Fix the trans, or swap it?

zeitgeist57

My '82 Ford F100 has the "RAT 3.03" 3-speed manual behind the 300ci inline-6, and I've enjoyed driving the thing around for the last few years. However, after dropping the suspension front and rear (without correcting the pinion angle) I went from eating up both U-joints to now turning the transmission into a rock-tumbler. It still rolls fine, but at LEAST the input/output shaft bearings need replaced, and in 3rd gear it sounds terrible while transmitting a lot of progressively-worse gear noise through the floor shifter at highway speeds. I put Firestone Winterforce tires on it so it's been my local, winter-DD with great results. I do want to keep this thing running.

When I got the truck a few years ago, it came with a Ford T18 (heavy-duty 4-speed non-OD with a granny-gear low) in the bed that I had checked over up at MD Transmissions in Delaware. It is in great shape...BUT, the output is a fixed yoke. The '82 3-speed uses a one-piece, slip yoke.

I tried selling the T18 since it sits in my garage, and I have to say it is the only item that Craigslist doesn't want to buy or trade for. :lol:

CR, do I

1) Pay to have the 3-speed rebuilt for around $300-400 (or just get a rebuild kit for $125 and try to rebuild it myself) in my tee-ruk...or

2) Try to find and rebuild a 2-piece rear driveshaft ($100-$250) and bolt in a transmission I haven't had experience with before?

Technical help welcomed. Thanks in advance!

I feel like this thread has been made before.

Have you corrected the pinion angle yet? That should be your priority, otherwise you'll continue to jack up your driveline. Once the angle is taken care of, I'd just get a new driveshaft and use the 4 speed that you know is good. Or maybe look for a used 3 speed that's known to be good and do a direct swap?

Clay, I have always told you the moment you want to sell cletus you need to give me a call. So...as cletus's potential future owner - fix the pinon angle and then just do the T18 swap. You already have it. Plus if you finally come to your senses and decide to v8 swap the thing later on you'll already be set up.

I'd nail down the cost for the custom drive shaft before I swapped in the 4 speed. That could easily be the deal breaker.

Indeed. I can't find a 2-piece (used behind the 4-speed in 70's/80's F-250 longbed configurations) driveshaft within 200 miles of here...

Any chance a modern 5 speed out of a newer f-150 would fit?

That's a good call. It would, but the cost of the tranny, converting the link-clutch to a hydraulic setup, new speedo cable, new driveshaft...easily worth more than the truck. When I thought of this option, I quickly resorted to just rebuilding the 3-speed.

I feel like this thread has been made before.

Have you corrected the pinion angle yet? That should be your priority, otherwise you'll continue to jack up your driveline. Once the angle is taken care of, I'd just get a new driveshaft and use the 4 speed that you know is good. Or maybe look for a used 3 speed that's known to be good and do a direct swap?

I think I did make a similar thread...but it's definitely feeling like now I need to do something. :lol: Pinion angle will be fixed with some "new" used springs for the rear.