evo Car of the Year 2015

carl1647545492

In 5 years or so a GT4 will be on my short list if used prices are within reach.

They are currently trading for $10k over sticker with 1500 miles or less. The only positive sign is Porsche recently released more allocations. Most dealers are still selling at sticker so the more allocations the better the second hand market. The issue is, even with more allocations it's not even a dent in the list of people hoping to pick one up. My good friend who sells for Byers has been trying to get me an allocation since our turbo got destroyed and can't make it happen.

Given recent history of GT cars, in 5 years you might be able to buy a high mileage example for $75-ish. But this is a new GT car and it's still too early to really predict the trend

My 11 year old GT car with 35k miles on it (and a butt load of track time) is still worth 65-70% of its new value.

They make no note of the gt4 gearing, interesting.

It's a completely overblown complaint in my opinion. If you need to find a fault then yes the gearing could be shorter, but the gearing is effectively the same as the 996 GT3, 997.1 GT3, 997.1 GT3 RS and 997.2 GT3. ( critics complained there too and then quickly forgot).

Only the 3.8 RS and 4.0 RS got shorter gears.

They are currently trading for $10k over sticker with 1500 miles or less. The only positive sign is Porsche recently released more allocations. Most dealers are still selling at sticker so the more allocations the better the second hand market. The issue is, even with more allocations it's not even a dent in the list of people hoping to pick one up. My good friend who sells for Byers has been trying to get me an allocation since our turbo got destroyed and can't make it happen.

Given recent history of GT cars, in 5 years you might be able to buy a high mileage example for $75-ish. But this is a new GT car and it's still too early to really predict the trend

My 11 year old GT car with 35k miles on it (and a butt load of track time) is still worth 65-70% of its new value.

I guess simple folk like myself will stick to American cars that have good old depreciation. :lolguy:

It's a completely overblown complaint in my opinion. If you need to find a fault then yes the gearing could be shorter, but the gearing is effectively the same as the 996 GT3, 997.1 GT3, 997.1 GT3 RS and 997.2 GT3. ( critics complained there too and then quickly forgot).

Only the 3.8 RS and 4.0 RS got shorter gears.

That's cool. I only mentioned it because like you said, it's literally the only complaint I've heard about them.

That's cool. I only mentioned it because like you said, it's literally the only complaint I've heard about them.

I guess the difference with the GT4 is it shares a gearbox with....cayman s and GTS and as such nobody currently offers replacement gears since it's not a Motorsport box. BGB has a couple of options but they are not proving to have long term reliability in the race cars.

GT3's have the same box as a cup car. There are 3 shorter ring and pinion sets available as well as nearly endless options for individual gear sets. So GT3 guys can do something about the gearing "issue" is they please.

At Mid Ohio the shorter gearing isn't worth squat. At other tracks it's a distinct advantage but I've never been able to justify the cost of the upgrade.