes to mind right now that really excites me is the Audi RS7 and its quite a bit out of my price range. I found an old video of an 80s or 90s S2 quattro with 800 HP and a four door version of that might be a really fun project if such a beast exists. Subaru Legacy GT also intrigues me but I think the boxer 4 is too limited in power. The Jetta VR6 may be a good one also but I remember the drivetrain issues shanton had.

Just looking for casual thoughts or opinions...

Maybe I should actually start working on the gremlin again rather than think about starting a new project- this is truly a sickness...

Thanks

Pretty sure they make an AWD 535xi too if you need more room.

Biggest question here is budget.

There are a lot of big fast sedans but the AWD limits the choices quite a bit. For instance a nice,older E55 can be had for mid to high teen's these days it it's rear drive. We drive ours year round with snow tires in the winter without issue

Pretty sure they make an AWD 535xi too if you need more room.

Biggest question here is budget.

There are a lot of big fast sedans but the AWD limits the choices quite a bit. For instance a nice,older E55 can be had for mid to high teen's these days it it's rear drive. We drive ours year round with snow tires in the winter without issue

I do not shovel my driveway or have any plans to start so awd or 4x4 is a necessity ;)

I got sidetracked earlier and didn't finish my reply...

As far as budget I would like to end up with a car that has awd and does the quarter as fast as the c5z if not faster with potential for more for about the same money as my h6 outback and c5z are currently worth. I guess that means about 25k?

Regarding the hellcat cherokee, I don't buy new cars anymore, I am too mechanically inclined to suffer that much depreciation. I would consider the new focus RS if it wasn't so small for sure with that being said.

Regarding snow tires on a rwd car- besides my laziness regarding the driveway issue- I would hate to get stuck with 2 or 3 small kids in the car (depending on the day). I drove my 435 hp supercharged h/c/I fox body year round for 4 years on all seasons- I only got stuck once and fortunately it was in my neighborhood.

Regarding the newer Audis b5/b8 I have only heard terrible things about suspension problems and expense of parts that don't last long? Maybe I am incorrect?

And Brian, yes I only drove the corvette about 5 times this year and do not look forward to scraping the windshield this winter on the subie as we have a 2 car garage. When I drove the corvette daily 7-8 months out of the year it was worth it!

ooh good one! I didn't know they had an AWD version of the 335! I wonder how they are for reliabililty/maintenance.

I love my 335, do basic bolt-ons and a tune and you're at 400rwhp. My car with just a tune went 13.1 @108

The New Golf R would be fun as well.

The New Golf R would be fun as well.

^^ this. Seriously on the list of replacements for my wife. She likes the utility of an SUV / Van but prefers driving a car. Not quite as useful in size but the VW is a fun little car to scoot around in. Tuning it is easy and really wakes that shit up too.