Black Lives Matter activist commits suicide outside the Ohio Statehouse

ShowHBK

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need for this to go to the kitchen, assuming the thought was this would end up on a racism path. Nowhere on this forum is that tolerated.

Being homeless and then on a path to make a difference, we can't read about this and think there is something we can rationalize about his action. Glad he didn't take anyone with him. If it was demons he wrestled, I hope he's at rest. If it's vengeance he wished to come from his sacrifice, then let his anger rest.

No need for this to go to the kitchen, assuming the thought was this would end up on a racism path.

Not even kinda thought that... just to get that out there. It seemed to me like a really bad way to "stick it to the man" and a very sad situation.

It seemed to me like a really bad way to "stick it to the man" and a very sad situation.

Agreed, that a somewhat unknown person taking their life where he did, would be cause enough to make a difference in what he found frustration with.

I'll be running for office soon.

I have to say, each day it is starting to look more and more like the 1960's in our modern age.

Anybody remember this image from their history textbooks?

Th%C3%ADch_Qu%E1%BA%A3ng_%C4%90%E1%BB%A9c_self-immolation.jpg

This was a Buddhist monk who self immolated in protest of the persecution of buddhists in South Vietnam in 1963.

The idea of suicide in furtherance of political protest, or self martyrdom is centuries old. however there seems to be this movement to down play the message due to the act itself. There are two tragedies here: 1) that this was performed by a young man who had more to give to this world and whose exhaustion and frustration drove him to extreme and irrational thinking, and 2) that we use "mental" illness as a means of downplaying the message that he was trying to express. Instead of pitying him for being driven to these extremes, we as a society should recognize that these inequalities still exist and that they drive people to things like this often.

1966-1968 was the most violent era of racial inequality protests in the history of America as well as an era of extreme political dichotomy. People went to extremes to carry the message of inequality in that period, opposing political factions fought int he streets violently, and here we are 50 years later and people are still going to extremes to protest racial inequality and the country is now as polarized as it was during that same era. You know how they say those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it?

I have to say, each day it is starting to look more and more like the 1960's in our modern age.

Anybody remember this image from their history textbooks?

Th%C3%ADch_Qu%E1%BA%A3ng_%C4%90%E1%BB%A9c_self-immolation.jpg

This was a Buddhist monk who self immolated in protest of the persecution of buddhists in South Vietnam in 1963.

The idea of suicide in furtherance of political protest, or self martyrdom is centuries old. however there seems to be this movement to down play the message due to the act itself. There are two tragedies here: 1) that this was performed by a young man who had more to give to this world and whose exhaustion and frustration drove him to extreme and irrational thinking, and 2) that we use "mental" illness as a means of downplaying the message that he was trying to express. Instead of pitying him for being driven to these extremes, we as a society should recognize that these inequalities still exist and that they drive people to things like this often.

1966-1968 was the most violent era of racial inequality protests in the history of America as well as an era of extreme political dichotomy. People went to extremes to carry the message of inequality in that period, opposing political factions fought int he streets violently, and here we are 50 years later and people are still going to extremes to protest racial inequality and the country is now as polarized as it was during that same era. You know how they say those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it?

The street I lived on in Vietnam name after that monk. There's a temple one and a half block from my house also name after him.

That's all I have to share. Carry on

Sorry to hear it happen. I hope that his personal struggles are not taken advantage of to fit ones cause for publicity.

At the end of the day, until black lives matter to black people and they are willing to invest their time instead of scapegoating.... nothing will change.

Sorry to hear it happen. I hope that his personal struggles are not taken advantage of to fit ones cause for publicity.

At the end of the day, until black lives matter to black people and they are willing to invest their time instead of scapegoating.... nothing will change.

Unfortunately, you are correct. Until they respect each other, nothing will change. How does a black person expect the rest the world to take them seriously, when they virtually murder each other routinely. More black people are killed by black people than white people, every single year. The statistics are out there. I have lots of black friends, all who are successful and can't understand this themselves. Unfortunately our government has done nothing for these people. I thought when we elected a black president, that now there would be the time for black people to understand that opportunity exists out in the world other than with crime. Our president has done nothing but push people further down into the system by providing free money and looking for free money in and out as the "opportunity". Our president has failed the black people, and he doesn't seem to even care.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/08/st-paul-shooting-arrest/

Unfortunately, you are correct. Until they respect each other, nothing will change. How does a black person expect the rest the world to take them seriously, when they virtually murder each other routinely. More black people are killed by black people than white people, every single year. The statistics are out there. I have lots of black friends, all who are successful and can't understand this themselves. Unfortunately our government has done nothing for these people. I thought when we elected a black president, that now there would be the time for black people to understand that opportunity exists out in the world other than with crime. Our president has done nothing but push people further down into the system by providing free money and looking for free money in and out as the "opportunity". Our president has failed the black people, and he doesn't seem to even care.

He has divided the races more in the last 8 years, rather than make any attempt to bring them together.

No need for this to go to the kitchen, assuming the thought was this would end up on a racism path. Nowhere on this forum is that tolerated.

Being homeless and then on a path to make a difference, we can't read about this and think there is something we can rationalize about his action. Glad he didn't take anyone with him. If it was demons he wrestled, I hope he's at rest. If it's vengeance he wished to come from his sacrifice, then let his anger rest.

Two really good posts that needed re-quoted/liked.

+1. Obama's reaction to the race riots of recent has been absolutely nothing short of sickening. If the races were reversed with the Treyvon incident, and we had a white president making comments about justice for (a white) Treyvon, he'd instantly be public enemy #1 and on high alert for assassination. Thank God we've only got 11 more months of this ignorant fuck.