Debating on replacing the M Roadster

Second Gen

Another vote for C5 Z06, or an 08+ base if you can find one in your budget.

A common thing with threads like this is "I want an awesome car, in this budget, but I want to be different". The fact of the matter though, is there's a reason why you see the same car(s) over and over within your budget that check all boxes.

Another vote for C5 Z06, or an 08+ base if you can find one in your budget.

A common thing with threads like this is "I want an awesome car, in this budget, but I want to be different". The fact of the matter though, is there's a reason why you see the same car(s) over and over within your budget that check all boxes.

+1

Unique, fast, fun, reliable, and affordable describe very few cars.

I'd suggest checking out the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky turbo. They seem to check that "different" box while still being fast balanced cars that can make decent power.

Have you ever driven one? They are kinda quick, but handle like shit. I mean it's better then a FWD car but that's about it, that chassis is a huge let down for what it was supposed to be.

Have you ever driven one? They are kinda quick, but handle like shit. I mean it's better then a FWD car but that's about it, that chassis is a huge let down for what it was supposed to be.

Nope. Guess I just assumed they could handle decent due to their size. Never mind, just get a corvette like everyone else OP. :)

Here is a budget idea I have been thinking of as a handling "toy":

A first generation bradley GT:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r573/Charlie0687/Facebook/Bradley%20GT%20Kit%20Car%20My%20Restoration%20Project/403117_297685110289105_127958572_n.jpg

Good solid runners can be had for about $2500. They use a VW beetle pan/chassis which means if you found one built on a super beetle chassis you have a McPherson front suspension instead of the solid axle, similar to a Porsche 356 or a 912 but without the monocoque. The fiberglass body means they are lighter than the beetle they are built upon, especially if you strip off all the street gear like bumpers, doors, carpet, and headlights. Basically you end up with a large fiberglass bodied go-kart. I think of them as poor man's lotus but without all the cache attached to the lotus name plate.

I don't think there is a competitive class for auto-x they fit into if you want to chase SCCA points, but for a car that can teach you the basics of chassis setup and balance and then take to a track day or a parking lot cone bashing session you can't really get much more analog or simpler. I figure you can probably do the whole setup plus car for $5K which means you don't need to sell the z4M. The old VW tuning world is huge with great aftermarket support and knowledge base. a 1600cc motor with webers would probably get you in the 100hp ballpark which in a car that weighs 1200-1500lbs is significant.

a 356 replica would deliver the same thing but most good running driving bashers start at $10K and you are really only paying for a body shape at that point. Sure a Bradley is not the most...ahem...pleasing looking car (it's kind of garish even by 60's/70's standards) but you aren't buying it for how cool it looks, you are buying it for all the fun and learning experience you can have making a low powered car embarrass other much more complex cars around a cone course. Avoid the Bradley GT II as those cars use much more proprietary parts and are much heavier. don't expect super build quality either, these were budget kits on an economy car chassis, but again you are looking for something to abuse so it is ok to be a little rough. I can pretty much guarantee you that it would be unique, you don't even see these things are car shows anymore, let alone chasing time.

here is a really nice starting place:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5357518730.html

it's a little pricy for a Bradley but the seller is negotiable.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a budget idea I have been thinking of as a handling "toy":

A first generation bradley GT:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r573/Charlie0687/Facebook/Bradley%20GT%20Kit%20Car%20My%20Restoration%20Project/403117_297685110289105_127958572_n.jpg

Good solid runners can be had for about $2500. They use a VW beetle pan/chassis which means if you found one built on a super beetle chassis you have a McPherson front suspension instead of the solid axle, similar to a Porsche 356 or a 912 but without the monocoque. The fiberglass body means they are lighter than the beetle they are built upon, especially if you strip off all the street gear like bumpers, doors, carpet, and headlights. Basically you end up with a large fiberglass bodied go-kart. I think of them as poor man's lotus but without all the cache attached to the lotus name plate.

I don't think there is a competitive class for auto-x they fit into if you want to chase SCCA points, but for a car that can teach you the basics of chassis setup and balance and then take to a track day or a parking lot cone bashing session you can't really get much more analog or simpler. I figure you can probably do the whole setup plus car for $5K which means you don't need to sell the z4M. The old VW tuning world is huge with great aftermarket support and knowledge base. a 1600cc motor with webers would probably get you in the 100hp ballpark which in a car that weighs 1200-1500lbs is significant.

a 356 replica would deliver the same thing but most good running driving bashers start at $10K and you are really only paying for a body shape at that point. Sure a Bradley is not the most...ahem...pleasing looking car (it's kind of garish even by 60's/70's standards) but you aren't buying it for how cool it looks, you are buying it for all the fun and learning experience you can have making a low powered car embarrass other much more complex cars around a cone course. Avoid the Bradley GT II as those cars use much more proprietary parts and are much heavier. don't expect super build quality either, these were budget kits on an economy car chassis, but again you are looking for something to abuse so it is ok to be a little rough. I can pretty much guarantee you that it would be unique, you don't even see these things are car shows anymore, let alone chasing time.

here is a really nice starting place:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5357518730.html

it's a little pricy for a Bradley but the seller is negotiable.

Those things are atrocious, and should be left to degrade at the trailer parks 99% of them reside.

E30 coupe, S52, 5 lug conversion.

Done

Other than slightly better, but more expensive brake options why would you waste the money on a 5 lug swap?

RX7 4 piston caliper/VW caliper upgrade and done. $400-500

I'd suggest checking out the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky turbo. They seem to check that "different" box while still being fast balanced cars that can make decent power.

Not sure what you exactly drove, but they are not all the same. The solstice is a big fat turd. The sky NA has shitty suspension and is underpowered.

The sky redline with some upgraded braces and a tune (under 1k in mods) I will drive around 99% of all cars. on a twisty road.

Underpowered? I'd say slightly so.

Ill handling? Definitely not!

Not sure what you exactly drove, but they are not all the same. The solstice is a big fat turd. The sky NA has shitty suspension and is underpowered.

The sky redline with some upgraded braces and a tune (under 1k in mods) I will drive around 99% of all cars. on a twisty road.

Underpowered? I'd say slightly so.

Ill handling? Definitely not!

nicki minaj just confirmed i will never own one of these things.

Other than slightly better, but more expensive brake options why would you waste the money on a 5 lug swap?

cheaper wheel options, better caliper clearance, and more availability. I contemplated it for my old e30 but I could never find the z3 or 318ti parts cheap enough. Its not cost effective if you buy new stuff but if you can find a 318ti parts car you get the 5 lugs, the e36 steering rack, and is an easier conversion than the standard e36 swap over.

if you are already going big brakes and coilovers then it makes sense. If you are not then by itself it has little value out side different wheel options.

Those things are atrocious, and should be left to degrade at the trailer parks 99% of them reside.

haters gotta hate. It's a vw beetle underneath. Honestly who cares what body is on a beetle chassis when your race weight is somewhere around 1500lbs wet with driver. Beetles are polarizing cars - either you love them or hate them - but they are simple, rear engined, rwd, cheap, and have huge aftermarket and enthusiast support. if someone really wanted to learn the physical tactile mechanical basics of car setup and not just tune with a laptop I can't think of a better chassis.

besides, is it really all that different than say...an old lotus europa?

also I think you are referring to the wrong car:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5370592894.html

LS swap, some paint, interior and a 4 link in the rear.

cheaper wheel options, better caliper clearance, and more availability. I contemplated it for my old e30 but I could never find the z3 or 318ti parts cheap enough. Its not cost effective if you buy new stuff but if you can find a 318ti parts car you get the 5 lugs, the e36 steering rack, and is an easier conversion than the standard e36 swap over.

if you are already going big brakes and coilovers then it makes sense. If you are not then by itself it has little value out side different wheel options.

Maybe 10 years ago, there are plenty of 4x100 options out there now. And the 318ti only gets you the rear.

$1000 to 5 lug swap + wheels + the BBK OR $400 to be done with it. No brainer.

- owner a 4 lug (BBK) and 5 lug E30s.

Love the thread and keep reading.. Will start my quest (Search) in Feb when I start cleaning up the Z4MR..

Another complication hit the inter-webs in late November when Mazda said it was creating another RX variant that will arrive late this year (Unsure if a RX7 or RX9). Now wondering if I should wait and see the new Wankel / Rotary?

Appreciate all the good info for all that contributed..

If not the new RX I will:

Not look @ a Beetle fiberfab vehicle (As mentioned above love/hate)

Might look at the tube frame (V6/V8) fiberfab versions if available and not something I can update the suspension

Research some of the less complex (Older) BMW's (Still would love to turbo a BMW in-line 6)

Research the Z06 mentioned above. The last Corvette I drove was a C4 and it was a heavy freaking sled (Sorry for those who have these)

I drove a Sky about three years ago and the suspension and interior sucked (With 60K on the chassis)

If not the new RX I will:

Not look @ a Beetle fiberfab vehicle (As mentioned above love/hate)

Might look at the tube frame (V6/V8) fiberfab versions if available and not something I can update the suspension

If you want something tube frame you are going to want to look at the fiberfab valkyrie. Those were tube framed where as the avenger, which used the same body, was vw pan based. There is still a company making them:

http://www.fiberfab.us/

but to be honest, for what you would spend on a tube frame valkyrie you could probably buy a Factory five Daytona coupe roller or a TSC or superperformance roller GT40 and actually end up with a resale value. From a budget standpoint I would look at a factory five 818 at that point since it seems like a pretty neat bit of kit.