Contractor to install exterior doors?

evan9381

I'm getting new windows soon. I've already found who I'm going to go with. I asked him about doors as well, and the prices are more than I want to pay for this house.

I've found doors at Lowes for <$350 that are what I want and will be fine for the house.

Does anyone have someone good that can do all this? Probably need to have the doors measured, as we installed some subfloor tiles over the slab that raised the interior floor about 1.5", and thus we had to cut the bottoms of the doors so they'd be able to open. I planned to replace the doors when we did all that, but life got in the way. I *might* need to order custom cut doors, at like 78-79" vs the standard 80-81". On the other hand, if there is enough space ABOVE the door to just put a 1x6 or so at the bottom and raise the door frame up and use a standard sized door, I'm fine with that.

Bottom line, I'm tired of my floors being ice cold 2' from the door. I know I'm losing a lot of heat right out of that space.

I've been looking around online and people are saying Lowes contractors are hit or miss. Some said that Lowes kinda gets the bottom of the bucket because all of the good ones have their own established business. I guess it makes sense, but first hand testimonials are good as well.

Side question... Who did you go with for windows and what kind of windows are you getting? I need to start getting quotes for my house. Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't go with Lowe's or HD. It will be hit or miss with the contractors they choose. They go with the lowest bid from contractors. Remember, you get what you pay for. Other than that piece of advise, I have no clue who to refer you to.

Side question... Who did you go with for windows and what kind of windows are you getting? I need to start getting quotes for my house. Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't go with Lowe's or HD. It will be hit or miss with the contractors they choose. They go with the lowest bid from contractors. Remember, you get what you pay for. Other than that piece of advise, I have no clue who to refer you to.

They sort of do. A friend of mine is a flooring contractor and has his own company but is also on Lowes flooring contractor list. Basically you agree to certain pricing then they call you with jobs. There could be a dozen guys on their list and it's just about who has an opening.

long story shortened, I found a post on Reddit where a guy made a big guide to windows...basically said stuff the box stores sell (Pella, Anderson, Jeldwen, etc) are all junk. They use old technology, metal spacers, etc. Said Rosatti is junk because their frames are so big, it cuts down A LOT on the glass area. This guy even went as far as researching state by state the window manufacturers that looked best. For OH, he listed Polaris, Softlite, and Vinylmax (I think that was the name of the 3rd one). I emailed Polaris which is just a wholesaler, and they sent my email to a sales rep who sent it to a company here local. I checked with other companies that did Polaris and Softlite, but the prices weren't competitive with the first quote I got. The 2nd company that came out did both Softlite and Polaris, but the only way to be close was to do Softlite and the manufacturers sale which ended like 3 days later. Guy wasn't pressuring me at all, just a "here's what it is" mentality. I appreciated that. He was only at my house about 10 minutes to measure the windows, said it's X per opening, but after 12/31 the sale is over and the prices go back up like 35%. I also talked to a guy from that same thread who knows the guy I'm dealing with and said he's a good guy and they do good work.

So, Polaris is the window brand, Thermaweld line (it's their mid-range and supposed to be best bang for the buck). I've got 8 windows and he's got me at about $3800. His name is Cale Bowling and he's with Advantage Exteriors.

The doors though are looking like an extra $3k+, which isn't quite in my budget right now.

Pella in our house and they've held up really well. 11yrs old now. They are spot-on about warranty and misc. fixes we've needed. Couple springs popped and one seal failed over the years.

Installer gave me extra springs for nearly all the windows for n/c just in case we needed more in the future there would be no wait to order or get them. Very cool guy.

Not sure if they do installs on net-new but I'm sure they do. Quality has been very good for what they are. I bought 1 level up from mid-grade but not the top of the line. Can't recall the pricing.

Used them for our storm doors too.

Doors, windows, anything else he tackles? Always interested in keeping a Rolodex of referrals people here trust.

Thanks!

Doors and windows. He is older and has a few health issues, so he doesn't like all 2nd story or big jobs anymore, but for exterior doors he is the man. Also sells Polaris windows and doors, which many in the industry consider to be one of the best vinyl products you can buy.

long story shortened, I found a post on Reddit where a guy made a big guide to windows...basically said stuff the box stores sell (Pella, Anderson, Jeldwen, etc) are all junk. They use old technology, metal spacers, etc. Said Rosatti is junk because their frames are so big, it cuts down A LOT on the glass area. This guy even went as far as researching state by state the window manufacturers that looked best. For OH, he listed Polaris, Softlite, and Vinylmax (I think that was the name of the 3rd one). I emailed Polaris which is just a wholesaler, and they sent my email to a sales rep who sent it to a company here local. I checked with other companies that did Polaris and Softlite, but the prices weren't competitive with the first quote I got. The 2nd company that came out did both Softlite and Polaris, but the only way to be close was to do Softlite and the manufacturers sale which ended like 3 days later. Guy wasn't pressuring me at all, just a "here's what it is" mentality. I appreciated that. He was only at my house about 10 minutes to measure the windows, said it's X per opening, but after 12/31 the sale is over and the prices go back up like 35%. I also talked to a guy from that same thread who knows the guy I'm dealing with and said he's a good guy and they do good work.

So, Polaris is the window brand, Thermaweld line (it's their mid-range and supposed to be best bang for the buck). I've got 8 windows and he's got me at about $3800. His name is Cale Bowling and he's with Advantage Exteriors.

The doors though are looking like an extra $3k+, which isn't quite in my budget right now.

Jack sells Polaris products near cost and makes his money on the install

Jack sells Polaris products near cost and makes his money on the install

So he's coming out Saturday to see what I've got and measure and stuff. I will say though, once I can get a few addresses of his work to check out, if it's good, I'm going with him. Quotes from my other guy were about $3800 for mid range stuff and $4200 for top of the line. Jack told me for mid range line about $320ish/window installed, and to upgrade would be about $10/window more.

For the non math wizards, even at $350/window, that's $2800 for the top model, installed. $1400 less than my other quote.

For door installs, I would recommend Kevin Lilly @ ASA Carpentry or Joe Schneider @ Addis Construction. Both are certified installers for Lowe's and do great work. If you get a quote directly from them without going thru Lowe's, I would imagine it would probably be a little cheaper.

Yes, Lowe's and Depot are definitely hit or miss. In my five years working for the Hilliard Lowes, we had two great door installers (Kevin and Joe) and two terrible ones (NCF National and Mark Adair).

So he's coming out Saturday to see what I've got and measure and stuff. I will say though, once I can get a few addresses of his work to check out, if it's good, I'm going with him. Quotes from my other guy were about $3800 for mid range stuff and $4200 for top of the line. Jack told me for mid range line about $320ish/window installed, and to upgrade would be about $10/window more.

For the non math wizards, even at $350/window, that's $2800 for the top model, installed. $1400 less than my other quote.

I can send pics of my windows tomorrow if you want. The only door I have from him is a sliding door.

Yep. That's the top model. When he was like "well, to upgrade you're looking at about $10/window more" I almost laughed because it's such a minor increase.

We are the 2nd house from a corner and the first night with the new windows we slept like rocks because our bedroom was so much quieter. We replaced 25 year old alum clad wood windows.

Now, remember though, they are replacements, so you lose just a little bit of the view, but everyone says I am crazy and the only one who has noticed.

The windows in my house were replaced approximately 15 years ago with vinyl. Is it too soon to be having them replaced again? Since mine were already replaced, will they have to replace the frame again or can they just replace windows? Anyone know?

We are the 2nd house from a corner and the first night with the new windows we slept like rocks because our bedroom was so much quieter. We replaced 25 year old alum clad wood windows.

Now, remember though, they are replacements, so you lose just a little bit of the view, but everyone says I am crazy and the only one who has noticed.

The Thermaweld (next line down) have a slightly thinner frame, but it's not supposed to be a whole lot more over the Ultrawelds. I think the guy told me it's like 1/2" or so.

My next question, and I might as well put this out there for everyone, is, do you know what this guys deal is as far as licensing and stuff? I checked on City of Columbus and they don't have him listed, but then again, they don't have the first guy I talked to either. Maybe licensed through somewhere else? I found Jack licensed with Columbus in 2012, but not the most recent 2/1/16 list they put out. I also didn't find much on him or the company searching around online, such as other people who have used him. Hopefully he can give me some references and other houses to check out their work. I've seen 4 houses from the first guy, and they look fine from the outside, but who is to say there aren't issues I can't see from the inside/up close.

Just hoping this massive price difference isn't a "too good to be true" deal. I trust you, but also want to make sure I'm making a good decision since it'll be a long term investment.

The Thermaweld (next line down) have a slightly thinner frame, but it's not supposed to be a whole lot more over the Ultrawelds. I think the guy told me it's like 1/2" or so.

My next question, and I might as well put this out there for everyone, is, do you know what this guys deal is as far as licensing and stuff? I checked on City of Columbus and they don't have him listed, but then again, they don't have the first guy I talked to either. Maybe licensed through somewhere else? I found Jack licensed with Columbus in 2012, but not the most recent 2/1/16 list they put out. I also didn't find much on him or the company searching around online, such as other people who have used him. Hopefully he can give me some references and other houses to check out their work. I've seen 4 houses from the first guy, and they look fine from the outside, but who is to say there aren't issues I can't see from the inside/up close.

Just hoping this massive price difference isn't a "too good to be true" deal. I trust you, but also want to make sure I'm making a good decision since it'll be a long term investment.

Jack is semi retired, been in business for himself doing this since 1972. He lives in Fairfield county, so try there. He just recently stopped doing large new builds and renos due to health problems. Like I said I can send you pics, my dad (who was a builder for 50 years) got some work done by him and was impressed.

Jack is semi retired, been in business for himself doing this since 1972. He lives in Fairfield county, so try there. He just recently stopped doing large new builds and renos due to health problems. Like I said I can send you pics, my dad (who was a builder for 50 years) got some work done by him and was impressed.

Sounds good. I'll look into that. Whenever you have a chance with pics, I'd like to see em.

thanks again!