WTB: Gm t-56

STEVE-O

That's pretty vague. There are differences depending on years and what car it came out of. You need something 98 or newer for an LQ4, but if it has to be F-body be ready to hunt and spend some coin. I bought one that was locked up for $700 a few years ago to do my conversion and then spent money fixing and cryo-treating it. In my opinion I would just spend the money on a TR6060 conversion from RPM or Tick, you'll be better off in the long run.

That's pretty vague. There are differences depending on years and what car it came out of. You need something 98 or newer for an LQ4, but if it has to be F-body be ready to hunt and spend some coin. I bought one that was locked up for $700 a few years ago to do my conversion and then spent money fixing and cryo-treating it. In my opinion I would just spend the money on a TR6060 conversion from RPM or Tick, you'll be better off in the long run.

No need for a $5k trans

A good rebuilt t56 and a nice twin disc clutch will work just fine for my build. Idk why people think you need a fully treated trans or top to bottom level 5.

He'll ask Jp running a STOCK t56 and clutch making almost 800whp

I have also seen stock 4l80 hold up to 750+who in a turbo 2500 truck

No need for a $5k trans

A good rebuilt t56 and a nice twin disc clutch will work just fine for my build. Idk why people think you need a fully treated trans or top to bottom level 5.

He'll ask Jp running a STOCK t56 and clutch making almost 800whp

I have also seen stock 4l80 hold up to 750+who in a turbo 2500 truck

Well you still didn't answer what tailhousing you need on it.

Besides it's not a matter of if it will hold up, it's how long it will last. That wasn't my point anyway, they haven't made T-56s since 2008 so finding a good one isn't cheap. When you can spend $2k on something used that'll last "who knows how long" or a TR-6060 conversion for $4k with whatever combo of parts you want and it is a brand new better shifting trans.

I wish I had bought the TR-6060, I spent $700 on a used broken trans, I then spent $2k on parts and cryo-treating. If I had simply bought a $2k T56 I'm sure I would've broken it by now given the way I treat my car, and then spent $2k or more fixing it. This in my opinion is why Tick and their $4k TR-6060 conversion is worth it. If you've ever driven a car with a 6060 in it you'd know it just works better anyway.

Just because i posted my advice doesn't mean you have to take it, it also doesn't mean you need to be an asshole and tell me I'm stupid. Have fun breaking parts bud.

Well you still didn't answer what tailhousing you need on it.

Besides it's not a matter of if it will hold up, it's how long it will last. That wasn't my point anyway, they haven't made T-56s since 2008 so finding a good one isn't cheap. When you can spend $2k on something used that'll last "who knows how long" or a TR-6060 conversion for $4k with whatever combo of parts you want and it is a brand new better shifting trans.

I wish I had bought the TR-6060, I spent $700 on a used broken trans, I then spent $2k on parts and cryo-treating. If I had simply bought a $2k T56 I'm sure I would've broken it by now given the way I treat my car, and then spent $2k or more fixing it. This in my opinion is why Tick and their $4k TR-6060 conversion is worth it. If you've ever driven a car with a 6060 in it you'd know it just works better anyway.

Just because i posted my advice doesn't mean you have to take it, it also doesn't mean you need to be an asshole and tell me I'm stupid. Have fun breaking parts bud.

Who said you were stupid? And I don't need any other parts for a swap my car already had a t56 from a fbody in it and I have the drives fat and mounts etc needed to out one back in it.

again I am not spending 4-5k for a trans I don't want or need. I much rather spend the money on a solid clutch and have a good t56. Not that any of these places can't build a badass trans but I find it funnier than all hell they try and sell you a stage 2 t56 to hold 600rwtq

Cordell is right. You aren't going to find a "budget" t56 that hasn't been beat to shit already. I contemplated swapping my 4l60 over to t56, then I tried to find a used t56. After I saw the pricing on the trans itself, I decided to sell the car. He's right though, a conversion is typically the better route as you'll nickel and dime yourself over the long run otherwise.

Cordell is right. You aren't going to find a "budget" t56 that hasn't been beat to shit already. I contemplated swapping my 4l60 over to t56, then I tried to find a used t56. After I saw the pricing on the trans itself, I decided to sell the car. He's right though, a conversion is typically the better route as you'll nickel and dime yourself over the long run otherwise.

Werd

Okay to make the masses happy riddle me this then

Why not just buy a tr6060 from say a 10+ Camaro instead??

Because you'll end up changing your mind anyways like you have 10 times on this build that gearhead will put together?

It's not to make the masses happy, just the simple fact that you are trying to find a transmission that is at a minimum 10 years old( more like 15 plus years) more than likely beat within an inch of its life,rather expensive to rebuild, and you will definately spend $1500 or over for this gamble.

There's a small chance that this $1500 plus transmission is going to need nothing, but as said above more than likely needs internal parts, because it's been beat to shit.

If anything is wrong with the trans, usually the fix is minimum $500 in parts, that's fixing it yourself, and if you can't do that, labor will double that at a minimum. That's the best case scenario.

Or you can base your build with the prices and expectations of JP's car, who will have you believe that you can find one of these for $500 and it will come with a free LS 1. With a little bubble gum and some zip ties and $4000 you too can have a 900whp car. These expectations are possible, but usually not probable.

What are your goals with this build? Power adder? Power it will be putting down?

I have seen PLENTY of stick cars at the various LSX Shootout events all of the country grenade a non-built transmission. My advice from seeing stuff like this at every event, every year is to put a quality transmission in your car.

The laws of physics don't give a damn about your budget or what some guy did on the internet with his build, you apply to much power to the wrong parts they fail, period.

What are your goals with this build? Power adder? Power it will be putting down?

I have seen PLENTY of stick cars at the various LSX Shootout events all of the country grenade a non-built transmission. My advice from seeing stuff like this at every event, every year is to put a quality transmission in your car.

The laws of physics don't give a damn about your budget or what some guy did on the internet with his build, you apply to much power to the wrong parts they fail, period.

It also depends on how you shift.....haha. just call rpm and see what they have sitting around. Sucks, but you need/want a solid tranny.

Because the tailhousing would need changed to that of a T56 for most applications which means customizing the output shaft and shifter components. A 5th gen Camaro has a remote shifter, and a fixed yoke on the trans output making it a much more difficult swap. That is what companies like Tick and RPM are doing to a TR6060 to convert it, machining a few parts (I'm not an expert on the details) to change the back of the trans to fit like a T56 with shifter location and driveshaft.

What you may want to consider is the T56 Magnum that can be bought brand new for $3k. It's basically a TR6060 from tremec with a T56 style tailhousing. The shifter is a couple inches farther forward of a stock 4th gen fbody trans, other then that it's really close. They make a shifter that puts it really close but people had issues getting that to work well in a 4th gen car so I decided not to go that route. I don't know what car you are putting this in but maybe you want to try that.

Because the tailhousing would need changed to that of a T56 for most applications which means customizing the output shaft and shifter components. A 5th gen Camaro has a remote shifter, and a fixed yoke on the trans output making it a much more difficult swap. That is what companies like Tick and RPM are doing to a TR6060 to convert it, machining a few parts (I'm not an expert on the details) to change the back of the trans to fit like a T56 with shifter location and driveshaft.

What you may want to consider is the T56 Magnum that can be bought brand new for $3k. It's basically a TR6060 from tremec with a T56 style tailhousing. The shifter is a couple inches farther forward of a stock 4th gen fbody trans, other then that it's really close. They make a shifter that puts it really close but people had issues getting that to work well in a 4th gen car so I decided not to go that route. I don't know what car you are putting this in but maybe you want to try that.

Perfect sense but it's weird on rpms site they say t56 magnum build but refer to it as their tr6060. I would be more inclined to go with a t56 magnum and use the extra savings to put twords a clutch. I also and a little hesitant however as rpm does not give any sort of hp/tq limit to any level of their transmissions

Just quoting this because its awesome.

Perfect sense but it's weird on rpms site they say t56 magnum build but refer to it as their tr6060. I would be more inclined to go with a t56 magnum and use the extra savings to put twords a clutch. I also and a little hesitant however as rpm does not give any sort of hp/tq limit to any level of their transmissions

You can buy the T56 magnum from Jeg's or lots of places, it's a mass produced trans that is intended for hotrods. Even the GM Performance catalog.