Mexican RAM 700 Adventurer (FIAT mini-truck)

zeitgeist57

Was coming out from lunch and saw this thing at the NW corner of Bethel and Sawmill, by the Mexican/Latin-American market. I've seen pics of these but it was pretty cool to see one in person. Still has the Mexican license plates and registration stickers in the windows! 5-speed stick, 4WD with lockers...

http://i.imgur.com/cHS0KhY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zoQAJ4U.jpg

Bigger than I expected; about the size of a Subaru Legacy wagon but taller. I would think something like this would sell well in the USA if it was priced to compete.

It's hard to compete on price with domestic trucks, and the chicken tax would kill it altogether. It looks sweet though.

chicken tax notwithstanding, is there even a market for small pickups anymore? The Ranger and S10 are dead, and the Colorado has bloated to something that is roughly the size of a 1998 1500 silverado. Where the money is the market always finds a way (see the ford Courier, Chevy LUV, and subaru brat as examples) and nobody seems to be finding a way these days.

Still a neat truck though.

chicken tax notwithstanding, is there even a market for small pickups anymore? The Ranger and S10 are dead, and the Colorado has bloated to something that is roughly the size of a 1998 1500 silverado. Where the money is the market always finds a way (see the ford Courier, Chevy LUV, and subaru brat as examples) and nobody seems to be finding a way these days.

There's a market, I just don't think it's very profitable. This is one of the many cases where the masses might want a nice, cheap, reliable vehicle that does one thing very well, but the people who buy King Ranch edition F-150s and loaded Yukon Denalis (and the profit margin that goes into them) end up dictating what gets made.

There's a market, I just don't think it's very profitable. This is one of the many cases where the masses might want a nice, cheap, reliable vehicle that does one thing very well, but the people who buy King Ranch edition F-150s and loaded Yukon Denalis (and the profit margin that goes into them) end up dictating what gets made.

true. like anything in the American market the way to maximize profit is to push options. I think the ford transit is a victim of this. When introduced in 2010 it was a cheap, reliable "bread van" with a few convenience options aimed at the people who thought an E350 was too big for their needs. the original MSRP was roughly $22K, highest spec was maybe $24K. While the base van is still there it is now possible to have a $33K transit connect. A quick search of ford's inventory shows most transit connects at about $26K-$27K, even the cargo ones.

I love small trucks. Despite being roughly the same dimensions as andre the giant I spent many a summer delivering radiators in a 2wd toyota tacoma with 300K miles on it. it was plucky, stick, and awesome. There is a brand new tacoma in my complex's lot and the thing looks massive. I would be a small truck buyer but the problem I run into is that the bed has to hold a motorcycle, something the subaru Baja and similar small trucks don't seem to grasp. So I daydream about nissan Frontier Pro-4Xs sad that there are no more tiny 2wd tacomas doing the light lifting in america.

First of all, that thing is butt ugly. Wow......

Second, the reason that small trucks like this don't work here anymore is that people buy the big F-150/Silverado/Ram and use them as a multipurpose tool. They can drive it to work during the day without being cramped, pile the S.O. and three kids in it at night to go to dinner, and then load up the bed and haul a camper/boat/trailer with them on summer vacations (rare occasions). Buyers want the space and features even if a lot of them don't use the truck's capabilities outside of passenger space.

The last year we had new Rangers for sale, the majority of people who bought them were 60+ year old men. No kids, retired/semi-retired and only had to worry about their wife or the dog that he got once his wife passed.

Edited by Fiji ST

The last year we had new Rangers for sale, the majority of people who bought them were 60+ year old men. No kids, retired/semi-retired and only had to worry about their wife or the dog that he got once his wife passed.

you had 2012 left overs for sale in 2015? wish I had known.

you had 2012 left overs for sale in 2015? wish I had known.

What? We haven't had Rangers since 2011.

He didn't see where you said "THE last year..." You didn't miss a sale...he wouldn't have bought one anyway. :)

I hear you on the Ranger demographic: my uncle was a 30+ year, upper-management retiree from BellSouth in Atlanta. Made a great living, $2MM lake house...and the dude replaced his DD '85 GMC S-15 with a 2WD Ranger in 2009ish. Still rocks it today. No need for that Southern Gentleman to rock a BMW 7-series on lease...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/09/question-of-the-day-small-pickup/

Chicken Tax? $heeeeit...if a company sold a new small pickup truck with an 8ft bed in kit form (from bumper-to-bumper, including engine and transmission) I'd be interested in buying it and building it myself. Too bad Federal emissions and collision requirements make that sort of prospect cost-prohibitive.

Lol, my retired neighbor has 2 older Jaguar coupes and daily drives a single cab Ranger.

OMG, has anyone ever gotten behind a Ranger that wasn't driving at least 10 under? lol Never pick the lane with the Ranger.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/09/question-of-the-day-small-pickup/

Chicken Tax? $heeeeit...if a company sold a new small pickup truck with an 8ft bed in kit form (from bumper-to-bumper, including engine and transmission) I'd be interested in buying it and building it myself. Too bad Federal emissions and collision requirements make that sort of prospect cost-prohibitive.

This could be quite possible with the new laws this year.

First of all, that thing is butt ugly. Wow......

Second, the reason that small trucks like this don't work here anymore is that people buy the big F-150/Silverado/Ram and use them as a multipurpose tool. They can drive it to work during the day without being cramped, pile the S.O. and three kids in it at night to go to dinner, and then load up the bed and haul a camper/boat/trailer with them on summer vacations (rare occasions). Buyers want the space and features even if a lot of them don't use the truck's capabilities outside of passenger space.

That's because the majority of people in America who buy trucks are morons. People buy a truck 2+Xs the size they will ever need.

US truck buyers want fancy electronic doodads.

They also want trucks.

the original MSRP was roughly $22K. A quick search of ford's inventory shows most transit connects at about $26K-$27K.

So in 6 years they appreciated a few grand? You don't say.

sad that there are no more tiny 2wd tacomas doing the light lifting in america.

Wrong. PreRunner. Still around.

"Under the hood Toyota will offer a 2.7 Liter I4 paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission or the existing 5-speed manual and a 3.5-liter V6 which runs Toyota's D-4S system switching from port to direct injection based on driving conditions and runs on the Atkinson cycle using VVT-iW variable valve timing. The 3.5-liter V6 delivers 278 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. This engine will be offered in both a 6-speed automatic and manual transmissions. EPA-estimated city/highway/combined mpg for the 4x2 automatic is 19/24/21 and 18/23/20 for the 4x4 automatic."

That's because the majority of people in America who buy trucks are morons. People buy a truck 2+Xs the size they will ever need.

People also buy cars with 2 times the HP they need. Doesn't mean they don't get them or deserve to purchase them if the wish.

They also want trucks.

the original MSRP was roughly $22K. A quick search of ford's inventory shows most transit connects at about $26K-$27K.

So in 6 years they appreciated a few grand? You don't say.

they didn't appreciate hardly at all Base price inflated less than $1000, but all the dealers stack them with options that weren't initially available on the platform.