Tech geeks: ASUS Transformer Book Flip

zeitgeist57

Wifey is looking at an ASUS Transformer Book Flip TP200SA-UHBF Signature Edition 2-in-1 PC. It's one of those flippy-rotatey laptop/tablet thingies.

It would be used to watch movies in car/on a plane, light internet/word processing schtuff. Any recommendations on this offer? Was $349, now $199.

We'd look at using this for the next couple of years, then figure out what the next-gen MacBook Air looks like.

http://i.giphy.com/ToMjGpGvZEV4kaKjrPO.gif

Anything in that price range is usually PAINFUL to use. Slow slow slow. Just go ahead and schedule an entire week to run windows updates on it.

Buy a high end device and use it for 5-6 years or buy one of these every year or two.

I recently bought an HP Stream 11 for my daughter to use, similar price and specs. 32GB of storage is pretty stifling, and it's pretty darn slow like Coaster says. But the Stream is a laptop, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it as a tablet. I mean, even as a tablet the specs on that Asus are pretty underwhelming, but it's a $200 tablet so what can you expect.

Buy it because it's a dirt cheap tablet and you'll probably like it well enough, buy it as a laptop replacement and you'll hate life.

We have a Chromebook (Toshiba Chromebook 2) for an internet browsing machine and couldn't be happier with it. It replaced our laptop. I have an 'old' home theater PC I was going to put on an 'old' LCD monitor for more rigorous task, but I don't think we need it at all.

If she does a lot of word processing, maybe not the best option as the document editing suite is not as polished as MS stuff. I'd probably end up breaking the computer with a large sledge hammer if I had to do the stuff I do at work in excel or power point on anything other than MS. I've used Chromebook and Open Office... they are garbage for any real work.

Sorry, I can't speak to the flippy thing specifically.

We have a Chromebook (Toshiba Chromebook 2) for an internet browsing machine and couldn't be happier with it. It replaced our laptop. I have an 'old' home theater PC I was going to put on an 'old' LCD monitor for more rigorous task, but I don't think we need it at all.

If she does a lot of word processing, maybe not the best option as the document editing suite is not as polished as MS stuff. I'd probably end up breaking the computer with a large sledge hammer if I had to do the stuff I do at work in excel or power point on anything other than MS. I've used Chromebook and Open Office... they are garbage for any real work.

Sorry, I can't speak to the flippy thing specifically.

I replaced my MacBook with the same chromebook. Does everything I need it to. If documents are a must just get used to google

Drive. You can anything you need with that.

Do you need to run Windows? Chromebooks are great as long as you have internet access. If you want to watch movies get an iPad or equivalent Android device.

My home "PC" is a Lenovo Yoga 2 which flips around to be a tablet but I hardly ever use it for that. It's pricey and I find myself using the Chrombook or my iPad more often than not.

If documents are a must just get used to google

Fuck that noise. It's not a getting used to it thing. It's not as capable and way, way more cumbersome to use. It's a capability and efficiency issue. Basic stuff it's fine. If you are doing real work or significant amounts with it, I'd pay good money for a windows machine with MS Office on it. Not that you have to, just saying what it would be worth for me. It's not just chrome, it's Open Office too, and I'm guessing anything that try's to replace Office. Open Office is better than chrome for an MS Office replacement too, and it's still pretty far behind MS office.... maybe a newer version of Open Office could work if it's gotten better and I wanted to learn it for the next 5 years.

But really, I'm guessing a vast majority of people rarely if ever touch those programs with their home PC.

Google docs will do 95% of what basic MS office will do. I've had yet to run into an issue where apps doesn't work for what I need. The issues I've seen is when you're opening a MS formatted document in Apps, and it doesn't convert everything over correctly.

Chromebook FTW!

you can pick up one on woot right now for next to nothing. They get good battery life and google docs is very underrated. I love using Google docs and you can export to Word if you ever need to transfer your stuff.

Link to Woot: http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-14-16gb-chromebooks-2014-model-30?ref=cp_cnt_gw_dly_wobtn

List of file types a chromebook can read: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183093?hl=en

Chromebooks are not all good though. they can't run x86 applications or anything that Windows can and you have to enjoy the Google ecosystem of apps. you can't run Android apps on ChromeOS and you have to treat it as something completely different from Android or anything else.