computer gurus please step in

russian rocket

hey guys, i have a quick question. i just picked up an msi gt70 2pc dominator 895 laptop. it came with a 1tb hd. it also has the super raid 2 option.

i havent been following all of the computer technology stuff for a long time, so needless to say, im kinda confused by some of the stuff i am reading, so if i am misusing terms or incorrectly associating things, please correct me lol

i want to install a 128gb ssd in one of the 3 msata slots and run the os off of it.

first off is this possible

2nd is super raid 2, msata and m.2 all the same shit?

3rd, how can i transfer the os onto the ssd?

thanks guys

hey guys, i have a quick question. i just picked up an msi gt70 2pc dominator 895 laptop. it came with a 1tb hd. it also has the super raid 2 option.

i havent been following all of the computer technology stuff for a long time, so needless to say, im kinda confused by some of the stuff i am reading, so if i am misusing terms or incorrectly associating things, please correct me lol

i want to install a 128gb ssd in one of the 3 msata slots and run the os off of it.

first off is this possible

2nd is super raid 2, msata and m.2 all the same shit?

3rd, how can i transfer the os onto the ssd?

thanks guys

1. yes

2. msata, and m.2 are different things. I'm not sure what "super raid 2" is, probably some shitty onboard RAID.

3. download/burn/use existing windows dvd/flash drive and reinstall the OS. Windows isn't always happy about transferring, especially HDD to SSD.

#1. Yes, if the raid stripe is just the first two HD slots then the third will just show up as a data drive. Raid 1 is redundant storage that will work in the event one of your drives dies the other will kick on. Raid 0 is performance and sees both drives as one drive. there are other raid configurations but these are the two you most commonly used.

#2. super raid 2 will let you raid up to 3 drives in a type of raid 0 configuration. M.2 is an SSD interface. There is a good chance that the open slot on your system is not SATA but M.2 so if the SSD you have is not an M.2 based SSD then you can't use it. If the open HD slot in your laptop is an M.2 slot then you need to buy a special SSD for it.

#3. Yes it is possible to transfer an OS with the use of software, but the much easier root would be to use the recovery software that came with your new laptop. you can enter the Windows Setup via the recovery software and format the Raid stripe and then tell Windows to install on the SSD.

If you insist on transferring the OS you will want to google it and read guides. I know I used to do it all the time with a piece of software called acronis true image. the process is shaky at best, but it is possible.

3. You would need to use part magic or something similar to shrink the current os partition to under 120gb. Then, once you have that done use clonezilla to copy the system reserved partition and the os partition over to the ssd. Then go into the bios and tell it to boot from ssd.

As Ryan. Mentioned though, Windows doesn't play nice when it comes to changing hardware on an existing windows install. Might be easier just to start from scratch.

Check w/the manufacturer on the m2 sata option (They typically call out what the support. Also a quick look @ the specs it says it is a half height SATA slot (Made for a normal SSD and not the MSATA. Pull out your manual or engage support to validate.

Secondly I would highly suggest getting the 250 Gig or better as the sxs (Side by side) over time will push that little 120 and you will be fighting space for the OS..

Lastly if you get the Samsung SSD version they provide a migration utility to clone the platter/HD to your new speedy SSD.

GL either way

looks like your questions are answered, so I gotta ask, why get a beefy laptop? Especially a model that doesn't have a docking station option... I never understood why people have crazy laptops when you want to use a desktop with multiple monitors, etc...

Thanks for the help guys, I greatly appreciate it! I take your guys archive and just do a clean install. Also after doing enough research I have come to the conclusion that it is msata and not m.2. But I guess if I stack all 3 msata ssds as a raid 0 I can get around 1500mbs read speed and over 1k write.

In this laptop the msata adapter takes place of one of the sata drive bays

looks like your questions are answered, so I gotta ask, why get a beefy laptop? Especially a model that doesn't have a docking station option... I never understood why people have crazy laptops when you want to use a desktop with multiple monitors, etc...

That's easy, I don't own or want a desktop. I need the mobility of a laptop but I use it as my main computer at home too. I want the performance of a desktop but in laptop form so that's why I buy gaming laptops. Plus I bought it for under 900 lol

That's easy, I don't own or want a desktop. I need the mobility of a laptop but I use it as my main computer at home too. I want the performance of a desktop but in laptop form so that's why I buy gaming laptops. Plus I bought it for under 900 lol

If my memory serves me correct, that system has a 4th gen i7 and a GTX 870M? not bad for what its rocking. I had my eye on the Lenovo Y50 for a while which was within the same price bracket as the MSI. Hope you enjoy the system. Were you able to get things setup the way you wanted?

If my memory serves me correct, that system has a 4th gen i7 and a GTX 870M? not bad for what its rocking. I had my eye on the Lenovo Y50 for a while which was within the same price bracket as the MSI. Hope you enjoy the system. Were you able to get things setup the way you wanted?

yep its not too bad of a laptop, i really wanted a brand new sager with all the bells and whistles but than i said fuck, as nice as it would be, it wasnt worth the 2-3k price tag for what i do.

i also looked the lenovo's and almost bought one but changed my mind at the last minute, cant remember why now...

i have not set it up yet, i wanted to make sure that it was possible to do first before i ordered the ssds.

i was thinking about running the samsung evo series ssds, are those pretty decent quality?

any other kind you would recommend that are good on the quality/price category

I was actually looking into RAID 0 SSDs today, after figuring out a bug with my mobo that cant be fixed with a BIOS update wont allow my nice new 950 Pro to boot...

Result from my searching: RAID 0 SSDs offers very little real world performance gains. Just get a big SSD.