Challenger Disaster - 30 years later

zeitgeist57

I was in 2nd grade when it happened, but FUCK YOU, Gawker! You ruined the lie-of-a-story that the media perpetuated for at least a few decades.

http://gawker.com/thirty-years-ago-the-challenger-crew-plunged-alive-and-1755727930

Honestly, I find it horrifying that the astronauts were in a position to access their PEAPs and ride the command capsule back to earth. :no::no::no:

You know, I've watched the explosion several times, and I wonder where the other "pieces" went. Clearly, you can see the two SRB's careening off in opposite directions, but it doesn't seem like there are any larger pieces remaining. Not disputing the story so much as posing another question.

You know, I've watched the explosion several times, and I wonder where the other "pieces" went. Clearly, you can see the two SRB's careening off in opposite directions, but it doesn't seem like there are any larger pieces remaining. Not disputing the story so much as posing another question.

i bet they went to the ground

yesterday was the anniversary of the Apollo 1 fire that killed Gus Grissom. Monday is the Anniversary of the Columbia disaster. These things all seem to happen around the same time.

There are a lot of "if"'s in Powell's logic here that I do not know I subscribe to. He bases his assertion on the cabin not losing pressure, however, this does not account for G-forces, possible environment contamination (smoke or chemicals in the pressurized air), that the "jolt" had not broken lose internal components that were now whirring around inside the cabin like a blender, etc... It's a horrific image to have in one's head that they saw the earth rising to meet them for the whole ride, but I don't think we will ever know if that happened or not.

I remember seeing this (3rd grade). I remember one of our teaches had entered the TISP contest and although she hadn't been selected we were still watching it like we had some connection to it. For as long as I live I don't think I will ever forget seeing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster#Recovery_of_debris

The recovery operation was able to pull 15 short tons (14 t) of debris from the ocean; 55% of Challenger, 5% of the crew cabin and 65% of the satellite cargo is still missing.[40] Some of the missing debris continued to wash up on Florida shores for some years, such as on December 17, 1996, nearly 11 years after the incident, when two large pieces of the shuttle were found at Cocoa Beach.[41] Under 18 U.S.C. § 641 it is against the law to be in possession of Challenger debris, and any newly discovered pieces must be turned over to NASA.[42]

there is also this:

http://articles.philly.com/1986-04-15/news/26076331_1_stena-workhorse-rocket-booster-presidential-shuttle-commission

reading about the cabin recovery is supremely sad though. six weeks in salt water and with marine life picking at it, and yet almost all the bodies were intact inside the crushed cabin.

Sad for all the tragedies and it reminds us that space flight is never routine or easy. I was always a huge fan of the shuttle and was sad to see them retire.

I think i read a quote once about launch day, that its a good day when its heading toward the sky and a bad one if its heading toward the ground.