STi S207 most enjoyable STi ever?

Grudes

I like it, if it's lighter and with stronger components. Not that the typical STi has weak components, but I'm sure there will be a $47K tag on this model, so make they better make it stronger. The power is what it will always be with these cars. Even at 330hp, that is still less than bolt ons and a tune of current and past STi's.

Now, if they wanted to produce 375+hp, well then you have a huge woody and can run around humping everything.

With more power will come the need for stronger components. The pricing is still too high for the new car, IMO. $35K-$40K is frustrating to see for these cars new. To me, the STi/ Subaru's has all the features for a reliable daily, in any weather. It's fun. It's not the latest and greatest in many aspects, but it does what I need it to. I look forward to bad weather with driving these cars. What they are capable of, gives balance to where the car may be lacking in some other areas, to me. We all want to see more power with every model car out there. We just don't want to pay the price for the power to be there.

I agree Joe. If they add more power then other components will certainty need to be strengthened and you could actually loose some fun. Not to mention it will drive up the price. It does hit a pretty good price point right now but everyone is always looking to get more bang for they're money.

My 11 300HP STI popped a head gasket, stock, because of a documented shitty tune from the factory. Was lied to and went through hell to get it fixed on their dime. They are making them shittier because everyone mods them, and in the process fuck their customers. I bought almost $150,000 in Subarus in 10 years. They lost my business, not only because it's stagnant, but because I was treated like a piece of shit at the dealer time and time again.

Until Subaru puts a modern engine in an STI, I'll continue to be an outsider looking in.

Nothing excusable about the same old engine, which can get a mere 23mpg on the highway. Hell, high HP V8s can do better than that. Modern i4 turbo cars are into the 30mpg range all day long.

Once they do that, it'd be a hard car to ignore.

being that i bought a new STI i understand people holding out waiting for a new motor to come in the STI, personally i like the EJ. yes there are flaws but IMO for a fun practical daily that i can drive year round with just the purchase of a set of winter wheels and tires i am very happy with the car. not to mention the sound ooo that subie rumble

This article says not anytime soon: http://www.insidercarnews.com/subaru-unveils-its-limited-run-wrx-sti-s207/

Still underpowered.

I'm excited to drive the Ford Focus RS when it makes it's stateside debut in February.

Good luck if you don't already have your deposit down. Ultra low production, I doubt test drives will happen.

being that i bought a new STI i understand people holding out waiting for a new motor to come in the STI, personally i like the EJ. yes there are flaws but IMO for a fun practical daily that i can drive year round with just the purchase of a set of winter wheels and tires i am very happy with the car. not to mention the sound ooo that subie rumble

I like the EJ too, not to mention its been around for awhile so people know how to tune them and there is alot of aftermarket performance stuff available for them. The potiental for them is alot higher than that of a strictly direct injected motor due to fuel restrictions. I still love my 04 STi and the rumble :gabe:

That being said I still think Subaru needs to update their engine to stay competive and to meet emissions/fuel economy of the newer cars

Good luck if you don't already have your deposit down. Ultra low production, I doubt test drives will happen.

You can't even test drive a "regular" sti, at least locally. Not until a "deal" is agreed upon. It's a 35k car, lololol. I'll probably never buy one because of their policy.

The potiental for them is alot higher than that of a strictly direct injected motor due to fuel restrictions.

what does this mean?

You can't even test drive a "regular" sti, at least locally. Not until a "deal" is agreed upon. It's a 35k car, lololol. I'll probably never buy one because of their policy

I test drove a '15 STI in like November of last year at Hatfield with no issues at all.

Aaron-

Direct Injected engines use a high pressure fuel pump to create fuel pressures of 2000+ PSI in order to deliver the right amount of fuel directly into the combustion chamber. As a result of such high fuel pressures its difficult to increase the amount of fuel being delivered.. at least with the current level of technology. You can still tune them and get more power by having the injectors open longer but eventually you overwhelm the fuel system. Im sure that at some point aftermarket stuff will catch up. Some manufactures are using port and direct injection in order to achieve higher power levels.

You can't even test drive a "regular" sti, at least locally. Not until a "deal" is agreed upon. It's a 35k car, lololol. I'll probably never buy one because of their policy.

I was specifically talking about the Focus RS, I imagine the STi is SLIGHTLY easier to test drive. But only slightly.

Aaron-

Direct Injected engines use a high pressure fuel pump to create fuel pressures of 2000+ PSI in order to deliver the right amount of fuel directly into the combustion chamber. As a result of such high fuel pressures its difficult to increase the amount of fuel being delivered.. at least with the current level of technology. You can still tune them and get more power by having the injectors open longer but eventually you overwhelm the fuel system. Im sure that at some point aftermarket stuff will catch up. Some manufactures are using port and direct injection in order to achieve higher power levels.

I'm very familiar with modern direct injection engines, I simply didn't agree with you, and was looking for clarification.

At least in the Audi/VW world, the direct injection 2.0T and 3.0T can and will support 600+hp. They have HPFP upgrades, lpfp upgrades, injector upgrades, etc.

I would not consider the subaru 2.5T's lack of modern fueling to be a positive.

And the main reason for both direct and port is to prevent carbon build up on the valves. The added fuel is a bonus, but again, it really isn't a limiting factor (direct injection).

I test drove a '15 STI in like November of last year at Hatfield with no issues at all.

Go try at either of the Byers dealers. Fucking LULZY. Even their WRX's they guard like they're some super car.

I was specifically talking about the Focus RS, I imagine the STi is SLIGHTLY easier to test drive. But only slightly.

Gotcha.

It defintley does vary from brand to brand and aftermarket performance stuff is coming along. Im sure within a couple of years there will be all kinds of aftermarket performance stuff available. Just have to make sure you keep the carbon cleaned out of them to prevent stuck rings and carbon on valves etc..

Would you consider an STi if they had a direct injected 2.5L making 400hp at 30MPG?

It defintley does vary from brand to brand and aftermarket performance stuff is coming along. Im sure within a couple of years there will be all kinds of aftermarket performance stuff available. Just have to make sure you keep the carbon cleaned out of them to prevent stuck rings and carbon on valves etc..

Would you consider an STi if they had a direct injected 2.5L making 400hp at 30MPG?

I was very close to purchasing a 15 STI a few months ago. I could get by the VERY outdated powertrain, and all the stuff we know about that, given it would be new, and have a 5/60k powertrain warranty, and I'd have left that stock. I couldn't get by the gas mileage, and insurance costs.

Simply too many compromises in that vehicle for me to pull the trigger. I was only willing to overlook so many downfalls.

It wouldn't even have to be at 30mpg, something like 26-28 would be totally fine, and even 350hp in a modern Direct injection engine with a turbo that spools a bit earlier and holds longer, etc. I would be VERY interested in that car.

I was very close to purchasing a 15 STI a few months ago. I could get by the VERY outdated powertrain, and all the stuff we know about that, given it would be new, and have a 5/60k powertrain warranty, and I'd have left that stock. I couldn't get by the gas mileage, and insurance costs.

Simply too many compromises in that vehicle for me to pull the trigger. I was only willing to overlook so many downfalls.

It wouldn't even have to be at 30mpg, something like 26-28 would be totally fine, and even 350hp in a modern Direct injection engine with a turbo that spools a bit earlier and holds longer, etc. I would be VERY interested in that car.

Hmm well maybe the 17's will finally update the powertrain. They did in the standard WRX so I think its just a matter of time. If they come out with an updated powertrain for the STi in the 17 model year I'd be very tempted to trade my 04