The flip side to Dwiggs situation

Mojoe

Trust me, the grass is not always greener. I did that shit for a while. What I want. When, where, and how I wanted to do it. Between Vegas, LA, Dallas and CLE via multiple cross country drives and flights, I was wore out-and had no "path" to life. You have to be one unmotivated motherfucker to be happy with just "existing" and "seeing new shit" I'm just glad I came out of it without any kids or STDs

The only people that life works for long term are super odd potheads, and trust fund babies. (Oddly enough, they are often one in the same). That being said-I would advise everyone takes a 2 week cross country drive. Do it once-get it out of your system. This country is pretty epic when you take it all on at one time and should be experienced that way by every American at least once if they can. But, once is good enough. :)

I can tell you that a normal, blue collar American would not enjoy a true vagabond traveling life very long.

But staying in one place your whole life, and being complacent with the daily grind of 9-5 work, come home to kids, sleep, rinse and repeat for 25+ years doesn't work for some people either.

Personally that would be the most depressing shit ever. Life is extremely short, and you only get one crack on this blue marble. I envy people who constantly can move around and make that situation work. By 35 I will exit from working, sell off businesses and enjoy St Barths as home base while traveling a quarter of my time. I have zero interest in children though, so it's easy to be flexible.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But staying in one place your whole life, and being complacent with the daily grind of 9-5 work, come home to kids, sleep, rinse and repeat for 25+ years doesn't work for some people either.

Personally that would be the most depressing shit ever. Life is extremely short, and you only get one crack on this blue marble. I envy people who constantly can move around and make that situation work. By 35 I will exit from working, sell off businesses and enjoy St Barths as home base while traveling a quarter of my time. I have zero interest in children though, so it's easy to be flexible.

Damn! Impressive! What do you do? And how you do it?

And of course you would have no child/children. Family life may seem like a burden at time but it's also so rewarding. When you're healthy everything seems easy and you can take on the world, but when you sick or your business not doing well, have a soul mate will help a lot. As for kids they're 90% burden/annoying as shit, but the 10% time that they're awesome it's the greatest joy in the world. Everyday I got home from work, no matter how tired or frustrated I am just seeing my boys rush to the door and jump on me all of those things that weighted me down disappeared. Kinda like "...for every run that 10's or less I'm free..." Kinda feeling.

Damn! Impressive! What do you do? And how you do it?

And of course you would have no child/children. Family life may seem like a burden at time but it's also so rewarding. When you're healthy everything seems easy and you can take on the world, but when you sick or your business not doing well, have a soul mate will help a lot. As for kids they're 90% burden/annoying as shit, but the 10% time that they're awesome it's the greatest joy in the world. Everyday I got home from work, no matter how tired or frustrated I am just seeing my boys rush to the door and jump on me all of those things that weighted me down disappeared. Kinda like "...for every run that 10's or less I'm free..." Kinda feeling.

Engineer day gig

Own a engineering firm out of state

Own other low hanging fruit and always looking for others.

Far from the wealthiest on here.

I fully understand the life of having to liquidate too ha. Currently heavy six figures deep in a deal that won't pan out for a year or so....

I look at everything as risk vs reward, children to me offer no positives.... Not worth all the nightmares I watch others go through.

Everyone is different though, that's what makes things interesting I suppose.

For fucks sake some of you sound like you've never gone anywhere or done anything with your life. WTF?

Get out and travel, see the world with or without your family. Many of you sound like you are living in hell and dropping everything to leave is the only way out.

Maybe just step back and look at your life, and change your path if it's not headed in the direction you intended.

I'm sure this isn't the case (at least I hope) but damn, reading some of these posts sure come off that way.. :lol:

Regardless of how bad things are you can ALWAYS drop everything and walk away and start new. Maybe I got use to it moving in the military every few years but you've got to look at life differently people. You've always got people that bitch about everything. It doesn't matter the assignment, they are never happy and that may or may not be the case when you drop everything and try it.

Life is what you make it, go and enjoy it before it's gone and/or the people you love are gone with it.:thumbup:

I don't see a flipside to it. I can't relate to anything he's going/gone through because I'm not a narcissistic, sociopathic piece of shit. He's done everything he possibly could as a "business owner" wrong to a comical degree, and I see it as nothing more than karma catching up to his arrogant ass.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

You can have a steady 40 hr/week job that you hate and ties you down, or you can have a steady 40/hr week job that you enjoy and that lets you pursue a hobby and take vacations.

You can have a house, a family, and responsibilities that tie you down and feel like a burden, or you can have all of those things that bring you joy and stability.

Life, especially what we'd call modern life, is all about finding a balance. We don't have to strive for extreme ends of the spectrum; you could be a survivalist dependent on no one, able to live on off the grid on your meager savings for the rest of your life, or you could be a yuppie strung out on debt with no flexibility to adjust course when the mood or the moment strikes because you get high off the thrill of living a high-speed, high-stakes lifestyle.

Whatever works for you is fine, I think most of us prefer to be somewhere in the middle. But I'm sure we all second guess our decisions. I choose to drive cheap cars because I don't want to tie money up in something nicer, but when I drive someone's BMW I wonder if maybe that little bit of financial security wouldn't be worth giving up for this badass 27-way power heated and cooled seat. I choose to live in an expensive neighborhood because I like the security and advantages it offers, but when I write my fucking check to RITA every quarter I wonder if maybe those benefits wouldn't be worth giving up to live somewhere outside the loop and have a badass finished basement.

You can't have it all, but that doesn't mean you can't find happiness in the middle.

You can have a steady 40 hr/week job that you hate and ties you down, or you can have a steady 40/hr week job that you enjoy and that lets you pursue a hobby and take vacations.

You can have a house, a family, and responsibilities that tie you down and feel like a burden, or you can have all of those things that bring you joy and stability.

Life, especially what we'd call modern life, is all about finding a balance. We don't have to strive for extreme ends of the spectrum; you could be a survivalist dependent on no one, able to live on off the grid on your meager savings for the rest of your life, or you could be a yuppie strung out on debt with no flexibility to adjust course when the mood or the moment strikes because you get high off the thrill of living a high-speed, high-stakes lifestyle.

Whatever works for you is fine, I think most of us prefer to be somewhere in the middle. But I'm sure we all second guess our decisions. I choose to drive cheap cars because I don't want to tie money up in something nicer, but when I drive someone's BMW I wonder if maybe that little bit of financial security wouldn't be worth giving up for this badass 27-way power heated and cooled seat. I choose to live in an expensive neighborhood because I like the security and advantages it offers, but when I write my fucking check to RITA every quarter I wonder if maybe those benefits wouldn't be worth giving up to live somewhere outside the loop and have a badass finished basement.

You can't have it all, but that doesn't mean you can't find happiness in the middle.

Well said, except the cheap car part. That part does not compute with me. ;)

Well said, except the cheap car part. That part does not compute with me. ;)

I agree with you, Greg, even the cheap car part. I'd +rep you, but of course, that feature's disabled.

"If you're not happy here and now, you never will be."

-Taisen Deshimaru

+1 to greg.

+4 to Greg. My thoughts exactly.

I never thought I would have kids. NEVER! I have lived, and rocked out in multiple places, and can honestly say I am a bit selfish with my needs and my time.

But I will also say having kids is BY FAR the most rewarding thing I have ever, and will ever do. My kids are ridiculously awesome. Every day is a new adventure. I can agree its not for everyone, and it only works this well because my wife is a great mother and a great teammate.

There was a time when I was making more than all my friends, cash. It started with living 5 months in Hawaii, and then finding a great nitch in NE Ohio. I was literally with a different woman every night of the week, and was in South Florida, The Cali Coast, or Vegas once a month. I did multiple cross country and cross continent trips just to site see. At the time, had the fastest car around, and traveled to multiple racing events a season. In retrospect, it was indeed fun, but in the end unfulfilled. It was only as good as what I was doing at that time, that day. In some aspects, it was in a lot of ways the loneliest time in my life.

Having a family is incomparable to anything I have ever done in the past-and I can without hesitation say its the most fulfilling thing I have ever done. And, as much as I could pretend I could be "single, selfish and happy" forever, realistically there was always a woman trying to lock me up. Good problem to have a guess ;)

I never thought I would have kids. NEVER! I have lived, and rocked out in multiple places, and can honestly say I am a bit selfish with my needs and my time.

But I will also say having kids is BY FAR the most rewarding thing I have ever, and will ever do. My kids are ridiculously awesome. Every day is a new adventure. I can agree its not for everyone, and it only works this well because my wife is a great mother and a great teammate.

There was a time when I was making more than all my friends, cash. It started with living 5 months in Hawaii, and then finding a great nitch in NE Ohio. I was literally with a different woman every night of the week, and was in South Florida, The Cali Coast, or Vegas once a month. I did multiple cross country and cross continent trips just to site see. At the time, had the fastest car around, and traveled to multiple racing events a season. In retrospect, it was indeed fun, but in the end unfulfilled. It was only as good as what I was doing at that time, that day. In some aspects, it was in a lot of ways the loneliest time in my life.

Having a family is incomparable to anything I have ever done in the past-and I can without hesitation say its the most fulfilling thing I have ever done. And, as much as I could pretend I could be "single, selfish and happy" forever, realistically there was always a woman trying to lock me up. Good problem to have a guess ;)

Everyone always says the same thing to me, how having children was the best thing to happen to them, they never wanted them, etc. But these same people are constantly complaining about something, and generally just unhappy. Which ultimately wouldn't be an issue if children were out of the picture. I travel almost every weekend for pleasure, and absolutely love new experiences. Personally I see no benefit in having children, only downsides. Sure, that's rather self centered but I'm not signing up to make myself miserable. Obviously there's plenty of people who genuinely enjoy having children, which is great. Whatever makes you happy, it's just not for me...... Maybe in a few years I will find god and want a family :lolguy:

Truer words could not be spoken on the topic.

Eh that depends on a million factors.

I hated living in Cleveland. Couldn't stand the weather, 90% of the general landscape looks run down, even nice areas are littered with shitty roads, and crime. Rather depressing and negative place to be.

When living in Cleveland, I would hate coming back after a trip somewhere and wish I was back at whichever place I left. Now I travel a few times a month for pleasure, which I always enjoy, but look forward to getting back home as well.

+1 to Shawn. I cover NE Ohio for work and am happy to go up, eat/sleep/work on a company card, but CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW I SURVIVED growing up in Shaker Heights. :lol:

Cleveland has grown very nicely in the last 10 years...but the suburban sprawl is ridiculous and depressing.

I grew up in Cleveland and have found there are mainly three types of people. People who complain about Cleveland their whole lives, but never move (the majority), those who move, but come back for family and have a better appreciation, or those who move and appreciate their new place because it is better.

I think this is the case in most cities. I always tell people to move away. They will either enjoy the new place more or move back and appreciate what they have more.

I grew up in Cleveland and have found there are mainly three types of people. People who complain about Cleveland their whole lives, but never move (the majority), those who move, but come back for family and have a better appreciation, or those who move and appreciate their new place because it is better.

I think this is the case in most cities. I always tell people to move away. They will either enjoy the new place more or move back and appreciate what they have more.

Cleveland has a weird vibe though over most places. People are extremely proud to be from Cleveland, look at how many places survive from selling Cleveland related clothing.....

It's rather strange though, because those same people do bitch about Cleveland, but never do anything about it. Always reminded me of a abusive relationship, constantly making excuses of why they don't leave.

+1 to Shawn. I cover NE Ohio for work and am happy to go up, eat/sleep/work on a company card, but CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW I SURVIVED growing up in Shaker Heights. :lol:

Cleveland has grown very nicely in the last 10 years...but the suburban sprawl is ridiculous and depressing.

Some areas have really transformed, and grown. Overall it's still a seedy ass place, even the nicer areas are really nothing special... Depressing is right.

Dude, people grow up and live their whole lives in Sudan and shit and still manage to be happy and live fulfilling lives. If you can't be happy in Cleveland I'd say Doc's quote is dead on.

My first duty station was in Omaha, and when I got there and all of us newbs inevitably started complaining, that was the first time I heard what I'm sure is a common military trope: "Every assignment is what you make of it." Meaning you can't choose where you go, but you can choose your attitude. And so I found a way to have fun in Nebraska. Would I choose to live there ever again? Heck no. But that's not really the point.

Cleveland might not be your favorite place, but that doesn't mean you can't make the most of wherever you are. Happiness is all mental.