Book on 1986 car

BBQdDude

columbusracing.com chatbox is the leading authority on all new and used vehicle pricing

alternately, you can check ebay for completed listings, autotrader and craigslist for asking prices, and relevant model/make-specific forums if they exist for this vehicle

NADA.com and KBB.com are pretty reliable. However it depends on the car. Something collectible where there is an enthusiasts group or forum is better because there may be options, color combos, and mods that bring a slightly higher or lower price. If you are looking for a price on something like a 1986 toyota tercel then who knows.

kbb does not go that far back (1992 is cut off). Looking at autotrader I think I have a rough idea, just wanted something to confirm it lol.

I haven't used KBB in a while, wasn't aware they had changed their cutoff.

anyway:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars

so what make and model 1986 car are you looking for a value on?

I'm not super familiar with that car, so I'm not sure of the difference between an IROC-Z and a Z/28... Hagerty has them as 2 different cars, that have 3 different engine options each. But here is one of them, as an example.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1986-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z!28

I like them because it gives historical graphs and different levels of prep from a beater to driver to show winner. They don't have every car, but mostly just classic or sought after cars.

Any time I search KBB, NADA, etc. for a 'non-normal' car; old, rare, sought after or high following cars, they are almost always wrong (low) compared to what the market is actually doing. I don't have enough time yet with Hagerty to know how accurate they are, I just like that they have graphs so you might know if it's a good or bad time to sell or buy a particular car.

I'm not super familiar with that car, so I'm not sure of the difference between an IROC-Z and a Z/28.

IROC was an option package on top of the Z/28 package. From Wikipedia:

"...the Camaro IROC-Z featured an upgraded suspension, lowered ride height, specially valved Delco-Bilstein shocks, larger diameter sway bars, a steering/frame brace known as the "wonder bar", a special decal package, and an optional Tuned Port Injection system taken from the Corvette. It also shared the Corvette's Goodyear "Gatorback" unidirectional tires in a 245/50/VR16 size vs. the Corvette's 255/50/VR16 size, and received unique new aluminum 5-spoke 16 by 8 inch wheels. The new wheels were designed with different offsets front and rear..."

Any time I search KBB, NADA, etc. for a 'non-normal' car; old, rare, sought after or high following cars, they are almost always wrong (low) compared to what the market is actually doing. I don't have enough time yet with Hagerty to know how accurate they are, I just like that they have graphs so you might know if it's a good or bad time to sell or buy a particular car.

NADA is compiled from the average of last years sales reported from a variety of sources but mostly from DMV records so they are only as accurate as people reporting info into the DMV. If a car takes a major jump in one year NADA won't really show that. It's good for a rough ballpark. In this case NADA has a value for the IROC ($12,200 top value):

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1986/Chevrolet/Camaro/IROC-Z-2-Door-Sport-Coupe/Values

and the regular Z/28 ($7,250):

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1986/Chevrolet/Camaro-Z28/2-Door-Sport-Coupe/Values

Honestly, I would cross this with sold listings on ebay, and active listings on Autotrader and craigslist.

Third Gen camaro's have their own following and Thirdgen.org's classifieds might show you a little better as to what cars are pulling:

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/camaros-sale/

As someone who bought a 1984 Z28 for $500 and a 1986 Formula 305 for $600 in the early 2000s, I have a hard time looking at one of these and thinking they are worth more than a grand, but that's just me.

1986 iroc z28 stock 84k miles

For what it's worth, my brother had a stock '86 IROC-Z, black w/ gold wheels/stickers, black interior, 70k miles, 350 TPI, immaculate condition (had a recent high quality paint job at the time) and sold it for $6500 in 2012.

Fun facts, '86 was the only year with an external third brake light outside of the hatch, and also had the lowest hp rating of the '85-90 IROC.