career/life decisions

The_buster

I'm honestly surprised so many auto techs haven't looked at the medium/heavy duty truck dealerships. We can't find enough techs, and a solid level 5 tech makes 80-110k a year. 90% guarantee on every hour worked, factory training, ect.

If you're a solid auto tech level 3/4/5 PM me. I can help you make real money.

Prolly because it is back breaking work and get covered in the nasty every day lol

Prolly because it is back breaking work and get covered in the nasty every day lol

Pretty much, I don't like working on 1 ton trucks, really don't picture myself wanting to work on even bigger shit. Of course my body is beat up enough, I wouldn't consider it anyway.

Ok, this may not sound great to some. If you have mechanical ability, have you considered plumbing? You don't need a degree, and you can make pretty decent money if you're a hard worker.

Company's like water works hire guys on, they ride with a plumber for 1yr at a flat hourly rate, then you go on your own and make a percentage based on the jobs you do in a day. After you've been there for 5 yrs you qualify to take the test to get your own license, so i f you ever decided to start your own business, you could.

The main guys I use in my building, make good money.

Funny you mention this. I have a background in water wells. My dad owns his own water well business. But with everyone changing to city water business has been very slow.

Buster, you need a fucking life coach. Someone to wake you up in the morning and punch you in the face when you reach for a Mountain Dew. You need to do exactly what this person tells you to do. Go get certified in plumbing, electrical, HVAC, or the like. Your succeeding wife is going to have enough of this shit, and move on with someone in the medical world. Maybe it's how you are posting it, but it sounds like she is babysitting you. Unfuck your shit now.

Sounds like you want a work from home job so you can be with your kids. Do you know any other languages? You can be a interpreter for a decent wage. If not you can try medical transcriptionist. If you have some computer knowledge and skills some call centers will let you work from home. Many choices out there if you look.

Yes, you get dirty. Yes, there is some heavy lifting. However when 90% of the lifting is done with cranes, tow motors and cherry pickers. It's not that bad.

Go to Indeed and see how many listings are out there for Diesel Tech's. The industry is in need of fresh blood, and pays damn good.

well the wife clarified what she was upset about. Its not the job so much as it was my tool bill. Which I will have paid off in a month. After talking with the manager about time frame and when I will be moving up, he said his long term goal is in 5 years I will be doing all the big jobs(engine tear down and replacement, transmission rebuilds ect), short term is in a couple months i will be moving into flat rate. His reasoning is instead of dumping me in headfirst he was going to slowly ease me into the new stuff as I have no experience.

well the wife clarified what she was upset about. Its not the job so much as it was my tool bill. Which I will have paid off in a month. After talking with the manager about time frame and when I will be moving up, he said his long term goal is in 5 years I will be doing all the big jobs(engine tear down and replacement, transmission rebuilds ect), short term is in a couple months i will be moving into flat rate. His reasoning is instead of dumping me in headfirst he was going to slowly ease me into the new stuff as I have no experience.

So your saying your boss has a better 5 year plan for you life goals than you project for yourself? Guess I'm not one to let my boss or job dictate my direct future on a time frame as they feel fit.

From what you have said hey already are dicking you around you honestly think this won't happen again in later months let alone another 5 years?

Yes, you get dirty. Yes, there is some heavy lifting. However when 90% of the lifting is done with cranes, tow motors and cherry pickers. It's not that bad.

Go to Indeed and see how many listings are out there for Diesel Tech's. The industry is in need of fresh blood, and pays damn good.

I don't know the first thing about diesel other than it doesn't have a spark plug and that propane is like NAWS.

No I'm not going to school to learn it, if I do return to school otd be to leave the mechanic field.

If she's pissed About a tool bill which allows you to make more money eventually either

A. The field isn't for you

B. She isn't for you

Also why would you let anyone tell you when to do anything. I started at Nissan having no dealership experience, had very little knowledge of the brand, couldn't tell you what was a Murano, Rogue or juke without first looking for the name on the car. I wasn't there long but I started doing the basics, LOF, balance and rotates, and before I left 7 or 8 months later I was doing 3 or 4 CVT's a week and throwing headgaskets on stuff and doing whatever came through the door. Did I get burned and lose my ass on some stuff? All the time at first. Did I learn anything? Lots. But it wasn't by being apprehensive and hesitant to do something I wasn't comfortable with. How do you think you are going to learn it? Just by doing oil changes and tires for the next 5 years and magically have the knowledge? Just go in balls deep, fuck Shit up and learn how it works. Mistakes are sometimes the best way to learn. I still run into stuff now that Ive never done before, just take it in stride, think critically and do your best. Now is the time to learn while.you are hourly. Not 4.5 years from now when said boss quits and the next guy comes in and cuts you loose because you have been on the lube rack for half a decade.

If she's pissed About a tool bill which allows you to make more money eventually either

A. The field isn't for you

B. She isn't for you

Also why would you let anyone tell you when to do anything. I started at Nissan having no dealership experience, had very little knowledge of the brand, couldn't tell you what was a Murano, Rogue or juke without first looking for the name on the car. I wasn't there long but I started doing the basics, LOF, balance and rotates, and before I left 7 or 8 months later I was doing 3 or 4 CVT's a week and throwing headgaskets on stuff and doing whatever came through the door. Did I get burned and lose my ass on some stuff? All the time at first. Did I learn anything? Lots. But it wasn't by being apprehensive and hesitant to do something I wasn't comfortable with. How do you think you are going to learn it? Just by doing oil changes and tires for the next 5 years and magically have the knowledge? Just go in balls deep, fuck Shit up and learn how it works. Mistakes are sometimes the best way to learn. I still run into stuff now that Ive never done before, just take it in stride, think critically and do your best. Now is the time to learn while.you are hourly. Not 4.5 years from now when said boss quits and the next guy comes in and cuts you loose because you have been on the lube rack for half a decade.

Pretty much this.

Go into the surgical tech field. If you are good, you will have job security. One of our techs is so good, so efficient, she can practically read my mind. Makes my surgery 100 times easier. She could lie, cheat, steal, call me a faggot right to my face, and I'd never let the hospital fire her.

I don't know the first thing about diesel other than it doesn't have a spark plug and that propane is like NAWS.

No I'm not going to school to learn it, if I do return to school otd be to leave the mechanic field.

Actually the newer CNG/ dual fuel trucks do have spark plugs. Just know there is a way more lucrative side of the industry when you go commercial. We pay for your training, there is no "going back to school" and these trucks run 750k-1.25 million miles at a shot. Lots of service repairs ;)