Good, quality rotor and pad replacements

Geeesammy

I'm looking for a good quality rotor and pad, not autozone shit and something better OEM preferably. Who are good brands to look at? I really don't want to trust a Chinese, ebay or autozone pad or rotor while tracking the car. I know EBC Is a good brand but any others to look at? I'm worried my pad selection will be limited due to my caliper choice so I am open to as many suggestions as possible to increase my chances of finding something suitable.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for a good quality rotor and pad, not autozone shit and something better OEM preferably. Who are good brands to look at? I really don't want to trust a Chinese, ebay or autozone pad or rotor while tracking the car. I know EBC Is a good brand but any others to look at? I'm worried my pad selection will be limited due to my caliper choice so I am open to as many suggestions as possible to increase my chances of finding something suitable.

Thanks in advance.

What car? What kind of track application?

For the track stuff I do EBC's are generally horrible.

1992 Supra..

Using a put together front brake setup, Mercedes 00-01 S430/S500 front calipers with a 350z touring rotor in the front.

Rear I'm using an evo/sti setup between calipers and rotors

Mainly HPDE and autocross.

Carbon tech are solid pads. Their 30 mins from me, great people.

Rotors you have endless options, and your budget will play a big part.

Carbon tech are solid pads. Their 30 mins from me, great people.

Rotors you have endless options, and your budget will play a big part.

Well give me some options so I at least know what my range is price wise. If I was looking for something super budget oriented I'd go ebay, I value my safety and that of others a bit more than saving a few hundred on rotors lol

I agree, carbotech is going to be the best people for the job. They will make any pad in their line in any backing plate shape desired. They are also easy to deal with on the phone.

Call and give them more specifics, I bet you end up with XP-10 or 12 compound and when you lock in the compound they'll make them and you are on your way.

Finding good pads for those front calipers from others is going to be difficult.

Well give me some options so I at least know what my range is price wise. If I was looking for something super budget oriented I'd go ebay, I value my safety and that of others a bit more than saving a few hundred on rotors lol

Girodisc rotors, you don't be disappointed.

As for pads, give carbon tech a ring and they will set you up with a solid setup.

I agree, carbotech is going to be the best people for the job. They will make any pad in their line in any backing plate shape desired. They are also easy to deal with on the phone.

Call and give them more specifics, I bet you end up with XP-10 or 12 compound and when you lock in the compound they'll make them and you are on your way.

Finding good pads for those front calipers from others is going to be difficult.

Shockingly they have the pads for those calipers, looked on their site. Giro disc doesn't list rotors though..

The full brembo caliper setups go for under $500, might be the better option

Don't over complicate the rotor choice. You don't have to spend $$$$ to get the "best" rotor.

If you want the best, look at AP racing or Performance friction.

If you want something that works, is durable and inexpensive I've had good luck with stoptech slotted rotors. They are heavy as heck but they take track abuse and last forever. They lasted a whole track season on the front of the GT3 for me this year and they were $120 each. The rotors I had on there before that were $1100 each. Weight between the two was drastically different but performance and durability were similar.

Don't over complicate the rotor choice. You don't have to spend $$$$ to get the "best" rotor.

If you want something that works, is durable and inexpensive I've had good luck with stoptech slotted rotors. They are heavy as heck but they take track abuse and last forever. They lasted a whole track season on the front of the GT3 for me this year and they were $120 each. The rotors I had on there before that were $1100 each. Weight between the two was drastically different but performance and durability were similar.

You are getting where I'm going I think.

I don't need the best of the best. Just something that will take abuse for a season or two and give me safety and peace of mind when I hit the brakes.

I also suggest carbotech.

Also, HPDE pads won't work well for autocross, and vice versa. Good news is that carbotechs pads are cross compatible, so you can swap pads on the same rotors with no impacts.

AX6 for autocross, and an XP10 or 12 for HPDE like Andy said.

Yeah I would say the pads matter more, but everyone will give you a different opinion.

I had AP rotors and hated them, replaced with giro disc and it was night and day.

I have Girodisc on the back of the GT3 right now. They were one of the only options for larger rotors for my car. I don't have any complaints about them but after 15 years of track work I'm over my expensive rotor phase. Pads, fluid, tires cost me enough every year.

Speaking of fluid...we might as well cover that here too. Consider ATE 200 your budget entry point for what you want to do. Motul 600 is the next step up and worth the extra cost in my opinion. I run Endless RF650 and it's the best fluid I've ever tried but it's overkill for you at the moment.

I think motul 600 is what's in my bike. I've never experienced fade with that and I have a decent brake setup on there too.

While we are on this topic I've debated deleting my abs and running an adjustable proportioning valve. Most guys going with big brakes kits on these cars do that. Thoughts on that?

I have Girodisc on the back of the GT3 right now. They were one of the only options for larger rotors for my car. I don't have any complaints about them but after 15 years of track work I'm over my expensive rotor phase. Pads, fluid, tires cost me enough every year.

Speaking of fluid...we might as well cover that here too. Consider ATE 200 your budget entry point for what you want to do. Motul 600 is the next step up and worth the extra cost in my opinion. I run Endless RF650 and it's the best fluid I've ever tried but it's overkill for you at the moment.

Motul 600 is about twice as expensive, if not more. Would you consider it over the ate 200 based on vehicle weight? pads? experience? all 3?

Motul 600 is about twice as expensive, if not more. Would you consider it over the ate 200 based on vehicle weight? pads? experience? all 3?

Tires as well.

I ran 200 when I started tracking with my M3. I had to bleed almost every individual day on track to keep exceptional pedal feel. It just got soft way too easily for me. Not soft like pedal goes to the floor and brakes don't work, but I'm really picky about pedal feel and it just wasn't ideal after you got the fluid hot a couple of times.

Motul 600 would last about 2x as many heat cycles before it started to do that.

I went 9-10 days this last year on the Endless fluid before I bled to get better pedal feel. If you break down the initial cost vs. how much fluid I was going through with the other two as frequently as I was bleeding them, the $45 per 500ml or whatever Endless is these days actually works out to be not a bad deal in the long run.

Obviously you have to determine what that point of diminished value is for you. IF you're running the ATE 200 and are happy with it and don't have issues with heat causing degradation then I don't see why you'd go away from it. If my car wasn't at the track as often as it is I'd probably have 200 or something similar in it.

So, what's wrong with some good OEM/Brembo blanks and really good pads? I'm guessing he will... maybe, get incremental gains from some fancy rotors. Probably high 9x% of his gains are going to be from the bigger rotors (mass, effective radius), better & bigger calipers and good pads. I'm thinking, especially at first, something that is a sure shot at working well and is going to be reliable is probably the better suggestion?

So, what's wrong with some good OEM/Brembo blanks and really good pads? I'm guessing he will... maybe, get incremental gains from some fancy rotors. Probably high 9x% of his gains are going to be from the bigger rotors (mass, effective radius), better & bigger calipers and good pads. I'm thinking, especially at first, something that is a sure shot at working well and is going to be reliable is probably the better suggestion?

Do you mean sticking with a factory brake setup?

With a light car Brembo blanks would probably last a good amount of time, but pushing a fair amount of weight around I would just opt for something a few bucks more....