Black Lives Matter activist commits suicide outside the Ohio Statehouse

ShowHBK

Unfortunately, you are correct. Until they respect each other, nothing will change. How does a black person expect the rest the world to take them seriously, when they virtually murder each other routinely....

This is crap. Violence, drugs, crime, these are symptoms of poverty, not race. You see the same thing in slightly different flavors in many poor communities. Poverty disproportionally affects the minority communities, esp the black community. the Latino and Asian communities have just as much if not more in their communities but as Americans we don't consider this a problem of racial bias against citizens because it is tied to the trafficking of immigrants in to this country. The government needs to change it's focus from curing symptoms to curing the disease. One of the reason poverty is so prevalent among minority groups are the kinds of inequalities that the black lives matter movement is looking to address through awareness.

The government hasn't failed any one particular racial group. The government has failed America as a whole by waging war on poor people rather than poverty itself, and this is most felt in the black community, in the latino community, and the Native American community among others.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All valid points brought up in this thread.

I am also inclined to look more towards the income inequality having more of an effect on racial tensions: if you travel around the state like I do, there is far more NEW examples of poverty and government-assistance need/abuse in rural white America in 2015 than black America these days. Look at the opoid/meth/heroin abuse...was a problem for generations in the black community, when there was a "War on Drugs". Now that it's a white problem (even in the suburbs), we preach tolerance, understanding, and treatment.

Larger picture, the problem is even more rooted in our society and how we treat each other: "fake it til ya make it" on social media has more of a value than face-to-face relationships, hard work, and personal success/satisfaction (however that's measured!). As a father, my thoughts go out to his family and friends for their loss, not how the rest of the world reacts to a senseless death.

All valid points brought up in this thread.

I am also inclined to look more towards the income inequality having more of an effect on racial tensions: if you travel around the state like I do, there is far more NEW examples of poverty and government-assistance need/abuse in rural white America in 2015 than black America these days. Look at the opoid/meth/heroin abuse...was a problem for generations in the black community, when there was a "War on Drugs". Now that it's a white problem (even in the suburbs), we preach tolerance, understanding, and treatment.

Larger picture, the problem is even more rooted in our society and how we treat each other: "fake it til ya make it" on social media has more of a value than face-to-face relationships, hard work, and personal success/satisfaction (however that's measured!). As a father, my thoughts go out to his family and friends for their loss, not how the rest of the world reacts to a senseless death.

Just moved to marion from the dublin/powell/lewis center area. Holy shit the walmart up here is filled with these people. Usually have several hundred dollars in junk food piled up among 2 carts making me look poor as fuck.

Just moved to marion from the dublin/powell/lewis center area. Holy shit the walmart up here is filled with these people. Usually have several hundred dollars in junk food piled up among 2 carts making me look poor as fuck.

go in at like 4-6am the day of when money is credited to accounts, it's quite the scene. With that said entitlements and generations of it has caused its fair share of damage.

Unfortunately, you are correct. Until they respect each other, nothing will change. How does a black person expect the rest the world to take them seriously, when they virtually murder each other routinely. More black people are killed by black people than white people, every single year. The statistics are out there. I have lots of black friends, all who are successful and can't understand this themselves. Unfortunately our government has done nothing for these people. I thought when we elected a black president, that now there would be the time for black people to understand that opportunity exists out in the world other than with crime. Our president has done nothing but push people further down into the system by providing free money and looking for free money in and out as the "opportunity". Our president has failed the black people, and he doesn't seem to even care.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/08/st-paul-shooting-arrest/

This is all that needs to be said! I can only hope more people realize it!

One of the reason poverty is so prevalent among minority groups are the kinds of inequalities that the black lives matter movement is looking to address through awareness.

Spent like... 25 minutes writing a reply to this entire post.. Had to delete it... not worth it...

TL;DR: Its a damn shame how the guy decided to end his life and I honestly feel bad for him. I really wish the guy could have gotten the help he needed. You are completely misinformed on BLM and I disagree with how they go about their business 100% (Google their cringe worthy moments sometime). The country has not failed anyone... many people failed themselves sadly. Making yourself a better person is a never ending process, nothing is perfect.

No matter what you feel about #BLM, gun control, Obamacare, etc, the last couple years of uproar in this country contains one significant message that both the left and right in this country can agree on: we need a serious referendum on mental health and accessibility for those in need, as well as the need to remove the stigma of people who have mental health issues. A lot of the bullshit we waste political capital posturing on would probably be significantly marginalized if not solved if we as a country had a better outlook on people's "inner demons".

Spent like... 25 minutes writing a reply to this entire post.. Had to delete it... not worth it...

TL;DR: Its a damn shame how the guy decided to end his life and I honestly feel bad for him. I really wish the guy could have gotten the help he needed. You are completely misinformed on BLM and I disagree with how they go about their business 100% (Google their cringe worthy moments sometime). The country has not failed anyone... many people failed themselves sadly. Making yourself a better person is a never ending process, nothing is perfect.

TL;DR: you do not understand social inequality in this country and its economic ramifications.

No matter what you feel about #BLM, gun control, Obamacare, etc, the last couple years of uproar in this country contains one significant message that both the left and right in this country can agree on: we need a serious referendum on mental health and accessibility for those in need, as well as the need to remove the stigma of people who have mental health issues. A lot of the bullshit we waste political capital posturing on would probably be significantly marginalized if not solved if we as a country had a better outlook on people's "inner demons".

Circle gets the square.

Its 2016, we need to stop hating people because of who they want to fuck, what color they are, or what god they want to ask for help.

If you're going to hate someone, hate them for the trash they are as a person.

TL;DR: you do not understand social inequality in this country and its economic ramifications.

Whah! Don't like you're economic situation, get off your ass and make something of yourself. There is nothing in this country to prevent someone of any race/creed/religion from being a multi-billionaire.

I don't wish death on anyone, but I'm not going to lose sleep over any of this. I take care of myself and mine. I don't know how to solve any of these issues in our country right now, and if you know how, maybe you should run for office somewhere and make a difference. If you have valid points and a logical solution I will vote for you.

There is plenty in this country like overt and latent racism, access to education, economic disparity, geographic considerations, access to health care, government intervention, and so on to prevent someone of any race/creed/religion from being a multi-billionaire.

Fixed it for you.