This is the LS I'd want in my BRZ

Draco-REX

Yeah.. If I were to ever LS swap my BRZ, I'd want this LS build with EFI.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/4-8l-crank-ls3-block-how-to-build-an-8000-rpm-ls-stroker/

450+lb-ft of torque is plenty for a 2850lb car. And a 8000rpm redline with 600+hp would make it scream. This is seriously making me think about the long-term plans for the car.

Yeah.. If I were to ever LS swap my BRZ, I'd want this LS build with EFI.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/4-8l-crank-ls3-block-how-to-build-an-8000-rpm-ls-stroker/

450+lb-ft of torque is plenty for a 2850lb car. And a 8000rpm redline with 600+hp would make it scream. This is seriously making me think about the long-term plans for the car.

You might have some issues with the height of that intake :). That being said, I have read many articles about these "destroked" LS motors at high RPM - kind of cool. Keep in mind though, the LS7 redlined at 7000+. You don't need to go small cubes to do it (LS7 is 7.0 liters)

You might have some issues with the height of that intake :). That being said, I have read many articles about these "destroked" LS motors at high RPM - kind of cool. Keep in mind though, the LS7 redlined at 7000+. You don't need to go small cubes to do it (LS7 is 7.0 liters)

I turn 7000-7200 while racing in my G8.

Old news. And everything is better with a turbo! ;)

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-a-1000-horsepower-ls-engine-revving-to-almost-8000-rpm/

Same motor NA

And in the car! Just look at that power curve!

I hadn't known this was a thing until I saw that article. The builds you linked look simpler than the one in the article, and probably a lot cheaper. I'd keep it NA though. It'd be hard enough to keep traction without doubling the torque. :D

How much does that combo cost?

The engine in the article looks like it'd be pretty expensive. Poking around Jegs, it looks like it'd be about $6K + long block + tune. But the engines above appear to be simpler builds which should bring the price down considerably.

Add in the swap kit and it's a big chunk to drop on the car. If I were to do something like this to the BRZ, it'd be in place of trading it up into something else.

As always it also becomes a value proposition, does it make sense to put $9k in your $20k car to make it into a modified monster versus trading in and trading up? Though at resell I'm sure you would get SOME of that investment back, as we all have learned you never get a large chunk of that back.

However, I'm in the wagon with the rest of you. A super light weight and nimble frame paired with a high revving angry chevy v8 has been a proven smile provider for years, and would certainly be unique.

I am going to start looking for parts to build one of these on a stand. The key is buying when you don't have to and not selling in a hurry.

I'm betting it will be close to free by the time it is ready and I go to sell my LS1.

I am going to start looking for parts to build one of these on a stand. The key is buying when you don't have to and not selling in a hurry.

I'm betting it will be close to free by the time it is ready and I go to sell my LS1.

That would be cool, and I even have a random engine stand just sitting around. But while I will gladly do any work on the chassis of a car, I don't trust myself to do internal engine work. And I don't think a high-strung, large displacement (for an 8k rpm), franken V8 is the best place to cut my teeth.

Not to mention, the more I look into these builds, the more it looks like the devil is in the details. These aren't simple destrokes.

I here you - if I was in your shoes I wouldn't either. I was lucky enough to find someone who dumped a bunch of money into my chassis to get it ready for an LS so for me to swap it in would be MUCH easier than LS swapping a stock BRZ.

I here you - if I was in your shoes I wouldn't either. I was lucky enough to find someone who dumped a bunch of money into my chassis to get it ready for an LS so for me to swap it in would be MUCH easier than LS swapping a stock BRZ.

I wouldn't consider it if it weren't for the Vorschlag LS swap kit they're developing now. Their swap kits are known for being very high quality and well developed. But it'd be years before I seriously consider a build like this.

The engine in the article looks like it'd be pretty expensive. Poking around Jegs, it looks like it'd be about $6K + long block + tune. But the engines above appear to be simpler builds which should bring the price down considerably.

You can do it on the cheap. A lot depends on cam selection-if you go with a radical cam you need light aftermarket valves/valvetrain as well. If you just slam a 4.8 crank in a 6.0 you can do it pretty cheap. Yes, it would be vrey cool NA! I am tempted to build one-but I already ask a lot out of stock parts. I think asking everything (trans included) to work well at 8k with "max boost" would get expensive in a hurry!

As for your car- no way i would swap a newer, runing clean title car unless you like flushing money right down the toilet!! Staring to see FRS's come up in salvage auctions- thats the ticket there!!

And Rx8's are STUPID cheap-another great option for light/balaced chassie at a cheap buy in.

Mmmmm ls brz, there's a video on YouTube of one and it looks pretty sweet.

Good Lord. The limiter on my 5.3 is 6,200 with wot shift rpm at 5,800 :no:

Everyone said I was playing with fire so I dropped the limiter to 7200 and started shifting at 7000. Left it there till I sold the car. :fuckyeah:

Everyone said I was playing with fire so I dropped the limiter to 7200 and started shifting at 7000. Left it there till I sold the car. :fuckyeah:

STILL 7,000?!

I mean I've read the LS engines with basic valve train upgrades can rev for days....but on a stock engine that seems a little high to me....But that's just me I guess. *The guy who enabled the P/N Abuse limiter at 3,200

STILL 7,000?!

I mean I've read the LS engines with basic valve train upgrades can rev for days....but on a stock engine that seems a little high to me....But that's just me I guess. *The guy who enabled the P/N Abuse limiter at 3,200

I had a cam in mine, no bottom end work. I ran pac style 918 springs with the titanium retainers and hardened pushrods. Rod bolts were stock and everyone said that is the weak point. Meh.... Guy that ended up with my car never changed the limiter or shift points from what I've been told and it's into the 9's still spinning to 7k without issue.