AWD or 4WD?

BBQdDude

Never owned anything 4WD. I have owned a few AWD vehicles.

I am moving late summer and I am starting to think about what daily driver I should get.

Looking at a little south of Silver springs, Colorado. Has about the same weather with a little more snow.

So which would make more sense AWD or 4WD?

Flame suit...engaged lol.

I prefer 4WD cause you can turn it on and off. AWD means all your tires have to be the same tread depth all the time.

Yep. Pissed me off when I hit something and trashed a tire about 20k old in my Subaru. Tire shop called Subaru and it was like 1/32 past what they would say was ok to just put a new tire on (IIRC, new was 10/32, old were @ 7/32). I got lucky though because the shop did road hazard on all 4 so it saved me about 40%. I made sure to get that road hazard again.

You don't want a 4x4 on the street unless you are sure the surface will be slick enough to let some tires move more than others. There is no center diff action.

Generally it's,

Slick icy pavement or a few inches of snow - AWD

Get me out of this ditch or up this dirt trail, foot of snow- 4X4

Yep. Pissed me off when I hit something and trashed a tire about 20k old in my Subaru. Tire shop called Subaru and it was like 1/32 past what they would say was ok to just put a new tire on (IIRC, new was 10/32, old were @ 7/32). I got lucky though because the shop did road hazard on all 4 so it saved me about 40%. I made sure to get that road hazard again.

Tire rack will shave your new tire to match. Not sure who locally offers this but I'm sure some do.

There are AWD options out there with the ability to be 2 wheel drive. Older subaru's had it as simple as adding a fuse to a port labeled FWD. My Dad has a 2012 Outback with push button 2WD option. And, I believe the Mitsu Lancer has the option as well. From what I have seen, auto trans is the only way you can get this with both examples I mentioned. I'm sure there are more out there, and in recent models for other options.

For the tires you can measure your current tread depth (take an average across all the treads/tires) and then call tire rack and they can sell you one new tire that they can "shave down" to your current tread depth. It sucks having to pay full price for a tire that is essentially worn already, but its better than buying 4 new tires.

I own both. I prefer AWD for every day driving. As mentioned above...get me out of this mud or a ditch, 4wd. And 4wd works in ice and snow for me, but I vastly prefer AWD systems. Love my DSM in the snow. My truck does alright too but I hate keeping it in 4wd. I really want to get some snow this year so I can see how the wife's ecoboost automatic-4wd works.

There are also 'hybrid' systems. AWD/4WD. (Given the definition we're using currently in this thread.) For example, my RAV is awd all the time (and not just a reactive system, like many), but it also has an actual 4wd lock for use offroad and hill/descent controls, etc.

I have a 4WD FJ. It is 2WD all the time unless offroad or in some BAD slick stuff.

Ill use the highway for example...sure if its covered in snow you might want 4WD...but "they say" 4WD is best under 45mph in this case and it also turns OFF the Vehicle Stability Control and maybe some other nannies for offroading so IMO its probably safer in 2WD. I think newer ones and especially the 4Runner may be different / better suited for actual 4WD in snow driving.

Systems very within the same vehicle too.

The manual FJs, in comparison are full-time 4WD (AWD?) with a center locking diff so a bit different and probably better for snow than the Automatic one like mine.

decent explanation vid:

Tire rack will shave your new tire to match. Not sure who locally offers this but I'm sure some do.

Tried asking about it and they said they wouldn't do it and didn't know anywhere in town that would. Luckily they were cheap tires (under $100/ea) so with the road hazard discount on all 4, it was like $250 to get a brand new set of tires...and these things though cheap, wear slow as hell. I'll stick with them for that price and life.

Tried asking about it and they said they wouldn't do it and didn't know anywhere in town that would. Luckily they were cheap tires (under $100/ea) so with the road hazard discount on all 4, it was like $250 to get a brand new set of tires...and these things though cheap, wear slow as hell. I'll stick with them for that price and life.

perhaps something to do with that particular tire. I just asked as one of my summer only tires has a very slight defect and they would do it for $35 fee. However, I'm going to live with it until late summer and simply replace them with Michelin Pilot Summer only.

When I was growing up 4wd was for jeeps and trucks and AWD was for cars driven by people who were nervous driving in the rain.

now a days it is near impossible to find a true mechanical 4wd system. Even vehicles like the Jeep grand cherokee use the Quadra Drive and Quadra trac systems that are full time more like AWD units than true 4wd units. There is an internal gerotor in the transfer case that keeps it 2wd and transfers power to the front as needed. the Quadra-drive uses "electronic lsd" which i basically a computer tapping the individual brakes on your otherwise open diff...LOLz.

I think if you want a real 4wd, transfer case stick on the floor and you grab it like man with a slightly satisfying grunt when you engage it, new vehicle you are looking at a jeep wrangler, nissan xterra/frontier, or toyota 4runner. the big advantage to 4wd is the ground clearance. these are all "trucks" and as such 4 feet of snow isn't really going to stop them if they have the right equipment (most have optional locking differentials).

I don't know anything about colorado other than my friend fixes porsche 356's in Denver, but if you think you will be dealing with multi foot snow drifts on unplowed roads or have decided to partake in the many off road and camping trails - 4wd.

Otherwise....don't they issue you a subaru forrester when you move to colorado as some assimilation program?

If you get a 4wd make sure you know the scenarios when to use it. Make sure you turn it off if the roads aren't slick unlike this guy

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/aussiek2000/AE940186-CA06-46DC-BBA2-B0457EC53042.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/aussiek2000/D444A20A-789D-4FAA-9BCA-B9C4561DA60A.jpg

+1 for the AWD DSM ;) But either is fine, really will depend where your going to be or traveling in a Colorado winter, usually not bad but you can get buried in snow. 4wd comes in handy being higher off the ground but in most situations awd will do just fine!

Either of my awd Talons do fine, my 24v Dodge and my wifes Diesel Liberty are like tanks!